Freaking out about LORs!!! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nolegirl22

New

Freaking out about LORs!!!

Post by nolegirl22 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:48 pm

So I can get 2-3 LORs, but my sources might not be good ones. I have never really gotten close to any of my professors. I know that some of them know who I am, but I've never had a relationship with them. On the other hand, I have a lot of work experience and a couple of bosses who would be able to write great LORs for me.

Would not having an academic LOR be bad? Should I just ask a professor who kind of knows me, just to have an academic one..?

JJDancer

Gold

Re: Freaking out about LORs!!!

Post by JJDancer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:56 pm

All schools reaaallly stress that at least one (usually 2) should be from profs/TAs/people who knew you academically.
If you've been out of UG for 3+ years then have a boss write your 2nd lor but one SHOULD be from UG.
If you're in the same city as your UG then visit one prof from a class you liked/excelled in and show them your old work if you have it (papers etc), take your resume/transcript, have a convo with them about your goals etc and have them write you an lor about what they think your academic capabilities are.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:20 pm

Yeah.. I'd second that at least 1 should be from a prof. If you've been out of school for less than 3 years, 2 would be better. I think some schools (Cornell??) require 2 academic LORs as well...

2ofspades

Bronze

Post by 2ofspades » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:27 pm

+1 to what the others said, but keep in mind that LORs are less important than your numbers, your statements, and your work experience. Ask your profs if they would feel comfortable writing one, and if they say yes, I'm sure they'll say nice things about you in their letters. The LORs won't be exceptional and give you a boost - but I also don't think they will really put you at any disadvantage. I don't think you need to freak out.

FWIW, I'm a few years out of school - I sent one from a prof and one from a former boss.

nolegirl22

New

Post by nolegirl22 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:57 pm

Thanks a lot! I didn't think they really do too much in the context of the whole application, but I also don't want to get them wrong. I can email a prof or two and see what they say.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”