Chances after academic dismissal

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
whymeohgodno

Re: Chances after academic dismissal

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:15 am

Texas2010 wrote:I failed out. Throughout my life I was always awful at taking tests, I could walk in knowing everything, bomb the exam, and as soon as I walked out Id remember everything. I was diagnosed with ADD shortly after graduating high school and when i started treating it my grades immediately improved, especially my test grades. I had been so successful in school for so long ( I worked full time and went to night school so undergrad took me 7 years) that I decided to stop taking the medication for my last undergrad year to see how I could do, I hoped that I had either learned some better techniques or otherwise improved my test taking and perhaps I could kick my ADD (yes i realize how stupid that sounds now) I had already been accepted to law school. My grades dropped but I graduated. I realized that since I had already been accepted to law school, my motivation that last semester had plummeted yet I still graduated, so I believed if I tried harder my grades would improve even though they were already adequate. This encouraged me to begin law school without my medicine. I figured if I struggled the first couple of weeks Id just start taking it again.

The real problem was that in law school its all about the one exam at the end of the year. During the year, I read 7 hours each day and I was always prepared in class when called upon. Many students couldnt hack it and were told to leave class, some were given absences, some even had their grade docked on the spot for not being able to discuss the day's cases knowledgeably. But I was always on point, I was called on often and I was never corrected or told I was wrong, I fully understood all of the concepts. Then exams came the first semester, I ended up with mostly C's but I wasnt in any academic trouble. Unfortunately, since I made it through that semester I believed I could make it through the second semester, and we all know "it gets easier after the first year" (i wouldnt know). That second smester I made an F and dropped below a 2.0. I would need a 2.3 the next semester to bring my GPA back to a 2.0, a 2.3 isnt even a C+, and I knew that with my medicine it would be simple. But they didnt believe me and I got the boot.

The point is that, getting kicked out of law school doesnt mean you cant do it, and it doesnt mean you should do something else for a while to see if you really want to go back. You were there for a year, you know better now than you ever will whether or not you want to go back. I get so irritated when people ask me "well are you sure this is what you want to do?" Applying to law school is a huge deal, you know you want to go to law school then, and you definitely know after one month, let alone a full year. If you failed out and are wondering how to get back in, you want to get back in, period. So go find one of your professors who will lobby for you and say that they believe you have what it takes, any professor who will say you were attentive in class and grasped the material. If you cant do that gather as many letters of recommendation that you can, which you need to do either way (go for quality AND quantity) and write an addendum to your original personal statement. The Assistant Dean at my school told me not to bother getting some job in the legal field, she said "sometimes" she recommends some graduate work (but of course most grad schools want at least a 3.0 in undergrad and all other graduate work which, obviously is probably not going to work out). The faculty member I was directed to told me that my 3.2 and 158 show I am capable, theres no point in taking the LSAT again or taking more classes to raise my grades. she told me to just get a stable job (full or part-time) and start reading to keep up the habits needed for law school. She said in my new application mention the books I've been reading and how I've been keeping up with current events. It seems simple, maybe even silly but it shows you have been focused on getting back in and have been preparing as best you can. This is just what the lady I spoke to told me, Id love for others to share what they were told, it all helps.

It sucks for us because, regardless of circumstance, we "failed out of law school" so we cant avoid that negative connotation. Joe Biden was nearly last in his law school class, and he failed a class for plagiarism, yet he's the Vice President. Resolve to get back in, swallow your pride and start writing your addendum now so you can edit, edit, and edit it to make it as short as possible while maintaining its impact. It sucks, but if you dont do everything you can to get back in, your going to wonder about and regret it for the rest of your life.

That's about the most retarded excuse I've ever heard for dropping out of law school.

gurlgamer05

Postby gurlgamer05 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:34 pm

I failed out of law school in 2010. Since then, I have been employed in the legal field. I am planning retaking the LSAT, my score the first time around was a 141. I know why it was horrible and was very grateful any school accepted me at all. I plan to prepare like crazy and reapply soon. Like one of the previous posters, I was and still am horrible at taking tests. Also, the law school I attended has a very high attrition rate. However, I believe I can successfully finish law school if given the chance, esp since I only missed being able to continue by .08 points :)

helix23

Postby helix23 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:29 am

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:06 am

This reminds me. Someone I know has her hopes up on getting into Harvard, or maybe NYU or Berkeley, but didn't do so well on the LSAT, and asked me for study advice. Her first score was a 135. How do I break it to her that those schools she really wants just aren't going to happen?

As an aside, to the person who claims exam trouble - how do you plan on coping with the many times you will be in an exam-like atmosphere as an attorney? (e.g. going to court?)
Also, if getting straight Cs wasn't a clear indication you weren't doing well, I'm not surprised you ran into trouble. I also fully understand the school for not believing that's the answer. Besides, being able to answer a question in class is not the same as being able to spot an issue in an exam.

gurlgamer05

Postby gurlgamer05 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:34 am

Dingbat. I'm not really sure about the courtroom question seeing as I've never been in one. What I do know is this, first my school graded to a strict C curve. Secondly, there was no indication I wasn't doing well. Like I said my school required a 2.0 GPA to continue, I wasn't too far off the mark. I think if I had figured out how to properly prepare for and take a law school exam sooner I would be a practicing attorney right now :)

erin.lain

Postby erin.lain » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:13 pm

I am interviewing Black and Latino students who were academically dismissed from law school to see how the law school environment affected their academic performance. These interviews are a part of a dissertation study I am conducting. If you fit the criteria and are interested in helping, please email me at erin.lain@drake.edu.
For more details about my study please visit: http://erinlain.wix.com/lawschoolenvironment

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”