application for rolling admissions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
iheartkennypowers

application for rolling admissions

Postby iheartkennypowers » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:55 pm

hey all,

i just have a question here that i pretty much know the answer to, but want to ask anyway, so correct me if i am wrong.

so i was just wondering about something regarding rolling admissions- if an applicant (with an undergrad degree) were to send in everything from the LSDAS in early september except his or her LSAT score, and then, upon writing the LSAT in february, have the LSAT score submitted to complete his or her various applications, this would hinder on their chances of admissions, even with good numbers, correct?

that said, it would likely be advisable to just write the february lsat and then wait until september to apply early in the cycle, i know that february applicants can be waitlisted etc. but it would be a good call to wait for september, correct?

thanks!

Knock

Re: application for rolling admissions

Postby Knock » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:00 am

iheartkennypowers wrote:hey all,

i just have a question here that i pretty much know the answer to, but want to ask anyway, so correct me if i am wrong.

so i was just wondering about something regarding rolling admissions- if an applicant (with an undergrad degree) were to send in everything from the LSDAS in early september except his or her LSAT score, and then, upon writing the LSAT in february, have the LSAT score submitted to complete his or her various applications, this would hinder on their chances of admissions, even with good numbers, correct?

that said, it would likely be advisable to just write the february lsat and then wait until september to apply early in the cycle, i know that february applicants can be waitlisted etc. but it would be a good call to wait for september, correct?

thanks!

If you're set on taking the Feb LSAT, which you shouldn't anyways because it's undisclosed, and if you're waiting to apply until 2011, you should just take the June test anyways, then you shouldn't apply this cycle. It's too late to apply this cycle with a Feb. LSAT score, for sure. It will hurt you a lot.

Or you could take the Oct. LSAT and get your applications in still fairly early.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:00 am

1. apply in september after you've taken the feb lsat. even if you 180, chances are schools will have more scholly funds to pass out early in the cycle.

2. stop being canadian. nobody "writes" the lsat. rawr.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:02 am

Would a person that says "write the LSAT" instead of taking the LSAT also say "read law" instead of studying law?

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:07 am

Knockglock wrote:If you're set on taking the Feb LSAT, which you shouldn't anyways because it's undisclosed, and if you're waiting to apply until 2011, you should just take the June test anyways, then you shouldn't apply this cycle. It's too late to apply this cycle with a Feb. LSAT score, for sure. It will hurt you a lot.

Or you could take the Oct. LSAT and get your applications in still fairly early.

I think it depends. If OP has specific circumstances (less busy schedule etc.) that makes the February LSAT preferable then s/he should take the Feb one by all means. Also, the undisclosed part only hurts if you end up having to retake it, since you have no clue how many you got wrong and in which sections. Undisclosed exams aren't more difficult or more weird.

That being said.. yes, if you take the February one you should wait until the next cycle - September - to send in your apps, it'll give you much better chances both on admittances and scholly money.

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:09 am

kazu wrote:
Knockglock wrote:If you're set on taking the Feb LSAT, which you shouldn't anyways because it's undisclosed, and if you're waiting to apply until 2011, you should just take the June test anyways, then you shouldn't apply this cycle. It's too late to apply this cycle with a Feb. LSAT score, for sure. It will hurt you a lot.

I think it depends. If OP has specific circumstances (less busy schedule etc.) that makes the February LSAT preferable then s/he should take the Feb one by all means. Also, the undisclosed part only hurts if you end up having to retake it, since you have no clue how many you got wrong and in which sections. Undisclosed exams aren't more difficult or more weird.

That being said.. yes, if you take the February one you should wait until the next cycle - September - to send in your apps, it'll give you much better chances both on admittances and scholly money.

Good points. I guess it's just a preference thing. I would want to know what I got wrong, and it would both me not knowing. Especially since i'm retaking and want to see where I messed up during the real deal. I personally wouldn't want to take the Feb. administration, but I could definitely understand if someone wanted to, especially if their schedule dictated it.

iheartkennypowers

Postby iheartkennypowers » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:15 am

thanks for the advice!

i pretty much knew that taking it in february and applying in september was the way to go, but i just wanted to check!

BTW- when you say the february lsat is not disclosed, does this mean you don't see what you did right and wrong, you just get a score and such?

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:18 am

iheartkennypowers wrote:thanks for the advice!

i pretty much knew that taking it in february and applying in september was the way to go, but i just wanted to check! i was only making this thread to make people hate canada just a little bit more

ftfyyyyy

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”