T14 vs. Full Ride

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which is the better choice?

7-14 at sticker
45%
15-20 with $$
25%
20-40 full ride
30%

Total votes: 84

2ofspades

Re: T14 vs. Full Ride

Postby 2ofspades » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:45 pm

stargazin wrote:
In the end, the thing about the legal profession is they are really prestige/ranking oriented, and use it as a proxy for intelligence and so it makes this question not nearly so clear cut, and in the end it is just a personal choice.

While everyone who goes to a top school is obviously very intelligent, I think people who go to lower ranked schools can still prove themselves. Yes, the ranking of the school is very important (especially when trying to get into biglaw), but that's not to say there's NO CHANCE to prove oneself if one didn't go to a top school. So I think it is very much a personal choice based on one's circumstances. In this economy, I think not having debt is a huge thing. Huge.

blowhard wrote:
stargazin wrote:
But if you are shooting for BigLaw/Big money they only hire out of top schools

Not necessarily. My sister's BIL graduated from Fordham U and works in NY for a big law firm.

That is the exception and only from the top of the class. They are still hired at graduation though, not after they've proven themselves. No way to predict that you'll be top 5% either.

+1 to this, Fordham's the exception.

Here's the thing - before I applied I looked up the OCI schedules of NY firms where I knew I'd be interested in working, and they all interviewed at T14 and Fordham. Period. Now I know a lot of lawyers who went to lower-ranked schools and who are sharp as a knife, but the point is that if they were going to their lower-ranked schools now, they wouldn't have the opportunity to put themselves in front of biglaw employers to apply for a job. There really isn't any denying that major employers around the country head to the T12 or T14 each year to hire new associates and that attending a top school is the best way to maximize your employment prospects at those companies. Moreover, attending a top school maximizes your ability to get selective jobs at smaller firms, in businesses, and in the public sector - as the best jobs in those categories are competitive as well.

The reason why it is important for this to get across on the forum is that many applicants forgo a top school each year in order to take a partial scholarship at a lower-ranked school. In some cases, having less debt is necessary - but for most students, a top school offers not only the best employment prospects but also the best programs for managing debt.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:50 pm

FWIW, I hear that things become much clearer when you actually have those offers (and scholarships) in hand. Apply to a broad range of schools (including peer schools for scholarship negotiation) and see what comes back. The relevant information has already been (mostly) presented in this thread; the rest of the decision is very personal.

OG Loc

Postby OG Loc » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:58 pm

legalease9 wrote:In terms of pros and cons...

T14 Pros: National Reach, better salary out the door due to big law possiblilities, less stress (because better employment prospects even with a poor class rank) And LRAP/IBR to save you if your job prospects are shit (which at a T14 they probably won't be).

T14 Cons: Soul crushing debt... Obligation to go into Big Law to pay off said debt (although do remember IBR).

T20-40 Pros: Really low debt, Really good prospects in the school's region (especially in regards to political/public interest work). Less stress over debt. No obligation to go to Big Law b/c of debt. I admit that I really don't like debt!

T20-40 Cons: No national reach (better like practicing where the school is located), more stress (because you could graduate w/o any job prospects if you don't make top of your class. Low big law chance means low chance of model and bottle life style.

I kind of think the T15-T20 is kind of splitting the baby a bit and is the worst of the three options (unless you really like said school). Either take the full ride or go to the highest ranked school you have been accepted to (assuming its T14).

I agree with this. There aren't a whole lot of legal jobs that would allow you to comfortably pay back $125k but not 200k, LRAP considerations notwithstanding.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:06 pm

beachbum wrote:FWIW, I hear that things become much clearer when you actually have those offers (and scholarships) in hand. Apply to a broad range of schools (including peer schools for scholarship negotiation) and see what comes back. The relevant information has already been (mostly) presented in this thread; the rest of the decision is very personal.

True, and I will definitely be applying broad to consider all my options. I've always wondered when people talk about scholarship levering though- how do you go about doing that politely and not sounding like a douche? "So, uh, school X is offering me $... whatdyagot?"

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:09 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
beachbum wrote:FWIW, I hear that things become much clearer when you actually have those offers (and scholarships) in hand. Apply to a broad range of schools (including peer schools for scholarship negotiation) and see what comes back. The relevant information has already been (mostly) presented in this thread; the rest of the decision is very personal.

True, and I will definitely be applying broad to consider all my options. I've always wondered when people talk about scholarship levering though- how do you go about doing that politely and not sounding like a douche? "So, uh, school X is offering me $... whatdyagot?"

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:09 pm

Ildeuce wrote:

You send an e-mail that says, I really want to go to your school, I feel it's the best fit, but School X is offering me $X scholarship and financial constraints will prohibit me from attending your school unless you can somehow improve your offer.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:27 pm

beachbum wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

/mindblown

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”