Law School for military academy grads

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
falcon13

Law School for military academy grads

Postby falcon13 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:48 am

Do graduates from military academies get GPA boosts or bumps when applying and are their chances better of getting accepted into law school?

Knock

Re: Law School for military academy grads

Postby Knock » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:03 am

falcon13 wrote:Do graduates from military academies get GPA boosts or bumps when applying and are their chances better of getting accepted into law school?

Probably not unless you actually served. Military service is seen as a strong soft. As far as just attending the academy, I don't think it would help you out really.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:05 am

falcon13 wrote:Do graduates from military academies get GPA boosts or bumps when applying and are their chances better of getting accepted into law school?

According to the admissions dean at Yale, they recognise that grade deflation occurs at service academies. Then again, Yale Law doesn't actually exist. Who knows what real law schools do

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:39 am

Knockglock wrote:

Probably not unless you actually served. Military service is seen as a strong soft. As far as just attending the academy, I don't think it would help you out really.

If you're asking whether you'll get a definitive, quantifiable boost (e.g., +0.25)-- probably not. Will ADCOMS recognize the absence of grade inflation (different than "grade deflation") compared to other schools-- depends on the admissions dean. Also, it will probably be difficult for many of them to be able to tell you whether it's a GPA boost or a consideration of your military experience and what you'll bring to the law school.

But that said, I will have to respectfully disagree with Knockglock and say that a service academy degree likely will increase the probability of you getting into a reach school to some degree. Unfortunately, I can't tell you how much of a degree. (a-- I'm a 2L not an admissions dean; b-- again, depends on the school/dean). What I can tell you anecdotally, though, is that I'm a sub 25%GPA at notoriously GPA-loving Boalt (and sub median LSAT, so it wasn't that). I attribute that at least in part to my USNA degree. Lesson: Don't be afraid to reach!

Go Navy!

Edit: to eliminate a repetitive redundancy.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”