ed or money at GW

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
roysloppy

ed or money at GW

Postby roysloppy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:33 pm

I did a few searches for this topic but found a lot of older posts and I understand GWU standards have increased quite a bit.

I have 165 / 3.61 with 3 years federal gov WE. Was wondering if I have a shot at ED at GW (prob not) but more importantly a shot to get in (in reg applicant pool) with $$?

manbearwig

Re: ed or money at GW

Postby manbearwig » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:38 pm

roysloppy wrote:I did a few searches for this topic but found a lot of older posts and I understand GWU standards have increased quite a bit.

I have 165 / 3.61 with 3 years federal gov WE. Was wondering if I have a shot at ED at GW (prob not) but more importantly a shot to get in (in reg applicant pool) with $$?

I applied regular decision with higher numbers than you, got in, but no money.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:38 pm

GW's ED program is unusual, and all ED admits get full scholarships. For that reason, ED at GW is much more competitive than RD, and you have little chance.

A 165/3.61 is right around GW's medians, though, so you would have a shot RD. Not a great one, though, and definitely no scholarship.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:39 pm

OP, I would not expect money from GW. I was 169 / 3.5, EDed on a long shot, was deferred to regular admissions and accepted RD (in the same letter) with no money.

Still apply, but don't bank on a scholarship from GW.

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:46 pm

I don't think you have any real shot at getting in ED. I think your chances at acceptance RD are decent, but money will be kind of a crapshoot. This is primarily because money at GW seems to be sort of a crapshoot in general. I think money is possible for you, but I don't think it's likely or that you'd see $$$ unless you have something special about you (URM status, for example).

For background: Similar stats to CyLaw (interesting story, but I don't think I have anything on CyLaw's softs) and got in RD with decent money. Have a classmate who had around 25th percentile GPA and around median LSAT who got the same package I did. So I'm not entirely sure how the money thing was decided. It doesn't seem strictly numbers based, however.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:48 pm

mi-chan17 wrote:For background: Similar stats to CyLaw (interesting story, but I don't think I have anything on CyLaw's softs) and got in RD with decent money. Have a classmate who had around 25th percentile GPA and around median LSAT who got the same package I did. So I'm not entirely sure how the money thing was decided. It doesn't seem strictly numbers based, however.

GW was so random last cycle. :)

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:49 pm

CyLaw wrote:GW was so random last cycle. :)

Tru fax. *nods*

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:22 pm

They don't even give fee waivers.

Cheap bastards.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”