Northwestern Interviews 2010

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FlamingCow
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby FlamingCow » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:54 am

I had my interview recently in DC. I was actually surprised with how well it went, and I usually expect interviews to go well. As much as I'd like to say it was all due to my mad interviewing skillz, it had more to do with the alum I met. She was great -- very friendly, genuinely interested in talking about my resume and interests, and at-ease. I was really skeptical about NU selling it as a "conversation" rather than a proper interview, but that's really how it felt.

I only got a couple stock questions, like what about NU appeals to me, and why I want to go to law school. Pretty standard stuff that I had prepared beforehand. We spent most of the time talking about my resume and how my interests have developed through college and since I've graduated. I had a boatload of questions prepared for her (which seemed to be something she was looking for), and she was very frank and informative in answering them -- things specifically about NU, law school in general, and job hunting.

Overall, we talked for close to an hour, and it was very laid back. My advice to anyone doing their interviews soon is to prepare a lot of questions ahead of time, and research the school. Chances are you'll get more stock interview questions than I did, so you don't want to be left bullshitting your way through. And even if you don't get asked tough questions, you'll have some good questions for your interviewer, which I think is very appealing to them.

User avatar
Remnantofisrael
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby Remnantofisrael » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:34 pm

I have my interview on Monday for ED. Fortunately I have family in northern chi-town so I'll just be staying in Rogers Park with them. However I have a short time between appointment and my flight out of midway. What is the best way to get from there to midway? Also, do the on-campus interviews tend to run long? If it's 45 minutes, that will give me 2 1/2 hours till my flight.

User avatar
mrmangs
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby mrmangs » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:46 pm

I had my interview a week or so ago. Did it with an alum. Was really low-key. He didn't even ask me anything about NU really (e.g., "Why NU?"). We mainly just spoke about the work he did and the sort of stuff I'd want to do with my degree. It was quite informative actually, not so much in terms of learning about NU (as he graduated in the 80s), but in terms of how the legal economy is doing and where the market is going.

I recommend doing interviews with an alum even if you are not super into the school. At the very least, you can establish a contact and network, as well as get valuable info re your future career to boot.

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby Lwoods » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:53 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:I have my interview on Monday for ED. Fortunately I have family in northern chi-town so I'll just be staying in Rogers Park with them. However I have a short time between appointment and my flight out of midway. What is the best way to get from there to midway? Also, do the on-campus interviews tend to run long? If it's 45 minutes, that will give me 2 1/2 hours till my flight.


HopStop says it will be a little less than an hour if you take the Red El to the Orange El to Midway. It's a pretty easy trip and should give you a decent time cushion, assuming it's a domestic flight.

FutureInLaw
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby FutureInLaw » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:16 pm

I'd like to know also...email thank you or note thank you?

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby Dany » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:27 pm

FutureInLaw wrote:I'd like to know also...email thank you or note thank you?

I had to email because I didn't have an address for my interviewer (and he didn't work at a firm or other place that I could look up an address.) If a handwritten note is an option, though, I would always choose that. It shows a lot more thoughtfulness, and this isn't a time-sensitive thank you (as in, you don't need it to get there immediately.) I emailed NU, but sent my Vandy interviewer a note.

User avatar
edgarfigaro
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby edgarfigaro » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:24 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:I have my interview on Monday for ED. Fortunately I have family in northern chi-town so I'll just be staying in Rogers Park with them. However I have a short time between appointment and my flight out of midway. What is the best way to get from there to midway? Also, do the on-campus interviews tend to run long? If it's 45 minutes, that will give me 2 1/2 hours till my flight.


the interview isn't that long...set list of questions. I made my flight at ohare with plenty of time to spare leaving campus 2 hours before my flight. If you can, take the tour...much better experience than the interview(wasn't impressed with the interview-seemed formuliac and perfunctory)

lyman03
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:21 am

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby lyman03 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:22 pm

I signed up for an off-campus NU interview a few weeks ago, emailed the interviewer the day I got her name and contact info, and asked her to let me know what dates and times were convenient for her. She emailed me back the next day, asking if I could do the following Friday at 11am. I emailed back immediately and told her that I was not available at that time due to a meeting at work (I work full-time), and giving her 5 additional dates I was available. She has not emailed me back since. This was about two weeks ago. Thoughts? Just email her again and give her some additional dates (the other ones have already passed)?

NonTradHealthLaw
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:36 pm

lyman03 wrote:I signed up for an off-campus NU interview a few weeks ago, emailed the interviewer the day I got her name and contact info, and asked her to let me know what dates and times were convenient for her. She emailed me back the next day, asking if I could do the following Friday at 11am. I emailed back immediately and told her that I was not available at that time due to a meeting at work (I work full-time), and giving her 5 additional dates I was available. She has not emailed me back since. This was about two weeks ago. Thoughts? Just email her again and give her some additional dates (the other ones have already passed)?


Play dumb. Blame spam filter. Say you're just checking in again with a few more dates, but remind her that you only have until 12/1 to conduct the interview. May be a good idea to bcc admissions if you're paranoid.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby Dany » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:53 pm

Don't "play dumb" or blame the spam filter... Just politely email her again saying you're checking in to see if there is a convenient time to meet before December 1. Also, I wouldn't bcc admissions. If something happens and the interview doesn't work out, you can just call the office to explain.

NonTradHealthLaw
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Eskimo and I disagree on decorum. My take is that your interviewer dropped the ball. You are giving her the opportunity to save face by taking the (non-existent) blame. "I have an aggressive spam filter to unsaved addresses" offends no one. Then give a couple available dates and there will likely be no awkwardness. Mine got rescheduled probably 5 times before we met due to lies and extenuating circumstances.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby Dany » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:38 pm

I have never, ever had a problem with a spam filter, especially not from someone I've already successfully received emails from. I think saying that comes off as patronizing, not as an "out" - he can be polite without lying. I also agree the interviewer dropped the ball, but emailing again and creating excuses for her will just come off poorly.

lyman03
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:21 am

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby lyman03 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:32 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm really glad I posted this, because I actually did not know the interview had to be completed by 12/1.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:39 pm

eskimo wrote:I have never, ever had a problem with a spam filter, especially not from someone I've already successfully received emails from. I think saying that comes off as patronizing, not as an "out" - he can be polite without lying. I also agree the interviewer dropped the ball, but emailing again and creating excuses for her will just come off poorly.

+1

Don't make excuses. It's unprofessional and passive-aggressive.

User avatar
silverlake33
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:57 am

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby silverlake33 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:05 am

I got my interview assignment last week and emailed my interviewer (male alum) on Thursday and have yet to receive a response. I know four days may not seem long, but it's already mid-November and well, four days is long in the realm of email.

Did anyone else have to wait close to a week to hear back just to schedule the interview?

ArghItsBlarg
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:51 pm

I had my interview last week on campus. I have to say that I was pretty underwhelmed. I went in with expectations of a meaningful experience and that was apparently naive of me. I was very obviously one of at least 4 or 5 interviews that the admissions counselor had that day. She was polite and made small talk, but the geniality went surface deep at best. She wasn't rude, mind you, but it was easily recognizable as the facade of professionalism.

The actual interview went about 20-25 minutes. It was all standard interview questions (She opened with What do you do in your spare time and then moved to "And my next question is: Why your undergrad, Give me some strengths and weaknesses, Why do you want to go to NU, What do you think your greatest challenge will be in law school?). No follow up questions to any of my answers. She did ask one minor question about my resume which proved that she did read it.

I'm sure I did fine, I'm a strong interviewer in general and there was nothing in this one that I hadn't seen in the past. I suppose I should get used to law school not quite being what I expected, in any event.

User avatar
Remnantofisrael
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby Remnantofisrael » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:12 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:I had my interview last week on campus. I have to say that I was pretty underwhelmed. I went in with expectations of a meaningful experience and that was apparently naive of me. I was very obviously one of at least 4 or 5 interviews that the admissions counselor had that day. She was polite and made small talk, but the geniality went surface deep at best. She wasn't rude, mind you, but it was easily recognizable as the facade of professionalism.

The actual interview went about 20-25 minutes. It was all standard interview questions (She opened with What do you do in your spare time and then moved to "And my next question is: Why your undergrad, Give me some strengths and weaknesses, Why do you want to go to NU, What do you think your greatest challenge will be in law school?). No follow up questions to any of my answers. She did ask one minor question about my resume which proved that she did read it.

I'm sure I did fine, I'm a strong interviewer in general and there was nothing in this one that I hadn't seen in the past. I suppose I should get used to law school not quite being what I expected, in any event.


EXACTLY the same for me. Possibly same interviewer. I get the feeling the whole thing is a formality. To be honest, I originally planned on having some questions during the inevitable "Do you have any questions for me" moment, but instead I just made a couple jokes. The person who did the interview was very nice and professional. Anyone stressing about the on-campus interview shouldn't. Just show up, don't be nervous and weird, and answer the questions.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:20 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote: Just show up, don't be nervous and weird, and answer the questions.


Good advice for life in general.

User avatar
wiseguy33
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:53 pm

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby wiseguy33 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:33 am

Got my interview scheduled for next week (finally). Thanks for all the help w/attire and preparation.

I was wondering, should I email my resume to the alumni interviewer ahead of time? I'm planning on bringing hard copies to the interview, but I don't know if they were given electronic copies by NU already.

User avatar
mrmangs
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby mrmangs » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:39 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:Got my interview scheduled for next week (finally). Thanks for all the help w/attire and preparation.

I was wondering, should I email my resume to the alumni interviewer ahead of time? I'm planning on bringing hard copies to the interview, but I don't know if they were given electronic copies by NU already.


That's a good idea. It can't hurt. Just send them a quick message something along the lines of "excited for the upcoming interview, and, for your convenience, I've attached my resume to this email."

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby Dany » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:46 pm

Both my NU interviewer and my Vandy interviewer asked me to email them my resume, so definitely send it. I don't think they get anything from the schools.

FlamingCow
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby FlamingCow » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:46 pm

eskimo wrote:Both my NU interviewer and my Vandy interviewer asked me to email them my resume, so definitely send it. I don't think they get anything from the schools.


Forgot to mention this. My NU interviewer requested an emailed resume, and I brought another one with me too. I'd recommend both.

User avatar
wiseguy33
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:53 pm

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby wiseguy33 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:47 pm

Thanks guys. One last question: My interview's at a coffeeshop. Should I order something? Do I sit at a table awkwardly without coffee while waiting for my interviewer? :roll:

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby Lwoods » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:28 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:Thanks guys. One last question: My interview's at a coffeeshop. Should I order something? Do I sit at a table awkwardly without coffee while waiting for my interviewer? :roll:

My interviewer and I both got bottled water.

User avatar
mrmangs
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Postby mrmangs » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:41 pm

You should order coffee. When your interviewer comes, you should get up, and, in going in for the handshake, clumsily knock your scalding beverage all over, preferably on the interviewer. It's a good ice breaker.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, ND2018 and 5 guests