2 Questions about LORs

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
emoney8907

2 Questions about LORs

Postby emoney8907 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:38 am

1) I'm trying to apply to 12 schools, and have a separate LOR assigned for each school. However, when I try to make 12 letters for each of my recommenders, the drop-down menu has 10 as a maximum (on the LSAC LOR page). Is there any way to create more than 10 letters for each recommender?

2) What are these evaluation things and are they necessary? How much can they help/is it something worth asking your recommenders to do as well? Same problem as #1 also applies to these as the maximum from the drop-down menu is 10 evaluations per evaluator.

Answers to both issues would be greatly appreciated.

Knock

Re: 2 Questions about LORs

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:42 am

emoney8907 wrote:1) I'm trying to apply to 12 schools, and have a separate LOR assigned for each school. However, when I try to make 12 letters for each of my recommenders, the drop-down menu has 10 as a maximum (on the LSAC LOR page). Is there any way to create more than 10 letters for each recommender?

2) What are these evaluation things and are they necessary? How much can they help/is it something worth asking your recommenders to do as well? Same problem as #1 also applies to these as the maximum from the drop-down menu is 10 evaluations per evaluator.

Answers to both issues would be greatly appreciated.

1) Dude. Pick 2 maybe 3 at the most schools that are realistic reaches and get targeted letters for them. 12 is way too many. There's a reason there is only 10 available letters for each recommender. You don't need targeted letters for safety schools, and you don't need targeted letters for extreme reaches. Be respectful of your recommenders time. Get 1 generic LOR from them that they could send to the rest of the schools.

2) New thing from LSAC for this cycle. It's something like 30 boxes where your evaluators can mark if they consider you in the Top X% in certain categories (intellect, social skills, etc, etc.). It's not necessary for this cycle, and in fact some schools aren't even accepting them, and only a handful are even "recommending" them. It's really not worth doing them at all, and if you do don't expect it to affect your application.

LOR aren't a super important pack of your application package. Your personal statement is going to be more important.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:22 am

Wow, someone wrote you 12 LOR's?

emoney8907

Postby emoney8907 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:44 am

LSpleaseee wrote:Wow, someone wrote you 12 LOR's?

Well it's just pretty much 1 LOR but just changed the name of the school for each of the 12, so it was pretty much as if they had written 1 LOR. but i guess if there is no way around this, I'll just group a few together and tell them to make it generic and not targeted toward a specific school. would this be the best way to go about this?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:42 pm

Ah I see...yeah that seems like the best way to go about it. You don't need targeted LOR's for your ultra-safety schools so just group those.

Or maybe you can make another recommender (who is really the same recommender) and put some letters under that name?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”