Law School Essays

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawyerwannabe

Law School Essays

Postby lawyerwannabe » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:15 pm

Out of curiosity, what schools in the t14 require an essay for their application?

I am wondering because I believe I saw someone say that UPenn requires one.

Thanks.

lifestooquick

Re: Law School Essays

Postby lifestooquick » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:16 pm

all of them.

if you're talking about supplemental essays, then only some I guess. they all require a personal statement which is an essay.

check http://www.appreqs.com for specific school requirements

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:19 pm

I am aware that a PS is mandatory.

I meant more like an essay that is part of the specific school's application.

UPenn wants either like a 5-year plan or they gave you two other topics to write about.

I am talking about the latter type of essay.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:21 pm

Or is the UPenn thing I am talking about optional?

BTW, really nice link. Thanks.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:22 pm

UPenn's is not optional. Most of the others are though. Read each of the requirements carefully to see.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:23 pm

Appreq is sort of out of date.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:24 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:I am aware that a PS is mandatory.

I meant more like an essay that is part of the specific school's application.

UPenn wants either like a 5-year plan or they gave you two other topics to write about.

I am talking about the latter type of essay.

That makes sense :) I know UPenn is the notorious one. And, of course, the Yale 250. But definitely look through appreqs, it has the most comprehensive info on that stuff. It may be slightly out of date, but it's better than no info at all I think.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:25 pm

Do the t6 want or recommend an optional essay (do they give topics?) or a why essay?

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:26 pm

The admissions dean at Ohio State (I know, not T14, but still credible I think) said at an open house that "when an application says optional, it's not really optional. you need to do it." I thought that was interesting - they really want you to do everything to give them the best overall view of you as possible. I'm going to remember that advice while filling out my apps.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:28 pm

Does that mean you are going to have your recommendors do an evaluation of you as well? :)

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:34 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:Does that mean you are going to have your recommendors do an evaluation of you as well? :)

LOL. Not at all. Mostly because that's optional from LSAC not on the school's actual application that they create. And because that evaluation crap is so stupid (I feel sorry for future applicants if it ever becomes required).

I just mean that if it comes down to you and someone else with similar numbers and you didn't write an optional essay but the other person did, that essay could make them choose the other person. Or I'm just overthinking it, lol.

She was actually referencing the diversity statement when she said that though (stating that racial diversity is not the only type of diversity and many people mistakenly believe that they should not write a diversity statement because they are white).

Sorry to slightly sidetrack your thread :oops:

DMXdawg

Postby DMXdawg » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:32 pm

Is there a specific way to write the five year plan? Or is it similar in format to the PS?

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:32 pm

DMXdawg wrote:Is there a specific way to write the five year plan? Or is it similar in format to the PS?

Same as PS, keep it to a page or less, double spaced, 11/12 pt. font.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:28 pm

lifestooquick wrote:The admissions dean at Ohio State (I know, not T14, but still credible I think) said at an open house that "when an application says optional, it's not really optional. you need to do it." I thought that was interesting - they really want you to do everything to give them the best overall view of you as possible. I'm going to remember that advice while filling out my apps.

Do you think this applies to diversity statements when you're so white and normal that you're not sure you can make an argument for diversity that doesn't make you sound disrespectful to people who are actually diverse?

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:58 pm

Bumi wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:The admissions dean at Ohio State (I know, not T14, but still credible I think) said at an open house that "when an application says optional, it's not really optional. you need to do it." I thought that was interesting - they really want you to do everything to give them the best overall view of you as possible. I'm going to remember that advice while filling out my apps.

Do you think this applies to diversity statements when you're so white and normal that you're not sure you can make an argument for diversity that doesn't make you sound disrespectful to people who are actually diverse?

Absolutely. Everyone is different in some way, brings some experience/attribute to the table that others don't. It's not just racial. For example, my DS is going to be about the fact that I'm a military brat. There's PLENTY of ways to approach diversity...I don't think it is disrespectful to those that are racially diverse to approach diversity from another angle.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”