Northwestern Interviews 2010

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
motiontodismiss

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:51 pm

mrmangs wrote:You should order coffee. When your interviewer comes, you should get up, and, in going in for the handshake, clumsily knock your scalding beverage all over, preferably on the interviewer. It's a good ice breaker.

And watch your interviewer write "Reject this bastard" on your evaluation. On their way to the ER.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:13 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:
DearCan wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote:Bombed mine...I said like and um far too many times (and I NEVER say shit like that in real life)

The extracurricular question really threw me off---my school's idea of extracurriculars were pub crawls

Also, no follow up questions..."what are your strengths and weaknesses" type questions threw me for a loop, answered them vaguely but it was wierd as all my job interviews were for very specialized questions---had to use vague concepts like teamwork, synthesis, analysis

I always hate the strengths and weaknesses question. I was prepared for it, because I screwed that up in a past interview. I told her my weakness was being somewhat high-strung and a worry-wort. Honest answer, hopefully not going to affect me too negatively. Honestly, there's no good answer to this question.

I said my weakness was my ability to really deeply consider other people's opinions in groups instead of doing all the work myself (I do this thing where I get into a persona before an interview, and this time I decided I was the "self-starter keener")

I really don't have any problems IMO as it refers to law schools---I mean as general as the question was I should have probably responded "I fall in love with sluts" or "I smoke when I am drunk"

LOLLLL

s254w

Postby s254w » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:39 pm

So my alum graduated in 1999! WHAT am I supposed to ask him? Help!

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:41 pm

s254w wrote:So my alum graduated in 1999! WHAT am I supposed to ask him? Help!

why is this an issue? ask them questions you have about northwestern.

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:44 pm

Ask him if he'll give you a job if you get into Northwestern.

shanshan333

Postby shanshan333 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:56 pm

I tried to email my interviewer, but their email address doesn't work and mailer demon sends me an email back. I guess the next thing I should do is call her?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:59 pm

shanshan333 wrote:I tried to email my interviewer, but their email address doesn't work and mailer demon sends me an email back. I guess the next thing I should do is call her?

Sounds like you knew the answer, just looking for moral support?

shanshan333

Postby shanshan333 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:04 pm

Haha. My morals can use all the support they can get. Uhhh, I dont know I've never heard of anyone calling an interviewer before so I'm just making sure this is acceptable. (be gentle)

s254w

Postby s254w » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:05 pm

hipstermafia wrote:

Because he was there so long ago. What could he possibly tell me about other than the general "what were your impressions/ experience".

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:07 pm

I think it's good to try e-mail before calling just in general, because you want to be as least intrusive as possible. That said, phone is fine (I mean, you are going to speaking with him/her face-to-face pretty soon), just be friendly and succinct. Lawyers get phone calls all the time, they know how to handle them. :wink:

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:09 pm

s254w wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:

Because he was there so long ago. What could he possibly tell me about other than the general "what were your impressions/ experience".

Well, you can ask him about the city and general environment, that probably hasn't changed much. But you're right that what law school was like for him is most likely going to be quite different from what it will be for you. So, ask about his career, how he got where he was, how NU helped him out getting where he is, etc. Ask him about career-oriented stuff, he'll be a valuable source of information.

shanshan333

Postby shanshan333 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:16 pm

Yeah, that's what I mean. The email really isn't working though so I think calling is my only outlet. I'm just a little apprehensive that she may be taken aback with the call and was probably expecting an email. Plus, like you said I don't want to be intrusive and calling her on her cell phone. What can you do?

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:23 pm

shanshan333 wrote:Yeah, that's what I mean. The email really isn't working though so I think calling is my only outlet. I'm just a little apprehensive that she may be taken aback with the call and was probably expecting an email. Plus, like you said I don't want to be intrusive and calling her on her cell phone. What can you do?

"Hi, my name is shanshan. You were assigned as my Northwestern law interviewer. I tried to email you at the address that was provided to me, but I received a message that this was an inactive account. What times are convenient for you to meet?"

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:23 pm

shanshan333 wrote:Yeah, that's what I mean. The email really isn't working though so I think calling is my only outlet. I'm just a little apprehensive that she may be taken aback with the call and was probably expecting an email. Plus, like you said I don't want to be intrusive and calling her on her cell phone. What can you do?

At worst, she won't know immediately who you are. So just be sure to explain in introducing yourself who you are and why you're calling. Something along the lines of "Hi, my name is ______, and I am applying to Northwestern Law. I was assigned to be interviewed by you, but the email address provided on NU's website doesn't seem to work, so I thought I'd give you a call to arrange a time/place to meet..."

Alternatively, if you know her name, you can look up where she works and email her through her firm email address. (Or maybe you've tried this already?)

I really think you are sweating this too much. Just be calm, clear, and confident, as you should be when you actually do the interview as well. :wink:

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:38 pm

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:16 pm

I got an auto-reply from my assigned interviewer's email address stating that he was out of the office, though without the date on which he'll return. Should I just wait to see if he replies? I sent him an email and received this reply on Friday.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:41 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:I got an auto-reply from my assigned interviewer's email address stating that he was out of the office, though without the date on which he'll return. Should I just wait to see if he replies? I sent him an email and received this reply on Friday.

Probably out of town for Thanksgiving. Follow-up next week with a call if you haven't heard by end of day Tuesday. His assistant will probably be able to let you know when he'll be back if he's not already at that point.

shanshan333

Postby shanshan333 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:45 pm

So to continue on my saga of not being able to commence communication with my interviewer... The latest update is that Northwester emailed me and gave me her updated email address, right before I was about to call later that day. So I emailed that address, I think on Thursday and still no response. I know it's only been a few days but I'm getting nervous that those few days will turn into a week/more since thanksgiving is coming up, etc. Boo, I don't even have too much full time work experience. I have most part time stuff like the most is 25 hours, which I think still qualifies as part time. I guess I would be considered full time this year, my senior year, since I do around 31 hours but I dont do a single job, I have two internships and one paying position. Anyway, I was skeptical about doing the interview in the first place because my work experience is nowhere near competitive with NU applicants... Now I can't track down my interviewer... A sign?!

wiseguy33

Postby wiseguy33 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:19 pm

shanshan333 wrote:So to continue on my saga of not being able to commence communication with my interviewer... The latest update is that Northwester emailed me and gave me her updated email address, right before I was about to call later that day. So I emailed that address, I think on Thursday and still no response. I know it's only been a few days but I'm getting nervous that those few days will turn into a week/more since thanksgiving is coming up, etc. Boo, I don't even have too much full time work experience. I have most part time stuff like the most is 25 hours, which I think still qualifies as part time. I guess I would be considered full time this year, my senior year, since I do around 31 hours but I dont do a single job, I have two internships and one paying position. Anyway, I was skeptical about doing the interview in the first place because my work experience is nowhere near competitive with NU applicants... Now I can't track down my interviewer... A sign?!

Exactly. Thursday -> Monday is nothing. My interviewer said NU emails them to notify that applicants will be contacting them, so chances are slim that all emails from both you and NU have gotten caught in your interviewer's spam folder. Most likely he's a busy guy/she's a busy gal your interview is the least of his/her priorities. NU also tells the interviewers that these are due by December, so your interviewer should understand the time pressure involved.

wiseguy33

Postby wiseguy33 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:25 pm

Also, had my interview today and thought I'd share some tips, since y'all had helpful info when I was in need. :)

Starbucks interview. I wore a shirt, slacks, no tie. Went early, and my interviewer was in the middle of an interview with a girl wearing a suit. Interviewer was dressed semi-casual. Recent alumn, whom I had googled before the interview to find strategic talking points.

I was asked questions about my resume. (Tell me about this scholarship/this program/this job, etc.) Standard Why Law/Why NU questions. None of those strength/weakness classic interview questions though. It really was more of a conversation, and the interviewer hyped up NU a lot. Good, low pressure experience.

s254w

Postby s254w » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:53 pm

Interviewed today. At his office, so it was pretty formal. He was very nice, but definitely felt more like an interview than a conversation. He had very specific questions about my background, and then the standard "What are you most proud of on your resume." "Three reasons why NU" "Three things you hope to take away from Law School."

At one point he asked me a very standard question but phrased it entirely differently (pm me for specifics). This threw me off a bit, but I was very honest about admitting that, and he elaborated what he was looking for.

All in all it was not hard, but at the same time wasn't as relaxed as some people have reported.

Oh and btw, my stomach growled during the interview. VERY audibly. Ah well.

Lou9

Postby Lou9 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:43 pm

lynnford wrote:Hi! I just had my interview and wanted to post a few of the questions in case that would be helpful to someone trying to prepare!

He asked about 25 questions off a list that Northwestern gave him.

Why did you choose your undergrad school?
What would you change about your undergrad experience if you could?
How will you define success in your career?
How do you deal with conflict?
What is the biggest/most important document you have written?
Tell me about your most significant experience speaking in front of other people.
What would you do if you didn't get into any law schools?
If you were accepted to all of the schools how would you decide where to go?
What is the most difficult decision you have made?
What is the most significant project you have managed?
What was your favorite class? What was you most difficult class?
What do you do for fun?
What kinds of extracurricular activities were you involved in?

Then he gave me time to ask questions. He was very nice and not intimidating. Good luck to anyone who has an upcoming interview! :)

I had my alumni interview yesterday and was asked zero of these questions. No strengths/weaknesses questions either. The interviewer pretty much just went over my resume and had questions about where I work now and why I don't want to do my current job for the rest of my life. He interrupted me after I had started answering nearly every question, so I kinda felt like I didn't get to explain fully or even completely answer questions. He was really happy to talk about the law school and I would say he spent just as much time talking as I did, perhaps even more. Overall, it went pretty well, just not what I was expecting.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:49 am

Anyone else interview with a partner of a law firm in their office? Talk about intimidation.

WhatSarahSaid

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:12 am

Had my on-campus interview a couple of days ago. My experience was the same as most other ones in this thread, except that my interview was weirdly short -- I got asked if I had any questions for the interviewer only fifteen minutes in. Maybe I answered questions too succinctly, /shrug

Questions included:

"How do you like your major?"
"What was your most important leadership experience?"
"What is your greatest contribution to your community?"
"Do you have any regrets from your undergraduate studies?"
"Why law school?"
"Why Northwestern?"
[as a follow-up to my answer to the above, which mentioned the higher median age and emphasis on WE]: "What can you contribute to the atmosphere here, despite the fact that you lack that work experience?"

Getting a chance to walk around the campus and law building was awesome. I was skeptical about having to schedule an interview at first, but I'm really sold on their methodology now. No WE makes me a longshot, but I'd love to go there.

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:29 pm

I have my off-campus interview today at the office of a partner in a very large firm. I'm a little nervous because I have zero interest in finance and transactions, his specialties; I'm interested in PI. How much should I worry about being able to shoot the shit with him? Should I just gather lots of NU questions to have answered?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”