Interviews? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
whymeohgodno

Gold

Interviews?

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:29 pm

Do the t14 schools ask for interviews?

And if so is it in person or over the phone and only for a few people they actually are considering for acceptance?

Knock

Platinum

Re: Interviews?

Post by Knock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:48 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Do the t14 schools ask for interviews?

And if so is it in person or over the phone and only for a few people they actually are considering for acceptance?
Only Northwestern does. It's in person. And I think it's for anyone that wants one, you have to schedule them. I'm not sure on all the details, they might request you to be interviewed if they're considering you. I'll let one of the NU students fill in the details.

2ofspades

Bronze

Post by 2ofspades » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:16 am

The NW interview is open to any applicant that wants one. And applicants there are STRONGLY encouraged to interview...not doing so is a great way to get on their waitlist.

Also, it's good to note for NW that you have two options for the interview - you can schedule an on-campus interview in the admissions office or you can request an off-campus interview, and they'll assign you to an interviewer located near you. On-campus interviews can be scheduled throughout the application cycle into February, but if you can't/don't want to make the trek to Chicago before having an offer, then you have to request the off-campus much earlier - there's a strict December 1 deadline to request an off-campus interview, and some areas will book solid beforehand.

There are other T14s that interview applicants, but only in rare cases and at the discretion of the school.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:23 am

2ofspades wrote:The NW interview is open to any applicant that wants one. And applicants there are STRONGLY encouraged to interview...not doing so is a great way to get on their waitlist.

Also, it's good to note for NW that you have two options for the interview - you can schedule an on-campus interview in the admissions office or you can request an off-campus interview, and they'll assign you to an interviewer located near you. On-campus interviews can be scheduled throughout the application cycle into February, but if you can't/don't want to make the trek to Chicago before having an offer, then you have to request the off-campus much earlier - there's a strict December 1 deadline to request an off-campus interview, and some areas will book solid beforehand.

There are other T14s that interview applicants, but only in rare cases and at the discretion of the school.
Rare cases? Can you elaborate?

2ofspades

Bronze

Post by 2ofspades » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:45 am

Well, I suppose the JR1 at Harvard isn't all that rare. That's a phone interview. There's also Chicago - you can check out their FAQs page, and it'll say something about select applicants being interviewed at the request of the committee. TLSers have also posted about interview requests from Georgetown in past years, but I don't know if GULC still requests interviews or not. And there's Cornell. That's at the request of the admissions committee too, although I think they allow waitlisted applicants to request an interview. There may be others, but not that I'm familiar with.

HTH

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”