People with DS-like Personal Statements

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nykfan7073

People with DS-like Personal Statements

Postby nykfan7073 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:11 am

Here is my dilemna:
My personal statement is about my mixed religious background and how that has contributed to my character, etc. It is very diversity-statement like.

My issue is that I am also interested in writing a diversity statement about my socioeconomic background (raised in a single-parent low income family).

Will that be too redundant or is it OK if they cover to distinct subjects?

Do people with ds-sounding personal statements usually avoid writing a diversity statement?

ArchRoark

Re: People with DS-like Personal Statements

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:15 am

nykfan7073 wrote:Here is my dilemna:
My personal statement is about my mixed religious background and how that has contributed to my character, etc. It is very diversity-statement like.

My issue is that I am also interested in writing a diversity statement about my socioeconomic background (raised in a single-parent low income family).

Do people with ds-sounding personal statements usually avoid writing a diversity statement?

They only avoid doing it if the information overlaps. However, in your care it seems that they wouldn't so I say write both.

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:15 pm

nykfan7073 wrote:Here is my dilemna:

Maybe I'm thinking about this incorrectly, but wouldn't you do it the other way around?

It would seem to me on the surface a mixed religious background represents diversity (DS) and your socioeconomic spiel describes you overcoming adversity (PS).

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:16 pm

rdcws000 wrote:Maybe I'm thinking about this incorrectly, but wouldn't you do it the other way around?

It would seem to me on the surface a mixed religious background represents diversity (DS) and your socioeconomic spiel describes you overcoming adversity (PS).

I think a case can be made for both as either. I would go with the one that you can squeeze the strongest life narrative out of for the PS.

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:54 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:Maybe I'm thinking about this incorrectly, but wouldn't you do it the other way around?

I think a case can be made for both as either. I would go with the one that you can squeeze the strongest life narrative out of for the PS.

Agreed.

And since I don't know the facts of the two situations I'm just thinking at face value the mix religious background is boring, unless it's like my mom is a fundamentalist muslim and my dad is a jew or something.

Socioeconomic status however can be extremely compelling as an example of overcoming adversity if you write it well.

Again I don't know your facts, and maybe the religious thing is really interesting. I can see the religious background being "who you are" but I have a harder time accepting your socioeconomic status as diversity.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”