Four classes per semester or five?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Helicio

Four classes per semester or five?

Postby Helicio » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:18 am

Assuming I got the same grades with both loads, is it more advantageous to take more classes per semester? I currently plan on just taking four per semester. Would it be better to take five, to look more competitive? I have a 3.887 GPA from my school and I think around a 3.97 using the LSAC GPA. I'm going to be a sophomore, so that's why I ask.

Thanks guys. Glad I found this site.

P.S.--I used the search function, but answers varied a lot!

Knock

Re: Four classes per semester or five?

Postby Knock » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:20 am

Helicio wrote:Assuming I got the same grades with both loads, is it more advantageous to take more classes per semester? I currently plan on just taking four per semester. Would it be better to take five, to look more competitive? I have a 3.887 GPA from my school and I think around a 3.97 using the LSAC GPA. I'm going to be a sophomore, so that's why I ask.

Doesn't matter in the least. The only correct answer is to do whatever combination will result in the highest GPA. I would say take the lesser load and go be well-rounded.

Thanks for using the search though :P. Other new users, take notes.

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:27 am

Knockglock wrote:
Helicio wrote:Assuming I got the same grades with both loads, is it more advantageous to take more classes per semester? I currently plan on just taking four per semester. Would it be better to take five, to look more competitive? I have a 3.887 GPA from my school and I think around a 3.97 using the LSAC GPA. I'm going to be a sophomore, so that's why I ask.

Doesn't matter in the least. The only correct answer is to do whatever combination will result in the highest GPA. I would say take the lesser load and go be well-rounded.

Thanks for using the search though :P. Other new users, take notes.

Nice! I sent you a PM (am sending now). Check! :)

Pip

Postby Pip » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:44 am

Game the system.

Always sign up for more classes than you need in any semester. That way when you find the random *&%^ professor that will make your life miserable you can drop the class with no problems. The other option is to drop a class and add another one but in that case you would be behind, because most school will give you several weeks to drop classes without them showing up on your transcript. Just verify the final drop dates... and if you have no *&^( professors you can either take the extra load or drop the one that will take the most time.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”