Low Standarized Test Add: Sufficient low GPA/SAT/LSAT ratio?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Horchata

Low Standarized Test Add: Sufficient low GPA/SAT/LSAT ratio?

Postby Horchata » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:21 am

Hi all,

I am considering writing a Low Standardized Testing Addendum. What would you think is an acceptable LSAT/SAT/GPA ratio to argue this point to an AdCom?

In my situation, I scored a 1040/1600 and scored a 160 (81st percentile) on the LSAT. The wrench in the equation is that I have a 3.7 GPA (straight A's last 2 years). It would seem that my SAT score didn't predict my university achievement...I think...I really have no idea where my SAT stands or what it means. Anyone have any thoughts?

Btw, does anyone know what percentile a 1040 would be? I think it is average or so.

flyingpanda

Re: Low Standarized Test Add: Sufficient low GPA/SAT/LSAT ratio?

Postby flyingpanda » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:38 am

Horchata wrote:Hi all,

I am considering writing a Low Standardized Testing Addendum. What would you think is an acceptable LSAT/SAT/GPA ratio to argue this point to an AdCom?

In my situation, I scored a 1040/1600 and scored a 160 (81st percentile) on the LSAT. The wrench in the equation is that I have a 3.7 GPA (straight A's last 2 years). It would seem that my SAT score didn't predict my university achievement...I think...I really have no idea where my SAT stands or what it means. Anyone have any thoughts?

Btw, does anyone know what percentile a 1040 would be? I think it is average or so.

I wouldn't do this if I were you. Even if an adcomm were to believe this, it wouldn't help your admissions chances. Also, 160 isn't exactly bottom of the barrel.

Eithre retake, or roll with what you have. Addendums like this don't really help.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:03 am

flyingpanda wrote:

I wouldn't do this if I were you. Even if an adcomm were to believe this, it wouldn't help your admissions chances. Also, 160 isn't exactly bottom of the barrel.

Eithre retake, or roll with what you have. Addendums like this don't really help.

+1
1040 is probably mid 60th percentile. Your LSAT is 80th percentile while your GPA is probably 80-90th percentile, in close enough line with your LSAT

Horchata

Postby Horchata » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:53 am

Ok, cool, thanks for the replies.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:18 pm

No idea, however: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAT#Raw_sc ... ercentiles

Your SAT score is in the 5X percentile. If you wanted to know.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:23 pm

Just retake.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:02 pm

rad law wrote:Just retake.

This. Law schools don't care if you're a horrible standardized test taker.

captainculpepper

Postby captainculpepper » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:44 pm

Boalt is the only school I know that would even vaguely care about your SATs and standardize testing record.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:47 pm

How seriously did you prepare to achieve that 160? What was your first diagnostic?

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:13 pm

The wrench in the equation is that you have a 160 LSAT.. these type of addenda are silly on their face if you think about it. Even tier 4 law schools have 75th gpa ranges around 3.6-3.7 that should automatically tell you that this whole low standardized test thing isnt a valid excuse. Are they supposed to turn down a 3.7/160 candidate who scored a 1400 on the sat for a 3.7/160 candidate who scored a 1050 on the sat??

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:34 pm

Unless you majored in engineering or something known to be hard, I would say your GPA has absolutely no prediction on your LSAT score. Same with SAT score having anything to do with GPA.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:46 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Unless you majored in engineering or something known to be hard, I would say your GPA has absolutely no prediction on your LSAT score. Same with SAT score having anything to do with GPA.

The LSAT does correlate decently with law school grades.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:51 pm

bk1 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Unless you majored in engineering or something known to be hard, I would say your GPA has absolutely no prediction on your LSAT score. Same with SAT score having anything to do with GPA.

Aye. Although they don't with UGPA.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:52 pm

bk1 wrote:

I never said it didn't. I was talking about UGPA relating to LSAT score.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:55 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:I never said it didn't. I was talking about UGPA relating to LSAT score.

My mistake, I felt you implied it didn't because your comment seemed tangential.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”