Northwestern Interviews 2010 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
shanshan333

Bronze

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Post by shanshan333 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:10 pm

If you read the post above yours with samples of questions that his interviewer asked it does not seem like it should be an issue that you are not knowledgable about his area of expertise. If you really want to be able to strike a conversation regarding the matter in the event of an awkward silence, you could always just prepare some really general comments about it. Maybe acknowledge the fact that you don't know much about the finance area of study and are wondering what about it interest him, etc. I really don't think it matters it may just be a testament to your character, though, that you are able to hold a conversation about even something to which you have no background in nor prior knowledge of.

I also have a question guys! My interviewer still has not emailed me back... should I call the school/ email her again? Aren't we suppose to have these interviews by December 1st?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:17 pm

shanshan333 wrote:
I also have a question guys! My interviewer still has not emailed me back... should I call the school/ email her again? Aren't we suppose to have these interviews by December 1st?
Call the interviewer. If s/he isn't there, hopefully his/her assistant will be able to help you out wrt timing. If it still looks questionable after that, call the school.

As for the deadline, you just needed to have made the request by December 1; off-campus interviews don't need to be completed until early February.
Important Dates

August 1
Off-campus requesting period begins.

September 1
On-campus interviewing begins.

November 15
Deadline for completion of mandatory on-campus interviews for Early Decision candidates.

December 1
Deadline for requesting off-campus interviews.

December 15
Deadline for completion of interviews for Accelerated JD candidates.

Early February
Latest date for scheduling an interview with an alumnus.

Late February
Interview season closes.
https://www.law.northwestern.edu/admiss ... rview.html

shanshan333

Bronze

Post by shanshan333 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:38 pm

Requesting interviews as in asking the school for one? So I'm basically good?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:44 pm

shanshan333 wrote:Requesting interviews as in asking the school for one? So I'm basically good?
Yep!

trutherd

New

Post by trutherd » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:43 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:I have my off-campus interview today at the office of a partner in a very large firm. I'm a little nervous because I have zero interest in finance and transactions, his specialties; I'm interested in PI. How much should I worry about being able to shoot the shit with him? Should I just gather lots of NU questions to have answered?
How'd it go?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ash8309

Bronze

Post by ash8309 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:33 pm

I had my interview 2 days ago in D.C with an alum. I thought it went really well. She asked basic questions like 'Why Northwestern?' 'Why law school?' and questions about my professional background (5 years WE in non profits) and leadership and management style.

jfb

Bronze

Post by jfb » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:45 pm

Hey, I put this ? in a seperate thread but didn't get much feedback. I just submitted my app yesterday and couldn't get an interview that worked for me until Jan. 10. Any idea how much of a disadvantage this will put me at? Will it be almost as if I did not submit my app until then??

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:21 pm

jfb wrote:Hey, I put this ? in a seperate thread but didn't get much feedback. I just submitted my app yesterday and couldn't get an interview that worked for me until Jan. 10. Any idea how much of a disadvantage this will put me at? Will it be almost as if I did not submit my app until then??
I asked my interviewer about this when I interviewed last week. He said NU holds your app until the interviewer's report is sent in. I do not know how true this is, but I know I will be emailing him this week to make sure he submitted his report. Any way to kick up the date of your interview?

wiseguy33

Bronze

Post by wiseguy33 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:30 am

RJ127 wrote:
jfb wrote:Hey, I put this ? in a seperate thread but didn't get much feedback. I just submitted my app yesterday and couldn't get an interview that worked for me until Jan. 10. Any idea how much of a disadvantage this will put me at? Will it be almost as if I did not submit my app until then??
I asked my interviewer about this when I interviewed last week. He said NU holds your app until the interviewer's report is sent in. I do not know how true this is, but I know I will be emailing him this week to make sure he submitted his report. Any way to kick up the date of your interview?
NU definitely held my app until my interview report was sent in. Everything was in weeks before my interview, but I only got complete about a week after the interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:05 pm

My interviewer was very clear that they do not look at the app until the interviewer fills out their "exit form" thing for NU.

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:25 pm

It seems many people were asked what other schools they applied to/are considering. Did anyone mention that they had been admitted elsewhere in their response, or is that in poor taste? I am wondering if it would also be a bad idea to ask why they think NW at full price is a better idea than ND or WUSTL with a huge scholarship for someone looking to work in Chicago.

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:54 am

I had my on-campus interview in October planning to apply ED, but I ended up having to take the December LSAT so I'm waiting until next fall to apply. Does anyone know if I'll have to re-interview?

elsam1980

New

Post by elsam1980 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:26 pm

I have my interview scheduled for tomorrow morning; there wasn't another on-campus available time for two weeks, so I had to take the spot tomorrow morning. I am sweating. My only fear is that I will flounder when answering the why law school question. I feel like a lot of you seem to have a very specific idea on what a lawyer does and why you would want to do that exact job. I don't totally have that. Of course, I am also not totally vague about why I want to go to law school, but still I'm afraid I'll say something stupid. I think law school would be intellectually fascinating, practically important (ie get stuff done, help people, participate in processes with real effects) and something I would be good at (because of my previous interests and skills that I can speak about specifically) and that I would be happy doing since I enjoy what I imagine the lawyer-process to be. Are those considered specific reasons or bullshit reasons? I can also refer to my WE as a university lecturer and how it's led me to law school.
I would appreciate any productive feedback--be nice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:29 pm

elsam1980 wrote:I have my interview scheduled for tomorrow morning; there wasn't another on-campus available time for two weeks, so I had to take the spot tomorrow morning. I am sweating. My only fear is that I will flounder when answering the why law school question. I feel like a lot of you seem to have a very specific idea on what a lawyer does and why you would want to do that exact job. I don't totally have that. Of course, I am also not totally vague about why I want to go to law school, but still I'm afraid I'll say something stupid. I think law school would be intellectually fascinating, practically important (ie get stuff done, help people, participate in processes with real effects) and something I would be good at (because of my previous interests and skills that I can speak about specifically) and that I would be happy doing since I enjoy what I imagine the lawyer-process to be. Are those considered specific reasons or bullshit reasons? I can also refer to my WE as a university lecturer and how it's led me to law school.
I would appreciate any productive feedback--be nice.
Honestly, the bolded is what I told my interviewer. He said that was a good answer. Honestly, don't stress- he said, I quote: "We are just checking to see that you don't drool all over yourself."

(That said, I responded: "well hopefully I passed that test!" And got silence in return...)

elsam1980

New

Post by elsam1980 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:56 pm

@arism87: Thank you! I have been practicing answers all evening. I have to calm the gesticulation first because I watched myself talk and the hands had a life of their own. May be fine in teaching and trying to get 18 year-olds' attention, but it looked distracting in a different context.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:12 am

cubswin wrote:It seems many people were asked what other schools they applied to/are considering. Did anyone mention that they had been admitted elsewhere in their response, or is that in poor taste? I am wondering if it would also be a bad idea to ask why they think NW at full price is a better idea than ND or WUSTL with a huge scholarship for someone looking to work in Chicago.
Weird, they asked you this huh. I was worried I was interviewing with a robot, so I started just talking to see if I could get some sort of emotional response. Finally they were like, well, you should schedule some time to see some classes and visit some professors. ... "I have a job. And I've been accepted to a few schools already - here's the list. Some are more highly ranked than yours, some are not - you do the math. (I actually said that part in my head. :) ). I'll schedule some time to visit if I'm accepted."

Personally I found the interview itself to be in poor taste. They basically wasted at least half my time by not requesting my resume beforehand (we spent like fifteen minutes discussing why I picked my college and my major? When I have a bunch of work experience). And the admissions officer made absolutely no attempt to sell the school to me at all. I think it was late, and they certainly looked tired but... it didn't make me feel like they were interested in having me go there. I'm guessing it would have gone far better with an alumni - HR people can often be horrible interviewers.

I'm in a horrible mood due to this flu, but I think I'm simply used to job interviews where both parties show up with a general sense of who the other party is. This is why you do phone screens - so as not to waste either party's time if it's not even close to a fit. If you're going to haul someone in for an interview, it's really not good to waste the candidate's time excessively, particularly if you want them to come work for you (or... attend your school).

Bleh, I probably need more medication for my headache or something. Also edited for some grammar and such.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”