Junior Year Strategy

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
buckythebadger

Junior Year Strategy

Postby buckythebadger » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:55 pm

First off, good luck to all the applicants applying this cycle. I am a junior this year and have started to get things ready for next fall. I currently have a 3.5 ugpa and can hopefully boost that up to about a 3.65 by application season next year. Coming into UG, I had about 12 AP credits. So I was thinking about my spring 2011 schedule. I have about 4 extra classes that I need to take to satisfy the minimum credit amount for graduation. I do not need these classes for any of my majors and can basically pick whatever. So I was thinking about taking an extremely easy work load spring semester. Say 3 of the easiest classes I can find(in reasonable limits, I do not plan on taking any bs theatre classes), along with 2 classes I need for my majors. This would make an extremely easy semester to boost my GPA and also give me some spare time for LSAT prep. My question is, would law schools see right through this strategy and frown apon it? Or are most law schools as I assume, prestigue whores and just care about boosting their numbers for rankings? Any opinions would be appreciated :)

gdane

Re: Junior Year Strategy

Postby gdane » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:57 pm

The consensus is that law schools care about your GPA and not your major/difficulty of courses. They could care less what your major was. You could have a 4.0 in Basket Weaving and they wouldnt care simply because its a 4.0. So, take as many easy classes as you want.

Good luck!

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:16 pm

gdane5 wrote:The consensus is that law schools care about your GPA and not your major/difficulty of courses. They could care less what your major was. You could have a 4.0 in Basket Weaving and they wouldnt care simply because its a 4.0. So, take as many easy classes as you want.

Good luck!

What if I took 5 lvl 1xx courses first semester of my senior year since I already have all my prerequisites done for my major/general curriculum?

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:20 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
gdane5 wrote:The consensus is that law schools care about your GPA and not your major/difficulty of courses. They could care less what your major was. You could have a 4.0 in Basket Weaving and they wouldnt care simply because its a 4.0. So, take as many easy classes as you want.

Good luck!

What if I took 5 lvl 1xx courses first semester of my senior year since I already have all my prerequisites done for my major/general curriculum?

Why would that matter? You still took care of the upper level classes. All that matters is that you graduate with as high a GPA as possible. If you graduated then you satisfied the requirements necessary. Doesnt matter in what order you completed them, as long as you complete them.

Good luck!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”