LSAT Retake in October? (164/168) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Flustercluck

Bronze

LSAT Retake in October? (164/168)

Post by Flustercluck » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:36 pm

We're 50 days out and I haven't started prep yet, trying to decide whether to lock myself in LSAT hell once again...

I took the LSAT in Dec 09 and Feb 10, getting a 164 and 168 respectively. Was PTing 170-172 last couple weeks before the 2nd test. I applied too late in the cycled and got mass-waitlisted for the 2010 cycle. (6 WL ranked 20-30, 3 WL ranked 31-42). I'm a splitter with a 2.7, 2.5 years professional work experience in politics with a pattern of advancement (Multiple raises/promotions at the same firm have doubled my salary within 30 months), URMx2 (Blaxican), and i'm planning to reapply this fall.

My question is how much benefit could be derived from a retake? (I think my reasonable peak performance would be 170-172)

Would it really be that big of a boost with the two scores I've already received? With a GPA that low would I have any shot at money either way from schools ranked 20-50? Would it make a difference in my already slim chances at NW/GTown/UVA? And would it really make a difference when reapplying to the schools that waitlisted me this past year, or can i take for granted that reapplying and doing so early in the cycle would get me the boost i need to move off waitlist and into admit?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I definitely would appreciate a lot of answers. Thanks!

bk1

Diamond

Re: LSAT Retake in October? (164/168)

Post by bk1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:39 pm

If you can score a 172 it would be a huge boost. Putting yourself above a school's LSAT median will definitely make a difference, hopefully it would put you in a place to ED to NU and have a good shot. Some of the splitter-friendly schools may also offer you money (WUSTL, UIUC, etc).

I'm in a similar situation as you (sub 3 GPA, URM, retook the LSAT, applied late last cycle and am reapplying this cycle), and wish you the best of luck.

Flustercluck

Bronze

Post by Flustercluck » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:12 pm

bump-gasm

Flustercluck

Bronze

Post by Flustercluck » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:39 pm

wow, no more responses? I am Jack's inflamed sense of rejection...

Pip

Bronze

Post by Pip » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:41 pm

Imagine you are deciding the fate of 2 applicants... yourself and some other URMx2 that has the same gpa from a similar school... the only difference is you managed to get a 172 after taking the LSAT 3 times and the other person managed to get the 172 the first time. Who would you pick, if you only had space for 1?

I think you know the answer and the reality is even if a school "only looks at the highest score", we all know the schools are going to know that you took it 3 times and it wasn't because you loved taking standardized tests. I would say do yourself a favor, don't bother. You took it twice and both scores were near the mid 160s... that is probably where you are always going to score. You might pop up to low 170s once in a blue moon but you could also fall below 160 just as easily since you are probably a mid 160 and just hoping for the random jump (sometimes its a random fall).

Be honest with yourself, you know your grades are low and you also know that in a down economy everyone and his dog considers going to grad school to wait out the downturn... You might be best served to just work and get more experience, the longer you are out of school the less impact the gpa will have versus the LSAT.... even a 174 is still going to be with a 2.7 gpa.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:50 pm

Pip wrote:Imagine you are deciding the fate of 2 applicants... yourself and some other URMx2 that has the same gpa from a similar school... the only difference is you managed to get a 172 after taking the LSAT 3 times and the other person managed to get the 172 the first time. Who would you pick, if you only had space for 1?

I think you know the answer and the reality is even if a school "only looks at the highest score", we all know the schools are going to know that you took it 3 times and it wasn't because you loved taking standardized tests. I would say do yourself a favor, don't bother. You took it twice and both scores were near the mid 160s... that is probably where you are always going to score. You might pop up to low 170s once in a blue moon but you could also fall below 160 just as easily since you are probably a mid 160 and just hoping for the random jump (sometimes its a random fall).

Be honest with yourself, you know your grades are low and you also know that in a down economy everyone and his dog considers going to grad school to wait out the downturn... You might be best served to just work and get more experience, the longer you are out of school the less impact the gpa will have versus the LSAT.... even a 174 is still going to be with a 2.7 gpa.
I agree with the first part.... but what are the chances, you are probably equally likely to be against a 2.7 168 who took it once and if on your third time you got a 172 you would probably have an edge.

All in all pip is silly.

Retake, study better and harder, good luck

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:53 pm

Pip wrote:Imagine you are deciding the fate of 2 applicants... yourself and some other URMx2 that has the same gpa from a similar school... the only difference is you managed to get a 172 after taking the LSAT 3 times and the other person managed to get the 172 the first time. Who would you pick, if you only had space for 1?

FTFY

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:40 am

I'm almost in the same boat as you... 163/167 (and what I wouldn't do for that extra point!). I was PTing at 172-178 the second time around, which was the MOST frustrating. But I ultimately decided against re-taking because I really think that I get too nervous during the real thing to do as well on it as I do on PTs, and if I retake and get a 169 that's not going to help me a whole lot, since I'd have 3 scores.

I'm applying this cycle, and if I don't get in anywhere I'll take it again and apply again. (Though that decision was made easier for me since I have a job and a lot of the school's I'm applying to waive application fees for TFA alums.)

maroonzoon

New

Post by maroonzoon » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:22 pm

Last edited by maroonzoon on Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:58 am

Retake.
It cant hurt.. and it can really really help..
A lot of time 3 or 4 points is the difference between acceptance and denial, full ride and full price. IT WONT HURT YOU.
If you break into the 170s you will be in an relatively elite group of URM.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”