Northwestern Interviews 2010

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
glacierfrost

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby glacierfrost » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:49 pm

Regarding the phone interview, I was offered the option of a Skype interview, but probably because I was overseas. I requested an in person interview however because of the tenuous Internet connection I had here and they seemed to be receptive to that.

To me it seemed like they offered the Skype interview because maybe there weren't too many available interviewers in my area. I hope this doesn't mean my interviewer was too busy and will show up cranky to the interview. It's at Starbucks.

Miranda 18

Postby Miranda 18 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:34 am

Have my interview later this morning.....with a lawyer who works in a very large firm in my city. Anything tricky or interesting come up I will be sure to let you all know!

CSCS Trainer

Postby CSCS Trainer » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:43 am

I have an on-campus interview scheduled for November 29th. I also enjoy the interview process - I've had a lot of them for different job positions over the years. Those of you who have interviewed already and have work experience, did most of the questions focus on your resume?

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:45 am

CSCS Trainer wrote:I have an on-campus interview scheduled for November 29th. I also enjoy the interview process - I've had a lot of them for different job positions over the years. Those of you who have interviewed already and have work experience, did most of the questions focus on your resume?

Yes, the only non-resume questions I got were why law school, why now, and why NU.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:50 am

hipstermafia wrote:
CSCS Trainer wrote:I have an on-campus interview scheduled for November 29th. I also enjoy the interview process - I've had a lot of them for different job positions over the years. Those of you who have interviewed already and have work experience, did most of the questions focus on your resume?

Yes, the only non-resume questions I got were why law school, why now, and why NU.

My why NU question quickly turned into telling me why I should choose NU, pretty cool. I am not even sure I answered the question.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:59 am

r6_philly wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:

My why NU question quickly turned into telling me why I should choose NU, pretty cool. I am not even sure I answered the question.

That happened to me last year. His answer "I was in a study group with someone who may someday be a supreme court judge." A good answer I thought.

CSCS Trainer

Postby CSCS Trainer » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:52 pm

hipstermafia wrote:

Great, thanks! I have 12 years middle & upper management experience with a couple different national companies, so I'm planning to highlight those areas.

For those of you with on-campus interviews, were you given any information about your interviewer before hand? I am scheduled to interview with interviewer #2.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:59 pm

CSCS Trainer wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:

Great, thanks! I have 12 years middle & upper management experience with a couple different national companies, so I'm planning to highlight those areas.

For those of you with on-campus interviews, were you given any information about your interviewer before hand? I am scheduled to interview with interviewer #2.

I just had my interview on campus today, and was only given similar information (may have been interviewer #2). In my case that was law admissions counselor who looked much younger than she must have been.

All in all not bad- I was asked why my undergrad (which was my undergrad). I probably answered most things more honestly than I should of, but I got a very positive feeling from her at the end, so that can't be terrible. Who knows- worst case I blew my shot at one school I wasn't that likely to get into anyway.

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:50 pm

I honestly had no questions which were super specific to my resume, and I have a lot of work experience. Everything was really general. I had to offer the information without being solicited. Mine was also on-campus.

RTFM

Postby RTFM » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:21 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:I honestly had no questions which were super specific to my resume, and I have a lot of work experience. Everything was really general. I had to offer the information without being solicited. Mine was also on-campus.

I had this same experience about 2 weeks ago. All of the questions were pretty broad, so I gave broad answers expecting follow up questions and... nothing. My interviewer also asked mostly about undergraduate extracurriculars, which I was not expecting at all because, hey, its Northwestern.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:32 pm

DearCan wrote:

I honestly had no questions which were super specific to my resume, and I have a lot of work experience. Everything was really general. I had to offer the information without being solicited. Mine was also on-campus.

Luck of the draw, I guess :oops: My interviewer (off-campus) happened to have worked at two of the companies on my resume, so we had a lot to talk about 8)

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:46 pm

RTFM wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:I honestly had no questions which were super specific to my resume, and I have a lot of work experience. Everything was really general. I had to offer the information without being solicited. Mine was also on-campus.

I had this same experience about 2 weeks ago. All of the questions were pretty broad, so I gave broad answers expecting follow up questions and... nothing. My interviewer also asked mostly about undergraduate extracurriculars, which I was not expecting at all because, hey, its Northwestern.

What I found weird, is that the admissions officer came out and got my clipboard and disappeared for 5-7 minutes before calling me back for the interview. I figured she was reading my resume for specific questions, but no. The only really specific question I got was about an extracurricular activity I was involved in five years ago. Go figure.

prerna

Postby prerna » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:01 pm

have my interview tomorrow...flying to chicago at 540am :| can anyone give insight into the attire and formality of the on-campus interviews? alsoo, for those of you who flew is there an easy/cheap way to get from o'hare to NU?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:05 pm

prerna wrote:have my interview tomorrow...flying to chicago at 540am :| can anyone give insight into the attire and formality of the on-campus interviews? alsoo, for those of you who flew is there an easy/cheap way to get from o'hare to NU?

It was fairly formal. I would wear a suit and tie, but a tuxedo would be over the top. Personally I chose not to wear a dark suit and I didn't feel too out of place.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:10 pm

Bombed mine...I said like and um far too many times (and I NEVER say shit like that in real life)

The extracurricular question really threw me off---my school's idea of extracurriculars were pub crawls

Also, no follow up questions..."what are your strengths and weaknesses" type questions threw me for a loop, answered them vaguely but it was wierd as all my job interviews were for very specialized questions---had to use vague concepts like teamwork, synthesis, analysis

DearCan

Postby DearCan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:20 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:Bombed mine...I said like and um far too many times (and I NEVER say shit like that in real life)

The extracurricular question really threw me off---my school's idea of extracurriculars were pub crawls

Also, no follow up questions..."what are your strengths and weaknesses" type questions threw me for a loop, answered them vaguely but it was wierd as all my job interviews were for very specialized questions---had to use vague concepts like teamwork, synthesis, analysis

I always hate the strengths and weaknesses question. I was prepared for it, because I screwed that up in a past interview. I told her my weakness was being somewhat high-strung and a worry-wort. Honest answer, hopefully not going to affect me too negatively. Honestly, there's no good answer to this question.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:25 pm

DearCan wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote:Bombed mine...I said like and um far too many times (and I NEVER say shit like that in real life)

I always hate the strengths and weaknesses question. I was prepared for it, because I screwed that up in a past interview. I told her my weakness was being somewhat high-strung and a worry-wort. Honest answer, hopefully not going to affect me too negatively. Honestly, there's no good answer to this question.

I said my weakness was my ability to really deeply consider other people's opinions in groups instead of doing all the work myself (I do this thing where I get into a persona before an interview, and this time I decided I was the "self-starter keener")

I really don't have any problems IMO as it refers to law schools---I mean as general as the question was I should have probably responded "I fall in love with sluts" or "I smoke when I am drunk"

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:46 pm

I said my weakness was arrogance.

The real thing I screwed up was answering "what is a common misconception about you" with a negative, instead of "I'm a graduate student" or the like. :MAJOR FACEPALM: :oops:

In spite of this I think I did ok.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:04 pm

Ugh. My common misconception was drivel. I just wandered around, sweated, smiled, and then wandered around some more.

Am I supposed to be a mind reader?

vaperera

Postby vaperera » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:56 am

I emailed my interviewer on Sunday and still haven't heard from him...do you guys think I should email him again? Or should I call him instead or just wait a bit longer? Thanks!

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:06 am

Think its a good idea to send a thank you note, or is that over the top? I know its good business practice, but don't know if that applies to law school interviews.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:23 am

Arbiter213 wrote:Think its a good idea to send a thank you note, or is that over the top? I know its good business practice, but don't know if that applies to law school interviews.

at least a thank you email.

lynnford

Postby lynnford » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:45 pm

Hi! I just had my interview and wanted to post a few of the questions in case that would be helpful to someone trying to prepare!

He asked about 25 questions off a list that Northwestern gave him.

Why did you choose your undergrad school?
What would you change about your undergrad experience if you could?
How will you define success in your career?
How do you deal with conflict?
What is the biggest/most important document you have written?
Tell me about your most significant experience speaking in front of other people.
What would you do if you didn't get into any law schools?
If you were accepted to all of the schools how would you decide where to go?
What is the most difficult decision you have made?
What is the most significant project you have managed?
What was your favorite class? What was you most difficult class?
What do you do for fun?
What kinds of extracurricular activities were you involved in?

Then he gave me time to ask questions. He was very nice and not intimidating. Good luck to anyone who has an upcoming interview! :)

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:23 am

prerna wrote:have my interview tomorrow...flying to chicago at 540am :| can anyone give insight into the attire and formality of the on-campus interviews? alsoo, for those of you who flew is there an easy/cheap way to get from o'hare to NU?

Subway. Blue line goes straight from ORD to downtown.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:29 am

motiontodismiss wrote:

Subway. Blue line goes straight from ORD to downtown.

Yeah, take Blue Line and either get off at the Chicago stop and take the #66 bus east, or get off at the Jackson stop and transfer to the northbound Red Line (toward Howard) and get off at the Chicago stop.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”