Do Law Schools Ask for High School Stuff?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
whymeohgodno

Do Law Schools Ask for High School Stuff?

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:47 pm

Like if you were ever suspended or given detention etc...?

Sentry

Re: Do Law Schools Ask for High School Stuff?

Postby Sentry » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:02 pm

I don't know. I disclosed the time I had to stay in for recess in 1st grade just to be safe though.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:03 pm

Sentry wrote:I don't know. I disclosed the time I had to stay in for recess in 1st grade just to be safe though.

:lol:

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:07 pm

Sentry wrote:I don't know. I disclosed the time I had to stay in for recess in 1st grade just to be safe though.

Does that mean I have to disclose that time I kicked a boy in the balls for putting ice down my back at someone's 5th birthday party?

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:08 pm

acrossthelake wrote:

Does that mean I have to disclose that time I kicked a boy in the balls for putting ice down my back at someone's 5th birthday party?

:shock:. I don't know if we can be in the same study group in law school anymore.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:10 pm

No but really?

I once got detention for 40 days consecutively, so I would rather not disclose this if I have to.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:10 pm

Knockglock wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:

:shock:. I don't know if we can be in the same study group in law school anymore.

I was 5. My male cousins and I used to wrestle at that age and it was my go-to strategy when they got me pinned. I didn't know what I was doing! I didn't understand why it was yet that afterward they would writhe on the ground in pain, crying for their mommies...
Last edited by acrossthelake on Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:11 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:

No but really?

I once got detention for 40 days consecutively, so I would rather not disclose this if I have to.

40 detentions? Well, it will definitely be an issue for the character & fitness portion of the Bar. I think their limit is 25.

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:50 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:

No but really?

No, high school doesn't matter. At all. Unless you murdered your prom date or something.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:52 pm

Helicio wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

No but really?

No, high school doesn't matter. At all. Unless you murdered your prom date or something.

What if they couldn't prove it? I was never even arrested.

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:00 pm

Hannibal wrote:
Helicio wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

No but really?

What if they couldn't prove it? I was never even arrested.

Don't know how to reply to this. So I will say this:

BOOM.

mountaintime

Postby mountaintime » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:26 pm

It varies by school; read your applications carefully. One of the schools I applied to last cycle asked about suspensions and discipline from ANY school. The other schools I applied to asked only about discipline at the college level.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:43 am

mountaintime wrote:It varies by school; read your applications carefully. One of the schools I applied to last cycle asked about suspensions and discipline from ANY school. The other schools I applied to asked only about discipline at the college level.

Any school? :( I can't imagine that 40 detentions would look good...

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:46 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
mountaintime wrote:It varies by school; read your applications carefully. One of the schools I applied to last cycle asked about suspensions and discipline from ANY school. The other schools I applied to asked only about discipline at the college level.

Any school? :( I can't imagine that 40 detentions would look good...

Well, what are you going to do? I doubt they'll focus on it at all, especially if your college record is clean. Or you were getting detentions for like stabbing people with exacto knives in tech ed class.

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:29 am

Most every app I saw (and I applied to a lot of schools) asked for lifetime record of criminal offenses, but only collegiate record of academic and disciplinary offences. So if the cops were involved, disclose. If they were not, no reason to disclose high school stuff (UNLESS the particular app demands it).

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:08 am

you must have been one bad-ass mofo

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”