Parents flipping out

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
piccolittle

Parents flipping out

Postby piccolittle » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:03 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys. Sorry about the rant; had just finished getting yelled at again about finding my purpose. Smile and nod it is, then. :)
Last edited by piccolittle on Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Knock

Re: Parents flipping out

Postby Knock » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:05 pm

piccolittle wrote:Is anybody going through parental guilt freak out about a sense of responsibility and destiny in the world, etc etc etc? In other words, are your parents insisting your PS has to be about changing the world, and better yet, pressuring you to commit to a morally righteous career path before even beginning law school? I'm as socially conscious as the next person, but I've learned from TLS that your PS shouldn't be "why I want to go to law school and save all the orphans"... my parents, unfortunately, have not.

How do you handle it when your parents start telling you to write things like "I have been excessively privileged in my life, and I don't know what I want to do. I only know I want to make a difference?"

I'd tell my parents that i'm 20+ years old and fully capable of running my own life? If you're applying to law school, you should be able to handle your parents and be your own person by now. Unless your parents are paying, they really have nothing to stand on, and even if they are paying they should let you be your own person. And if they aren't, you got to be an adult and write your own PS. What are they going to do, keep you from submitting your apps unless you write the PS they want?
Last edited by Knock on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:06 pm

piccolittle wrote:Is anybody going through parental guilt freak out about a sense of responsibility and destiny in the world, etc etc etc? In other words, are your parents insisting your PS has to be about changing the world, and better yet, pressuring you to commit to a morally righteous career path before even beginning law school? I'm as socially conscious as the next person, but I've learned from TLS that your PS shouldn't be "why I want to go to law school and save all the orphans"... my parents, unfortunately, have not.

How do you handle it when your parents start telling you to write things like "I have been excessively privileged in my life, and I don't know what I want to do. I only know I want to make a difference?"

Cut the umbilical.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:09 pm

Nod and smile, then write what you want.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:10 pm

NayBoer wrote:Nod and smile, then write what you want.

+1

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:11 pm

My parents didn't even read my PS. Why would they? (And my step-dad IS a lawyer.) Cut the umbilical and tell them their advice in this matter isn't helpful.

MTal

Postby MTal » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:12 pm

Your PS should follow the format of "the Aristocrats"...something like this version here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw10xa_xtNg

Edit: Then at the end write..."and THAT is why I want to go to law school".

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:19 pm

Just let one of your parents write your PS for you. It will save you some time and effort and stop all the arguments.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:27 pm

Move out. Or more reasonably, stop telling them details they can get overly involved in and look polite whenever they give you advice and then do your own thing.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:30 pm

Just tell them straight up "schools dont want to hear that shit". Tell them that there are probably tens of thousands of law applicants around the country that write about this stuff and that the last thing you want to do is follow their lead.

Good luck!

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:33 pm

Edit: I'm currently living at home, so it's hard to avoid them.

How old are you?

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:38 pm

Write two of them; one meeting your parents' expectations and one that you'll actually send to schools.

Then, accidentally apply with the wrong one. If you get in, your parents were right and you should never move out. If you don't get in, your parents ruined you life and you should never move out.

Win-win, either way.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:43 pm

say you never want to talk to them again, run out, come back in 1 week, and your mother will cook your favorite meal= :lol:

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:52 pm

My parents don't even know what a PS is.

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:06 pm

my parents said "how was the LSAT" and "Congrats on getting into law school." That was the first and last I heard about it until a month before law school.

Legomyeggos

Postby Legomyeggos » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:08 pm

Last edited by Legomyeggos on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:13 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
NayBoer wrote:Nod and smile, then write what you want.

+1

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:29 pm

I don't think my parents even know I'm in college...

OneSixtySix

Postby OneSixtySix » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:33 pm

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:37 pm

piccolittle wrote:Thanks for the advice, guys. Sorry about the rant; had just finished getting yelled at again about finding my purpose. Smile and nod it is, then. :)

Why do people delete their original posts? I swear this has to be the dumbest thing I see people do on this forum.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:42 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
piccolittle wrote:Thanks for the advice, guys. Sorry about the rant; had just finished getting yelled at again about finding my purpose. Smile and nod it is, then. :)

Why do people delete their original posts? I swear this has to be the dumbest thing I see people do on this forum.

maybe they think deleting the op will magically delete all the times it's quoted

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:19 pm

jayn3 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

maybe they think deleting the op will magically delete all the times it's quoted

Or maybe I wanted to indicate that I got all the advice I needed, but if people really want to scroll down and read the quoted text they are welcome to.

kazu

Postby kazu » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:25 pm

Wow those are some serious helicopter parents :shock:

I second all of the advice above, good luck dealing with them.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:26 pm

piccolittle wrote:
jayn3 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Or maybe I wanted to indicate that I got all the advice I needed, but if people really want to scroll down and read the quoted text they are welcome to.

Don't do it. It pisses people off and makes some think you're a troll. If you need to add something else, just add a new post or add the edit onto the bottom of your original.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:39 pm

ResolutePear wrote:

Doesn't want his daddy to read what he wrote about him

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”