Request LORs now or wait until PS is done?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vicuna

Request LORs now or wait until PS is done?

Postby vicuna » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:56 pm

Though I have casually mentioned to my three recommenders that I'd like them to write a letter for me, I have not officially done so, nor have I offered them the relevant materials. Eventually, as recommended by TLS and others, I'd like to send my transcript, personal statement, any supplemental essays, any relevant coursework, etc. to my recommenders.

However, though I have a general idea of the outline and theme of my personal statement and supplemental essay, they are still very rough (and in the case of the PS, only partially written). So my question is: should I go ahead and email my recommenders and send them as much information as I can (i.e. my transcript, the general theme of my essays, etc.) so they can begin working on it now? Or, should I wait until the essays are done so they can have a fuller appreciation of my application?

Thanks.

bk1

Re: Request LORs now or wait until PS is done?

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:59 pm

If you think having a polished PS will make a significant difference in the quality of LOR then I would say wait. If not, then just send a rough (that's what I did, my recommender specifically asked for a rough because he knew I probably wouldn't be done with it yet).

In any case, it is not worth delaying your application over. Your LOR's will probably not be too much different between whether they look at a rough or final PS, but a significant delay in your application can definitely hurt you.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:50 pm

At least one of my recommenders didn't ask for any info from me (no transcript/resume/ps/LSAT score/which law schools im applying to). I still think she will write a good+detailed LOR for me based on my performance in her class -- should I be nervous at all?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:15 pm

I let my LOR writer see my PS, but I'm not sure they read it. :lol:

Ask now.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:38 pm

acrossthelake wrote:I let my LOR writer see my PS, but I'm not sure they read it. :lol:

Ask now.

My LOR caught a few errors in my PS, and also gave me a suggestion to make it less biographical and more about why I want to go to law school; advice I think I will refrain from following.

kazu

Postby kazu » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:02 pm

Ask now... some recommenders take forever to write an LOR.

bk1 wrote:In any case, it is not worth delaying your application over. Your LOR's will probably not be too much different between whether they look at a rough or final PS, but a significant delay in your application can definitely hurt you.

+1.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”