Northwestern Interviews 2010 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thatjuanguy

New

Re: Northwestern Interviews 2010

Post by thatjuanguy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:42 am

I had mine in early September and it was super laid back - I showed up in shirt and tie and he showed up in shorts and tshirt, I would guess this is all location specific though, we were meeting at a Starbucks near the beach lol.

My advice: be prepared but make sure you come off as a real person and not a robot.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:15 am

hipstermafia wrote: i'll be donning a little black dress - benefits of being a chick?
Among other things...
:D

r6_philly wrote:I will be wearing a suit. Mine is at a downtown hotel in philly, and that's a place you wear a suit to. I wear tshirt and shorts to work, but to get someone take me seriously professionally, a suit is required. They did ask for a resume too so I am treating it like a work interview.
Good point.
I'll be donning one as well. Been so long since I've had to wear one..

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:10 am

trudat15 wrote: Good point.
I'll be donning one as well. Been so long since I've had to wear one..
Ha I have worn a suit exactly 5 times in the last 10 years

Court (witness)
Grad school interview
Job Interview X 3

I actually bought new suits this time around thinking I would need it for work then I chose the job where I can wear shorts. I guess I will be saving those suits for when I am actually a lawyer...

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:20 am

eskimo wrote:Anyone else request one/get their interviewer assignment yet?

Hoping mine goes really well, as I have 0 work experience!
since you have zero....what did you put on their application where it gives you the option of 1-10000 work experience years?

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:20 am

crossingforHYS wrote:
eskimo wrote:Anyone else request one/get their interviewer assignment yet?

Hoping mine goes really well, as I have 0 work experience!
since you have zero....what did you put on their application where it gives you the option of 1-10000 work experience years?
oh and GOOD LUCK

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

haydee

New

Post by haydee » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:12 am

The nearest interviewing location is several hours away from me, and I don't have a (working) car. I'm thinking very seriously about not scheduling one -- I just don't see how it's feasible.

Who agrees that this will probably Hindenburg my chances at NU?

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:14 am

haydee wrote:The nearest interviewing location is several hours away from me, and I don't have a (working) car. I'm thinking very seriously about not scheduling one -- I just don't see how it's feasible.

+1

Edit: Amtrak? Greyhound? There's some way to get there. If it seems like too much of a bother then it looks like their interviewing program works-it's screening those who aren't totally serious about NU.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:17 am

They should have phone interviews for people who are not close to available locations. I really do like interviews, I wish more schools offered them.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:21 am

r6_philly wrote: I really do like interviews, I wish more schools offered them.
agreed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:24 am

haydee wrote:The nearest interviewing location is several hours away from me, and I don't have a (working) car. I'm thinking very seriously about not scheduling one -- I just don't see how it's feasible.

If you're seriously interested in NU try to make the interview happen. Rent a car, borrow someone's car, take public transport, something.

haydee

New

Post by haydee » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:36 am

r6_philly wrote:They should have phone interviews for people who are not close to available locations.
They really should, especially for international applicants. Or people who live in Wyoming... or the Dakotas, or Montana.

The NU app does not contain any space for you to indicate why you didn't interview, right? Do we think they'd bother to investigate how far you are from the nearest interviewing location, and extrapolate? Or am I looking at an auto-ding?

I am not sure public transportation is as inexpensive and workable as some people seem to think it is.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:49 am

Why don't you email admissions and request a phone interview. State your situation and ask for understanding. If anything they would know you tried and give you an exemption on the interview requirement.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:53 am

haydee wrote:
r6_philly wrote:They should have phone interviews for people who are not close to available locations.
They really should, especially for international applicants. Or people who live in Wyoming... or the Dakotas, or Montana.

The NU app does not contain any space for you to indicate why you didn't interview, right? Do we think they'd bother to investigate how far you are from the nearest interviewing location, and extrapolate? Or am I looking at an auto-ding?

I am not sure public transportation is as inexpensive and workable as some people seem to think it is.
Public transport can be quite expensive and inconvenient, completely agreed, but if it's the only way of getting there...

FWIW, at an lsac forum a few months back I had an adcom tell me that NU looks down upon applicants who can interview and 'choose' not to. I would think they can infer you're not in a major city from your address but I doubt they would go as far as investigating how far you are from the nearest interviewing location. You could shoot them a quick e-mail and ask if they will accept an addendum explaining the situation, but unfortunately I think they have applicants who travel 3+ hours to interview and may consider you not interviewing as 'choosing' not to :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

haydee

New

Post by haydee » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:02 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
haydee wrote:

Public transport can be quite expensive and inconvenient, completely agreed, but if it's the only way of getting there...

FWIW, at an lsac forum a few months back I had an adcom tell me that NU looks down upon applicants who can interview and 'choose' not to. I would think they can infer you're not in a major city from your address but I doubt they would go as far as investigating how far you are from the nearest interviewing location. You could shoot them a quick e-mail and ask if they will accept an addendum explaining the situation, but unfortunately I think they have applicants who travel 3+ hours to interview and may consider you not interviewing as 'choosing' not to :(
Guess I'm firing an email to NU to ask about phone interviews/explanatory addenda.

I have no idea how Greyhound buses acquired a reputation for transporting drunken homeless people. These prices are $$, and with this schedule I'd also have to take off of work and stay in a hotel. If I had that kind of cash money, I would get my poor car fixed :(.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:21 pm

haydee wrote:
Guess I'm firing an email to NU to ask about phone interviews/explanatory addenda.

I have no idea how Greyhound buses acquired a reputation for transporting drunken homeless people. These prices are $$, and with this schedule I'd also have to take off of work and stay in a hotel. If I had that kind of cash money, I would get my poor car fixed :(.
Seriously! and amtrak is awfully expensive as well. I hope it works out, it can only help that you're making an effort to interview via phone/communicate your situation. I had a random question that I e-mailed NU about and I got a super nice and timely response, good luck!

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:25 pm

Reporting back post interview, general outline:

- questions about my resume
- why law school
- why northwestern
- my questions

I didn't get any crazy 'what kind of super power would you pick' -esque questions, the questions were professional and my interviewer spoke very highly of northwestern (okay, obviously, but still).

If anyone has specific questions feel free to PM me! Good luck :)

broker02

New

Post by broker02 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:21 pm

Mine is tomorrow at 9 at my interviewer's law firm. I'll post back with an update.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Godfather2010

New

Post by Godfather2010 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:33 am

Last edited by Godfather2010 on Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:10 pm

Did mine yesterday in a hotel lobby. Had a great time, learned a lot about the school that's not on the website and had a better understanding of what they have to offer. I think she also had a much better understanding of me as a person and candidate that may not have been possible through a 2-page PS. I wish every school interviewed.

prerna

New

Post by prerna » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:17 pm

i just scheduled my on campus interview...flying in from upstate new york in the morning and flying back at night...in retrospect i probably should have just taken an alum interview in nyc...

Trustbuster

Bronze

Post by Trustbuster » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:07 pm

Had mine a couple of days ago a a Starbucks. Friendly guy, though he gave off a vibe that seemed to say "Get out while you still can." He advised me to enjoy my 20s a bit more and maybe work a bit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:42 pm

Trustbuster wrote:Had mine a couple of days ago a a Starbucks. Friendly guy, though he gave off a vibe that seemed to say "Get out while you still can." He advised me to enjoy my 20s a bit more and maybe work a bit.
Is that a "soft reject"? :shock:

Trustbuster

Bronze

Post by Trustbuster » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:56 pm

Well I am coming straight from undergrad, and it is Northwestern. The interview went well, don't get me wrong. It just had an awkward vibe.

DearCan

Bronze

Post by DearCan » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:51 am

Just returned from Chicago and my on-campus interview. I want this school so bad I can taste it.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:50 am

I did mine last week with a partner at a very large law firm - I met him at his office but to my surprise it was very relaxed. No psychological/tricky questions or anything, we just chatted about my employment history and my interest in law school/NW, I asked him a few questions about his career path, he told me some interesting stories. We had both worked in the robotics field so we had a lot in common; overall I really enjoyed the interview and wish more schools did them. He said he doesn't have any direct involvement in the admissions process but he submits an evaluation. I imagine it functions somewhat like an additional LOR.

edit: since some people have been asking about attire...I wore a suit, if I were meeting him at a Starbucks or something I may have gone with a shirt and tie, but in general I treated it like a job interview.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”