Need advice regarding multiple LSAT scores

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
clownshoes

Need advice regarding multiple LSAT scores

Postby clownshoes » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:34 pm

I've taken the LSAT 3 times. I canceled my first score and received a 154 and 174 the second and third times I took the test. I canceled my first score because I had a lot of trouble focusing during the test and similarly the second time, had trouble focusing. I had studied for about 6 months before taking the test for the first time, had read the logic games and logical reasoning bibles and had taken almost every practice test available, point being that my low score was not caused by lack of familiarity with the test. During undergrad my inability to sustain focus for extended periods of time wasn't game breaking because tests weren't timed. I was able to go back and reread questions or passages that I may have spaced out on and take breaks when needed. On the LSAT this wasn't the case. Often it was as if my mind had a mind of its own. I would have to read logical reasoning stimuli sometimes 4 or 5 times just to get the information in my head. I would get through a reading comprehension passage and have no idea what I just read. This wasn't due to the difficulty of the material. My mind would simply be somewhere else. I would hear each individual word in my head but wouldn't be putting words together to form concepts. After I received my 154, I scheduled an appointment with my doctor to discuss the issue as I felt my potential was being severely crippled. After some trial and error we eventually found a medication that cleared up my mind and allowed me to focus for extended periods of time and as you can see, had a huge impact on my score. I'm wondering how I should go about these multiple LSAT scores during the application process. I'm guessing if I don't explain the discrepancy between the scores it will raise some red flags. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to tell schools I'm on a medication either. I have my eye on a few T14 schools and feel the 174 is representative of my ability. If anybody has any advice or first hand experience it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Knock

Re: Need advice regarding multiple LSAT scores

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:38 pm

clownshoes wrote:I've taken the LSAT 3 times. I canceled my first score and received a 154 and 174 the second and third times I took the test. I canceled my first score because I had a lot of trouble focusing during the test and similarly the second time, had trouble focusing. I had studied for about 6 months before taking the test for the first time, had read the logic games and logical reasoning bibles and had taken almost every practice test available, point being that my low score was not caused by lack of familiarity with the test. During undergrad my inability to sustain focus for extended periods of time wasn't game breaking because tests weren't timed. I was able to go back and reread questions or passages that I may have spaced out on and take breaks when needed. On the LSAT this wasn't the case. Often it was as if my mind had a mind of its own. I would have to read logical reasoning stimuli sometimes 4 or 5 times just to get the information in my head. I would get through a reading comprehension passage and have no idea what I just read. This wasn't due to the difficulty of the material. My mind would simply be somewhere else. I would hear each individual word in my head but wouldn't be putting words together to form concepts. After I received my 154, I scheduled an appointment with my doctor to discuss the issue as I felt my potential was being severely crippled. After some trial and error we eventually found a medication that cleared up my mind and allowed me to focus for extended periods of time and as you can see, had a huge impact on my score. I'm wondering how I should go about these multiple LSAT scores during the application process. I'm guessing if I don't explain the discrepancy between the scores it will raise some red flags. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to tell schools I'm on a medication either. I have my eye on a few T14 schools and feel the 174 is representative of my ability. If anybody has any advice or first hand experience it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Write an addendum. Explain that the 154 came before you were diagnosed with your medical condition. After taking medication to treat your condition, you scored a 174. The 174 is more representative of your abilities because you weren't being held back by an undiagnosed and untreated medical condition.

Most schools don't average, and will take the highest score. HYS though, have been rumored to average, as well as possibly CCN.

You're in a great place man, good luck.

clownshoes

Postby clownshoes » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:55 pm

Knockglock wrote:
clownshoes wrote:I've taken the LSAT 3 times. I canceled my first score and received a 154 and 174 the second and third times I took the test. I canceled my first score because I had a lot of trouble focusing during the test and similarly the second time, had trouble focusing. I had studied for about 6 months before taking the test for the first time, had read the logic games and logical reasoning bibles and had taken almost every practice test available, point being that my low score was not caused by lack of familiarity with the test. During undergrad my inability to sustain focus for extended periods of time wasn't game breaking because tests weren't timed. I was able to go back and reread questions or passages that I may have spaced out on and take breaks when needed. On the LSAT this wasn't the case. Often it was as if my mind had a mind of its own. I would have to read logical reasoning stimuli sometimes 4 or 5 times just to get the information in my head. I would get through a reading comprehension passage and have no idea what I just read. This wasn't due to the difficulty of the material. My mind would simply be somewhere else. I would hear each individual word in my head but wouldn't be putting words together to form concepts. After I received my 154, I scheduled an appointment with my doctor to discuss the issue as I felt my potential was being severely crippled. After some trial and error we eventually found a medication that cleared up my mind and allowed me to focus for extended periods of time and as you can see, had a huge impact on my score. I'm wondering how I should go about these multiple LSAT scores during the application process. I'm guessing if I don't explain the discrepancy between the scores it will raise some red flags. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to tell schools I'm on a medication either. I have my eye on a few T14 schools and feel the 174 is representative of my ability. If anybody has any advice or first hand experience it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Write an addendum. Explain that the 154 came before you were diagnosed with your medical condition. After taking medication to treat your condition, you scored a 174. The 174 is more representative of your abilities because you weren't being held back by an undiagnosed and untreated medical condition.

Most schools don't average, and will take the highest score. HYS though, have been rumored to average, as well as possibly CCN.

Thanks man, I appreciate the response. That sounds like it's probably my best option. I just wanted to make sure schools wouldn't frown upon me taking a medication for the LSAT and possibly law school.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:59 pm

clownshoes wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

Thanks man, I appreciate the response. That sounds like it's probably my best option. I just wanted to make sure schools wouldn't frown upon me taking a medication for the LSAT and possibly law school.

No problem, glad to help :). I seriously doubt they will. I think there's some anti-discrimination laws out there or something. I couldn't imagine it affecting your application. If anything, getting diagnosed and receiving medication will make for a really solid addendum, in my opinion. Much better than just being vague about "feeling sick" or something, lol.

But yeah, I would treat your cycle as if you have a 174, at least for schools that aren't HYS.

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:10 am

Taking pills because you need them to fix a problem is not something that should be frowned upon by the adcomms. Now, if your addendum said, "I really screwed the pooch the first time around, so I hit the street corner for some brain pills and then totally rocked it the next time," then I'd say you should worry about it. As it is, though, you've presented a valid reason for the adcomms to consider the 174 and discount the 154. As long as you've got the medical records to back it up if they call you on it, you should be golden.

Even for schools that do average, by the way, I think with such a big discrepancy you may actually be in better shape than, say, me, with a 169/176 split. My addendum, if I wrote one, would only say, "Well, I took it on a whim the first time without really preparing, so, yeah, please ignore that one." In my situation, it would make sense for an adcomm to consider the average of my scores representative. In yours, a 164 is nothing at all like either the 154 or the 174, so there's much more reason for them to only consider one score seriously.

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:19 pm

Just to second the above posts, it may help you feel less shy to know that some law schools actually take a strong, proactive stance in promoting mental health awareness and support. Some schools have a student organization for it, and some also post information on counseling and peer support services on their websites. To me, that's a pretty strong indication that schools are aware that treating mental health conditions is a priority.

HTH - and congrats on your retake! Truly fantastic.

clownshoes

Postby clownshoes » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:01 pm

Thanks again for all the replies and great suggestions. Glad to know this won't have a negative impact on my applications.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”