Undergraduate "Honors programs" that important for LS?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ComatoseClown

Undergraduate "Honors programs" that important for LS?

Postby ComatoseClown » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:15 pm

My undergraduate institution, like many other schools, offers a campus-wide honors program. In this program students get to take courses with small class sizes and extra seminars, all with specific "Honors" faculty. To get into the program you have to apply, and apparently it's pretty selective.

My question: I know one's admission to law school is mainly evaluated based on GPA/LSAT. But are law schools additionally impressed by membership in Honors programs, or is this only something to pursued if one has extra time on their hands? I like the idea of small class sizes, but having to take many English and Science courses in the "Honors curriculum" may require a lot of effort (even if they are intellectually stimulating).

jayn3

Re: Undergraduate "Honors programs" that important for LS?

Postby jayn3 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:17 pm

it's a soft like any other (aka average as hell). the better instruction, though, is likely to make you enjoy UG more / do better / be better prepared for LS.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:45 pm

If you can take it without dropping your gpa then it's a soft factor.

If you take it and your gpa drops (even marginally) it's not worth it.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:47 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:If you can take it without dropping your gpa then it's a soft factor.

If you take it and your gpa drops (even marginally) it's not worth it.

This. It could be good to have small class sizes, to help with LORs, since you will have a chance to know your professor better and vice versa from small class size. But if it is going to hurt your GPA even a little, like the poster above stated, it's not worth it.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:49 pm

ComatoseClown wrote:My undergraduate institution, like many other schools, offers a campus-wide honors program. In this program students get to take courses with small class sizes and extra seminars, all with specific "Honors" faculty. To get into the program you have to apply, and apparently it's pretty selective.

My question: I know one's admission to law school is mainly evaluated based on GPA/LSAT. But are law schools additionally impressed by membership in Honors programs, or is this only something to pursued if one has extra time on their hands? I like the idea of small class sizes, but having to take many English and Science courses in the "Honors curriculum" may require a lot of effort (even if they are intellectually stimulating).

I would opt out if it requres a thesis. Use that time to study for the LSAT. Even a one point gain is worth more than that shit.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:52 pm

Veyron wrote:
ComatoseClown wrote:My undergraduate institution, like many other schools, offers a campus-wide honors program. In this program students get to take courses with small class sizes and extra seminars, all with specific "Honors" faculty. To get into the program you have to apply, and apparently it's pretty selective.

I would opt out if it requres a thesis. Use that time to study for the LSAT. Even a one point gain is worth more than that shit.

Unless you have an interest in legal academia, in which case a thesis is a good idea. Personally I'm enjoying the thesis experience. Also, I took the LSAT Sept. junior year and used part of the summer to prep so that I wouldn't have to decide between the LSAT & something else.

Rikkugrrl

Postby Rikkugrrl » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:53 pm

Short answer: Don't do it.

Long answer: Some of these programs are designed to force you to take at least one class in your weakest area. Unless you're just a well-rounded kid with no particular weaknesses, the answer should be nonononononNO. Play to your strengths, take the classes you're good at and only the bare minimum you need for graduation in your weak areas.

Your program sounds like mine and I regret it big time.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:00 pm

Yes, unless you want academia but if that was a realistic possibility for you, you wouldn't be asking this question because you would have a 4.0, a 180 on your LSAT and be so smart that your faculty advisors would offer to suck your dick in order for you to condecend to write a thesis that they could publish. Does this describe you?

All I can say is I didn't have the grades for the program at my well respected undergrad and was forced to pass. I had friends who worked their ass off for honors. I, instead, spent every waking hour studying for the LSAT instead I'm going to Penn on a SWeet scholarship while many of the kids who focused on their honors program didn't study enough for the LSAT and couldn't crack the T-14.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:09 pm

Veyron wrote:Yes, unless you want academia but if that was a realistic possibility for you, you wouldn't be asking this question because you would have a 4.0, a 180 on your LSAT and be so smart that your faculty advisors would offer to suck your dick in order for you to condecend to write a thesis that they could publish. Does this describe you?

All I can say is I didn't have the grades for the program at my well respected undergrad and was forced to pass. I had friends who worked their ass off for honors. I, instead, spent every waking hour studying for the LSAT instead I'm going to Penn on a SWeet scholarship while many of the kids who focused on their honors program didn't study enough for the LSAT and couldn't crack the T-14.

Same. Except my honors program is not well regarded at all :lol:. It's good though because I was more motivated and used that to do well.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:16 pm

Knockglock wrote:
Veyron wrote:Yes, unless you want academia but if that was a realistic possibility for you, you wouldn't be asking this question because you would have a 4.0, a 180 on your LSAT and be so smart that your faculty advisors would offer to suck your dick in order for you to condecend to write a thesis that they could publish. Does this describe you?

Same. Except my honors program is not well regarded at all :lol:. It's good though because I was more motivated and used that to do well.

Yah, nothing like the prospect of being hanged in the morning to focus the mind on the LSAT. Expecially since I was T-14 or go home from the begining.

Cardboardbox

Postby Cardboardbox » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:23 pm

maybe it depends on the person, but I was in the honors program at my UG for the entire 4 years and in all honesty, I found honors classes easier (aka helped boost my GPA) than non-honors classes. Small class sizes are a blessing especially when the alternative is taking the same class in a 300+ person lecture hall.

knola002

Postby knola002 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:37 pm

I loved my honors experience. However I would say that its value derived mainly from the fact that it surrounded me with intelligent students, which pushed me to do better. The fact that I listed "honors" on my apps had less to do with getting into LS than the GPA I got because I was mortified of doing worse than other honors students. Of course, some people do not need to play off their own insecurities to get good grades.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:41 pm

Cardboardbox wrote:maybe it depends on the person, but I was in the honors program at my UG for the entire 4 years and in all honesty, I found honors classes easier (aka helped boost my GPA) than non-honors classes. Small class sizes are a blessing especially when the alternative is taking the same class in a 300+ person lecture hall.

This is SO credited.

Pretty sure my GPA in only honors classes is over a 4.0 - small classes and interesting subject matter ftw.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:59 pm

eskimo wrote:
Cardboardbox wrote:maybe it depends on the person, but I was in the honors program at my UG for the entire 4 years and in all honesty, I found honors classes easier (aka helped boost my GPA) than non-honors classes. Small class sizes are a blessing especially when the alternative is taking the same class in a 300+ person lecture hall.

This is SO credited.

Pretty sure my GPA in only honors classes is over a 4.0 - small classes and interesting subject matter ftw.

My honors classes are way harder... I'm an english major and the honors classes have 10x more work than regular classes. I just got the 2 syllabi for my seminars this upcoming semester, and its just insane the amount of work, reading, and papers for an UG class (surely nothing compared to LS, but come on!)

Anyways, the benefit as I see it is the great LORs I've gained from the personal relationships I have been able to establish with my (more elite?) professors. Also, I've enjoyed working on my thesis. Law school surely won't care much, but hey, it looks alright on a resume!

7ED

Postby 7ED » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:10 am

I loved doing an honors degree. Biggest advantage I think is getting to know the professors and having awesome recommendations lined up.

That said, an honors degree I think really does help with personal development just because of the smaller class sizes and seminars. You actually *participate* in ur education.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:17 am

7ED wrote:I loved doing an honors degree. Biggest advantage I think is getting to know the professors and having awesome recommendations lined up.

That said, an honors degree I think really does help with personal development just because of the smaller class sizes and seminars. You actually *participate* in ur education.

I think most people would trade a boost in gpa compared to a better recommendation.

But if you can maintain GPA then it's certainly a soft factor that can do nothing but help you.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:19 am

7ED wrote:I loved doing an honors degree. Biggest advantage I think is getting to know the professors and having awesome recommendations lined up.

I guess it depends on what sort of school you attend. In my UG I got intimate experince with prestigious and well known professors without going for an honors diploma. Hence, an honors diploma would not have done anything to enhanse my LOR's, if this isn't the case, I don't know what to tell you. I still think 1 pt of LSAT > any soft.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”