Northwestern Interviews 2010 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dany

Diamond

Northwestern Interviews 2010

Post by Dany » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:03 pm

Anyone else request one/get their interviewer assignment yet?

Hoping mine goes really well, as I have 0 work experience!

Knock

Platinum

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Post by Knock » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:18 pm

eskimo wrote:Anyone else request one/get their interviewer assignment yet?

Hoping mine goes really well, as I have 0 work experience!
Tell him that you're counting TLS posting as work experience, that will definitely win him over.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:04 pm

I've got my dude. It looks like he's got similar interests according to his firm page, so hopefully we get along.

I wonder how many interviews these people do?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:24 pm

Hannibal wrote:I've got my dude. It looks like he's got similar interests according to his firm page, so hopefully we get along.

I bet mine doesn't do very many; I'm in an area that probably doesn't send too many people up to NU.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:32 pm

eskimo wrote:
Hannibal wrote:I've got my dude. It looks like he's got similar interests according to his firm page, so hopefully we get along.

I bet mine doesn't do very many; I'm in an area that probably doesn't send too many people up to NU.
Are the interviewers just NU LS alums?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:37 pm

Knockglock wrote:
eskimo wrote:

The on campus interviews can be with people in admissions or current students.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:37 pm

Knockglock wrote:
eskimo wrote:

Yup. At least that's what I read somewhere I dont remember. Except of course, I "misread" or "misremembered".

thatjuanguy

New

Post by thatjuanguy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:00 pm

Just got mine yesterday!

I'm curious - what are you all expecting the content of the interview to be like? Are you preparing for anything specifically or not really?

blackmamba76

Bronze

Post by blackmamba76 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:13 pm

I just sent my request yesterday and was told could take about 3 weeks before it's scheduled.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:20 pm

thatjuanguy wrote:Just got mine yesterday!

I'm curious - what are you all expecting the content of the interview to be like? Are you preparing for anything specifically or not really?
If you search "Northwestern Interview" there are a ton of old threads, but basically it seems like on-campus interviews are thought to be more substantive/professional/have more difficult questions. The off-campus interviews are usually more conversational and more about personality. That's just what I've read on here though!

I'm preparing by researching my interviewer on LinkedIn, finding out more about who he/she works for, preparing some questions in case he/she asks if I have any, and making sure I can answer "Why Northwestern?"

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:54 pm

I'm researching this topic for the probable "Why NW" question:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =4&t=86361

MY2010

New

Post by MY2010 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:53 pm

Hey all,

Is there a reason you requested an interview early?
I kind of want to finish my apps or get a few more essays done before I'm stressing about the interview...maybe request mid-to-late Sept.
Do you think it's better to get it done sooner than later?

Let me know what you think.
Thanks!

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:00 pm

thatjuanguy wrote:Just got mine yesterday!

I applied ED, so I had an on-campus interview with an admissions person. The interview was just like a typical job interview. She asked me questions about past work experience, moments I was proud of in my work experience, instances of management/leadership, and why I wanted to attend NU. Be ready for a few personal questions phrased in an unexpected way. For example, she asked me about the last book I read. At the end, she asked me if I had any questions. My interview lasted about thirty minutes.

Remember to dress appropriately, especially for on-campus interviews. I wore a suit. Bring your resume. When I was there, I saw some guy scribbling out his resume on a blank piece of paper.

From what I've heard, the alum interviews are much more low key, but mine wasn't high pressure. The admissions lady was incredibly nice, but the whole thing felt a lot like I was applying for a job. We weren't just having a casual conversation about Northwestern. She came prepared with questions and a rubric.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:01 pm

MY2010 wrote:Hey all,

I kind of want to finish my apps or get a few more essays done before I'm stressing about the interview...maybe request mid-to-late Sept.

Thanks!
Doesn't really matter when you interview (I interviewed last year in October), but your application won't be complete until it's done.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:44 am

MY2010 wrote:Hey all,

Thanks!
I just want to have EVERYTHING done for law school apps by mid-October. Apps, scholarship essays, interviews, the whole 9 yards. I really need to focus on my grades this semester, and I want to make sure I get every last benefit associated with rolling admission, so it's just my personal preference to get everything done really early.

Also, I'm excited about the interview. I generally interview well, and interviews are more fun for me than they are stressful. For me, it's not something else to worry about, it's more something that I think will help my NU app, so I'm kind of eager to do it. :)

wonkymonkey

New

Post by wonkymonkey » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:42 am

I got my interviewer assignment on Friday. They website said it takes three weeks to get assigned but mine took 3 days. I am excited for the interview as well and am getting it done now so that it doesn't hold up my application from being complete when I submit it in October. Good luck everyone!

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:29 pm

Just submitted my request. I just recently decided to cast a little wider net with my apps, as I learned that my SO may be willing to move with me depending on where I get in. I'm excited, though admittedly terrified.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:34 pm

Any idea on how beneficial the interview is for RD applicants?

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:41 pm

I figure it can't hurt. I'm counting on my rugged good looks and musky scent to win them over, things which are difficult to convey in a "typical" law school application.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:44 pm

Marionberry wrote:I figure it can't hurt. I'm counting on my rugged good looks and musky scent to win them over, things which are difficult to convey in a "typical" law school application.
Paper app + dabbing your scent on it, problem solved.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:46 pm

My scent is particularly fragile. It loses most of its potency and aromatic compounds within 24 hours. I have to be fresh, or it doesn't work.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:02 pm

Marionberry wrote:My scent is particularly fragile. It loses most of its potency and aromatic compounds within 24 hours. I have to be fresh, or it doesn't work.
:lol:. Sounds like your interview is going to go well :P.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:06 pm

It says on their website that they discourge "general" personal statements and that your statement should talk about why you want to go to Northwestern. Anybody have any ideas as to how they're gonna play it? I just don't know how to address that in a way that's convincing.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:07 pm

Marionberry wrote:It says on their website that they discourge "general" personal statements and that your statement should talk about why you want to go to Northwestern. Anybody have any ideas as to how they're gonna play it? I just don't know how to address that in a way that's convincing.
I'm going to play it by not applying to NU :P. Or if I get a fee waiver, i'll just send in generic documents.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:14 pm

Well, being a splitter I don't have that luxury.

Also, if that's the case, why are you in this thread? Apply to NU or GTFO.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”