Affirmative Action Ruining Admissions? Lol yea right.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
farewelltoarms

Affirmative Action Ruining Admissions? Lol yea right.

Postby farewelltoarms » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:43 am

So I just started at UF law. As a 0L, I always read posts on various forums that affirmative action and diversity boosts for low lsat scores were taking spots from qualified white applicants. Well, the rampancy of this practice may have been a little overstated by its naysayers. Out of my section of 100 people, there were 2 black men (myself included but I'm only half) and 3 black women. I believe I saw 1 Asian person as well.

Wow, that's a paltry number. Let's assume UF does give a diversity boost to its applicants. Imagine if they didn't. Its bad enough having only 6 African Americans out of 100, but it could easily be 0 had they used race blind admissions.

Nulli Secundus

Re: Affirmative Action Ruining Admissions? Lol yea right.

Postby Nulli Secundus » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:45 am

Wow you are racist.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:49 am

--ImageRemoved-- (LinkRemoved)
Also, lol, what a nuanced discussion of a very controversial and complicated subject with a lot of grey area.

[/sarcasm]

kazu

Postby kazu » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:49 am

ibtl...

cartercl

Postby cartercl » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:08 am

In before "you're not black."

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:11 am

Sigh.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:40 am

farewelltoarms wrote:So I just started at UF law. As a 0L, I always read posts on various forums that affirmative action and diversity boosts for low lsat scores were taking spots from qualified white applicants. Well, the rampancy of this practice may have been a little overstated by its naysayers. Out of my section of 100 people, there were 2 black men (myself included but I'm only half) and 3 black women. I believe I saw 1 Asian person as well.

Wow, that's a paltry number. Let's assume UF does give a diversity boost to its applicants. Imagine if they didn't. Its bad enough having only 6 African Americans out of 100, but it could easily be 0 had they used race blind admissions.

Maybe boosts are leading to better places than UF?

Beantown26

Postby Beantown26 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:36 am

farewelltoarms wrote:So I just started at UF law. As a 0L, I always read posts on various forums that affirmative action and diversity boosts for low lsat scores were taking spots from qualified white applicants. Well, the rampancy of this practice may have been a little overstated by its naysayers. Out of my section of 100 people, there were 2 black men (myself included but I'm only half) and 3 black women. I believe I saw 1 Asian person as well.

Posts like this make me assume you got in only because of AA...sounds real real dumb...get it together...your better than this.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:43 am

Beantown26 wrote:

Posts like this make me assume you got in only because of AA...sounds real real dumb...get it together...your better than this.

Edit for pointing out sad grammar mistake in a sadder thread. Didn't want to look like I was doing the +1 quote.
Last edited by Dany on Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

kazu

Postby kazu » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:48 am

How has this not been locked?

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:50 am

Beantown26 wrote:

Dead horse is dead.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:11 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

Maybe boosts are leading to better places than UF?

This is just mean-sprited enough to be the appropriate response to this post.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:15 am

Oooh, quick - somebody put in the Michael Jackson watching a movie and eating popcorn pic!

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:29 am

TommyK wrote:Oooh, quick - somebody put in the Michael Jackson watching a movie and eating popcorn pic!

Except there'll be nothing to get the popcorn ready for on this retarded thread.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:35 am

I'll bump in hopes of an AA shitshow but really lackluster showing so far guys.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:42 am

Fresh wrote:
TommyK wrote:Oooh, quick - somebody put in the Michael Jackson watching a movie and eating popcorn pic!

Except there'll be nothing to get the popcorn ready for on this retarded thread.

Nope.. but many reasons for cotton candy:
--ImageRemoved--

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:44 am

Kohinoor wrote:I'll bump in hopes of an AA shitshow but really lackluster showing so far guys.

Everybody knows all the *REAL* URM's in Florida go to UM. Jeez guys. Prestige > Rank.

God I hope I don't have to put a damn /sarcasm in here somewhere.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:45 am

John-Man thats jacked up, always trying to screw us over, when will america represent america......

Bob-Why do I have to go to duke but he goes to harvard with the same numbers, just because of the color of his skin.....

ok.. I tried to get things going.
sorry if i hurt anyones feelings.

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:01 am

just because you can doesn't mean you should.

kind of like attending law school, for most people...

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:10 am

let/them/eat/cake wrote:

just because you can doesn't mean you should.

kind of like attending law school, for most people...

You mean I have choices in life?

Well, this changes everything. I'm off to clown college!

Beantown26

Postby Beantown26 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:22 am

eskimo wrote:
Beantown26 wrote:

Edit for pointing out sad grammar mistake in a sadder thread. Didn't want to look like I was doing the +1 quote.

Is it safe to assume you don't date much??? HAHA...

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:29 am

WTF. I'm having to take time out of my fun day to clean up this mess? That means someone gets THE HAMMER.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”