When should I submit applications?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Abazu

When should I submit applications?

Postby Abazu » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:23 pm

I anticipate on being a splitter (Low GPA, High LSAT). I'm taking the LSAT in October and need to decide whether it would be advantageous to submit applications immediately after my LSAT score is posted, or when fall semester grades will be out and submitted to LSAC (so that my GPA is slightly higher), which will be by early January. Thanks.

maroonzoon

Re: When should I submit applications?

Postby maroonzoon » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:20 pm

Abazu wrote:I anticipate on being a splitter (Low GPA, High LSAT). I'm taking the LSAT in October and need to decide whether it would be advantageous to submit applications immediately after my LSAT score is posted, or when fall semester grades will be out and submitted to LSAC (so that my GPA is slightly higher), which will be by early January. Thanks.

Depends on how much higher you expect your GPA to go...if it's just one semester, it probably won't make a huge difference. The earlier you apply, the better, but you should only apply with the very best application you can produce. You can even apply before your LSAT score is out, they simply don't review your app until they receive it. But that's a gamble if you end up bombing the test.

I took the LSAT last year fully expecting a 170+, PT'ing at 173 average over 10 tests. I got a 163.

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:13 pm

Unless you expect a pretty good GPA hike or think you'll cross your schools' GPA medians with your new grades, apply as early as you can. After the test, if you don't think your score will cut it for the schools you applied to, you can always just apply to some more. :)

Abazu

Postby Abazu » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:01 pm

Thanks for the input. It looks like I'll send out applications right after my LSAT score is released, as the GPA increase will only be marginal. One more question: if and when I do send my fall grades to LSAC, will the schools I've applied to be able to see those grades automatically, or will I have to request that LSAC send my information again to them?

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:08 pm

Abazu wrote:Thanks for the input. It looks like I'll send out applications right after my LSAT score is released, as the GPA increase will only be marginal. One more question: if and when I do send my fall grades to LSAC, will the schools I've applied to be able to see those grades automatically, or will I have to request that LSAC send my information again to them?

LSAC will send the updates to the schools without you having to do anything. When the school gets it after LSAC's processed the new transcript depends on how often they choose to receive the updates.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”