I was asked to write my own LOR...???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GoBroncos22!

I was asked to write my own LOR...???

Postby GoBroncos22! » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:20 pm

So I asked my boss of 7 years to write me a LOR. Of course me and him have a great realtionship and we have been family friends for our whole lives basically. I know he is always real busy and when I asked him he just said, "write what you want in it and give it to me to copy and put a header and signature on". So now, my question is does anyone have any idea what a employer would say in a LOR? I dont wanna say like "ya hes the best employee ive seen in my life, he deserves harvard". Should I make casual references to my work ethic, my help with customers, being on time, covering for others, etc...? How long are employee LOR usually? Thanks again guys, I know I have asked a few to many Q's lately, this should be the last of them...well, probably not but whatever

ellewoods110

Re: I was asked to write my own LOR...???

Postby ellewoods110 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:26 pm

you really shouldn't write your own LOR. The schools will be able to detect the similar writing styles between your Personal Statement and the LOR. As well, its highly unethical. You should provide the writer with your resume, and bullet points that you would like them to cover, but you should not write your own LOR.

GoBroncos22!

Postby GoBroncos22! » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:29 pm

Sorry, let me repharse that, he told me to write the major themes and bullet points then he would compile it and put his own touch on it. He just has very little time and this basically the only employer I can get a reference from

ShuckingNotJiving

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:52 pm

Don't write your own LOR

and

unrelated question: do you watch Mad Men?

GoBroncos22!

Postby GoBroncos22! » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:54 pm

lol, no I dont. Why?

Well shit, what am I supposed to do. I need this LOR but I dont want to bug him and piss him off. I have 2 already from Profs but really want one from basically the only job I have had, and I have been with him so long I think it would look good

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:55 pm

Definitely do NOT write the letter yourself. However, I think that it would be acceptable to provide the recommender with a bulleted list of things to touch upon. Especially if they're specifically asking for it - sometimes people just really have on idea how to even approach such a letter so giving a starting point could be helpful and also reduce the time involved.

ShuckingNotJiving

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:57 pm

You can do this:

GoBroncos22! wrote:Sorry, let me repharse that, he told me to write the major themes and bullet points then he would compile it and put his own touch on it. He just has very little time and this basically the only employer I can get a reference from

But don't just write the whole thing yourself and have him sign it.

On the last episode there was a similar situation. Have you slept with your boss? Just kidding. Don't answer that.

GoBroncos22!

Postby GoBroncos22! » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:00 pm

Hahaha. Ok thanks. I will do that

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:00 pm

ellewoods110 wrote:you really shouldn't write your own LOR. The schools will be able to detect the similar writing styles between your Personal Statement and the LOR. As well, its highly unethical. You should provide the writer with your resume, and bullet points that you would like them to cover, but you should not write your own LOR.

bah this has been covered so many times on here, its done ALL the time in the biz world 9and by law professors, two told me the same thing in LS), in fact its more common for you to write your won than it is not. Write a draft, give it to him, and have him emblish or edit as he sees fit, then send the final version in. Its also a gut wrenching experince to write these things, I've done it, told others to do it. 99% of the time people write good letters about themslves, better than I could, and they don't BS thier skills. I add my personal comments or change a few things, put my spin on it, but there is nothing unethical about writing an LOR draft then giving it to the person sending it in and having them make sure it says what they agree with then siging thier name to it. Writing your own letter and never passing it by the person, well that's diffrent.

GoBroncos22!

Postby GoBroncos22! » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:05 pm

Matthies wrote:
ellewoods110 wrote:you really shouldn't write your own LOR. The schools will be able to detect the similar writing styles between your Personal Statement and the LOR. As well, its highly unethical. You should provide the writer with your resume, and bullet points that you would like them to cover, but you should not write your own LOR.

bah this has been covered so many times on here, its done ALL the time in the biz world 9and by law professors, two told me the same thing in LS), in fact its more common for you to write your won than it is not. Write a draft, give it to him, and have him emblish or edit as he sees fit, then send the final version in. Its also a gut wrenching experince to write these things, I've done it, told others to do it. 99% of the time people write good letters about themslves, better than I could, and they don't BS thier skills. I add my personal comments or change a few things, put my spin on it, but there is nothing unethical about writing an LOR draft then giving it to the person sending it in and having them make sure it says what they agree with then siging thier name to it. Writing your own letter and never passing it by the person, well that's diffrent.

Thanks, Im gonna do something similar to that. Just curious, do law school boards actually verify these references? I can just see someone writing three stellar recommends from the state governor or senators. hahaha

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:10 pm

GoBroncos22! wrote:
Matthies wrote:

Thanks, Im gonna do something similar to that. Just curious, do law school boards actually verify these references? I can just see someone writing three stellar recommends from the state governor or senators. hahaha

I'm sure people do that. I don't remeber the procedure from when i applied but I think I had to give a fiorm to the recoemnder, that they had to sign and send with thier letter. Not sure how they do it now a days. I had a foruth backup recoemnder lined up for waitlists and such in advance (and ending up using it). The professor was nice enough to seal 10 copies each in an envelope and then sing her name across the back. If I got a waitlist or was sending an LOCI I'd drop one of these pre-written LORs with my materails.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”