Best Course of Action

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
arean.ryan

Best Course of Action

Postby arean.ryan » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:04 pm

I am currently 23, taking Oct. 9th LSAT applying for the 2011 cycle.

When I was 18 I visited the University of Oklahoma in Norman, I know what you're thinking why would you ever go there (friends/booze/party).

I was drinking in an apartment parking lot and next thing I know an undercover officer asks for my I.D. and drink, being a minor he obviously writes me a ticket for Minor in Consumption. Being an immature 18 year old at the time I laugh, rip the ticket into pieces, and say "it's not like I'm gonna be caught dead in this sh*thole state again."

Well like all of my bold and idiotic predictions, this one also has come back to haunt me.
I am going to have to take care of this ticket because I have an active warrant in the city of Norman. I called the Municipal Court and they told me I have two options:
A. I could pay around $650 to handle it over the phone and it will go on my record as a conviction and a forfeiture of bond.
B. I can set up a court date, in which I must travel to Norman and explain my situation to a judge, and he will determine my fate.

Anyone have a similar experience? Words of advice to those that are familiar with legalities and the law school admission process?

Thanks

legalease9

Re: Best Course of Action

Postby legalease9 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:26 pm

Over the phone. You will pay almost as much if you fly down, and I don't see any reason why the judge would be lenient with you.

arean.ryan

Postby arean.ryan » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:05 pm

legalease9 wrote:Over the phone. You will pay almost as much if you fly down, and I don't see any reason why the judge would be lenient with you.

Will the conviction on my record be damaging, if so I would rather spend the resources to attempt to protect my record in court.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:25 pm

...talk to a lawyer? That's also going to cost you, but it would be far more helpful than anything anyone on here could say. See if you can get a phone consultation with somebody who does this sort of thing near UofO.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”