Horror Story!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tooswolle

Horror Story!

Postby tooswolle » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:29 pm

So I have a friend who recently matriculated to law school. I was asking him a few questions trying to find out how it was like. We later discussed what school he is attending; turns out he is attending an unaccredited school. The worst part is this guy could have gotten in to a way better school. His stats were 158 lsat and a 3.4 LSAC gpa and he was a urm.... wow I am so glad I found out about TLS or I could have probably gone to a lower ranked school then I could have gotten in to with out knowing how admissions work. Anyways this thread is created to warn other people to do their research on what there chances are before they commit to a large amount of debt.

Knock

Re: Horror Story!

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:32 pm

tooswolle wrote:So I have a friend who recently matriculated to law school. I was asking him a few questions trying to find out how it was like. We later discussed what school he is attending; turns out he is attending an unaccredited school. The worst part is this guy could have gotten in to a way better school. His stats were 158 lsat and a 3.4 LSAC gpa and he was a urm.... wow I am so glad I found out about TLS or I could have probably gone to a lower ranked school then I could have gotten in to with out knowing how admissions work. Anyways this thread is created to warn other people to do their research on what there chances are before they commit to a large amount of debt.

If you've found this site, you're golden. I feel for the people who haven't yet though..

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:53 pm

Ive got to agree with you 100%, before this site I had no idea what a URM was nor the amount of help it can have on admissions. I had no clue about addendum heck even about preparing for the LSAT. Truly is a life saving site.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:55 pm

tooswolle wrote:Ive got to agree with you 100%, before this site I had no idea what a URM was nor the amount of help it can have on admissions. I had no clue about addendum heck even about preparing for the LSAT. Truly is a life saving site.

Yep, I highly doubt i'd be looking at attending a T-14 law school without this site. We just got to remember to give back when we are law students and practicing lawyers.

mpasi

Postby mpasi » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:56 pm

tooswolle wrote: Truly is a life saving site.

You won't think this a month from now.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:58 pm

mpasi wrote:
tooswolle wrote: Truly is a life saving site.

You won't think this a month from now.

Why is that?

Also, the downside of TLS is that it makes users way more anxious than if they didn't know about TLS :lol:.

takehold

Postby takehold » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:04 pm

^Quite true, I can attest as a recent joiner. Still, a wealth of information (if one can sift through to find pertinent advice) is never a bad thing.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:05 pm

takehold wrote:^Quite true, I can attest as a recent joiner. Still, a wealth of information (if one can sift through to find pertinent advice) is never a bad thing.

No doubt, it is definitely a net gain for most TLS users.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:20 pm

Now, I can't say I am going to T14, but I am so glad I found this site last cycle. My sister has a friend who is going to a T3 in a highly competitive city and I just wanted to scream at her not to go haha, esp. at sticker price.

Having said that, I take a lot of things with a grain of salt as well, cause I know a lot of people will hate on me.

It was great for my PS, thank you TLS haha

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:31 pm

The main thing TLS did for me was make me realize the opportunity difference between T14 and T2 schools.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:05 pm

Just don't venture to the lounge...

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:07 pm

tooswolle wrote:So I have a friend who recently matriculated to law school. I was asking him a few questions trying to find out how it was like. We later discussed what school he is attending; turns out he is attending an unaccredited school. The worst part is this guy could have gotten in to a way better school. His stats were 158 lsat and a 3.4 LSAC gpa and he was a urm.... wow I am so glad I found out about TLS or I could have probably gone to a lower ranked school then I could have gotten in to with out knowing how admissions work. Anyways this thread is created to warn other people to do their research on what there chances are before they commit to a large amount of debt.

I had a friend all set to go to a T4 at sticker. Showed him the site, and he quickly reconsidered.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:09 pm

Knockglock wrote:
tooswolle wrote:Ive got to agree with you 100%, before this site I had no idea what a URM was nor the amount of help it can have on admissions. I had no clue about addendum heck even about preparing for the LSAT. Truly is a life saving site.

Yep, I highly doubt i'd be looking at attending a T-14 law school without this site. We just got to remember to give back when we are law students and practicing lawyers.

Agreed. Before I found this site I was setting my sights at St. Thomas in Minnesota and USF.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:18 pm

Speaking of horror stories, I remember a news story a month or two ago about a girl who turned down her dream job at a charity or something or 50k/yr straight out of undergraduate, because she decided to go to Willamette University College of Law instead, which wavers back and forth between Tier 3 and Tier 4.

They were offering her a scholarship, but still...

Willamette, even if they deliver an amazing education, and I'm not saying they don't... but, unfortunately, the system is what it is, and a school like Willamette isn't going to open that many doors for anyone, sadly, no matter how excellent they might be. Rankings matter.

ShuckingNotJiving

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:51 pm

Knockglock wrote:

If you've found this site, you're golden. I feel for the people who haven't yet though..

If he's still your friend and still a URM (the "was" part made it a bit unclear) then you should refer him to the site, so it can help him possibly transfer. If you do, you might want to delete this thread. Or maybe not, shame is a really good motivator.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:14 am

I believe I may have akwardly phrased the line. We aren't close friends rather acquaintances who met through moot court (undergrad) I don't have the heart to tell him the truth nor am I in a position. Sadly the school isn't even state accredited and he's paying sticker. I guess it's a cautionary story for others.

ShuckingNotJiving

Postby ShuckingNotJiving » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:21 am

Ouch. That sucks for him then.

On the bright side, if he was ever an ass to you, you can enjoy the schadenfreude (joy in others' misery). I know I would.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:22 am

TLS made me withdraw my seat deposit and retake/reapply within a week or so of me finding it. I cannot say how much I owe to TLS before I have even submitted my first reapp.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:23 am

bk1 wrote:TLS made me withdraw my seat deposit and retake/reapply within a week or so of me finding it. I cannot say how much I owe to TLS before I have even submitted my first reapp.

Wow man, you truly due. Enjoy your T6 school :P. Where were you deposited at?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:25 am

This is just a symptom of the larger problem: many (most?) law school applicants are horribly, horribly ignorant of the application process, law school, and the legal field. I know this has been discussed in other threads, but I'm still in awe. You'd think people would put more effort and research into such a life-altering decision. But I guess that's the way it goes: survival of the fittest.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:30 am

Knockglock wrote:
takehold wrote:^Quite true, I can attest as a recent joiner. Still, a wealth of information (if one can sift through to find pertinent advice) is never a bad thing.

This. Anyone who is Jewish probably knows the Passover song Dayenu. If TLS had helped me get off the waitlist and into my school, but not introduced me to half my classmates, it would have been enough.

If it had introduced me to half my classmates, but not fabulous people at schools all over the country, it would have been enough.

If it had introduced me to fabulous people, but not helped me prep for exams, it would have been enough.

If it had helped me prep for exams, but not prepared me for OCI, it would have been enough.

The list goes on. If you stay on TLS as a 1L, there is so much to be gained.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:33 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

This. Anyone who is Jewish probably knows the Passover song Dayenu. If TLS had helped me get off the waitlist and into my school, but not introduced me to half my classmates, it would have been enough.

If it had introduced me to half my classmates, but not fabulous people at schools all over the country, it would have been enough.

If it had introduced me to fabulous people, but not helped me prep for exams, it would have been enough.

If it had helped me prep for exams, but not prepared me for OCI, it would have been enough.

The list goes on. If you stay on TLS as a 1L, there is so much to be gained.

Beautiful post. I completely agree. I'm planning on sticking around TLS for a while, and giving back as much as I can, as well as benefiting from the people who went before me. I also like that I can pretty much go to any decent sized city in the country and probably know at least a person or two, many who i'm sure who meet up and show me the town. It's a great networking tool. I'm sure we will have a great TLS network in the next few years and it will definitely be growing. If I was a hiring partner I would definitely give preference to a TLSer, all other things equal :D.

cynthia rose

Postby cynthia rose » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:44 am

This site is the best and worst thing that I could have found. Best because of all the information (regardless of what one has to wade through to get to it), though yes, one should take everything with a grain of salt. But it's the worst because a) I think I'm slowly turning into a mild prestige whore (my GPA sucks too hard to let this get too out of hand though, just means I have to try that much harder to be a legit splitter) and b) now when I hear/see people say/do stupid things it takes everything in me not to scream at them for being stupid, and it bugs the shit out of me.

I have a horror story similar to yours. I have an old friend from college. We're Facebook friends now and there, I found out she is about to graduate from a non-accredited school in her hometown. At first I was convinced her LSAT had to have been hot garbage, but now I think she just didn't know any better. You don't know how many times I've wanted to write "Retake. Reapply. Retake. Reapply. Retake. Reapply." on her wall. Not that it would do any good now since she has finished. I actually did not even know this school was not accredited - did not even know there WAS a such thing as an unaccredited law school - until I tried to find it on the USNWR list to see what tier it was in and didn't find it at all. Oh, how I underestimated the number of places that will create a law school just to say they have a law school. Sure, it IS her hometown; the school has regional accreditation at least, and the school name is known in the state. But despite being from the area, I'm concerned about what this will (not) do for her. It just makes no damn sense. We went to UG together (an hour away from her hometown); for the life of me I cannot figure out why she didn't just go to the law school there. There's also a decent T3 in the area. Or maybe she did apply to both and got denied. Who knows.

The other thing that drives me crazy is, now being in the DC area, the number of people who think Georgetown is a top 10, top 5, or even top 3 school. (HY...G???) That one, I have been quick to politely correct someone on while mentioning, "Well, actually they're number 14. Still really good." Not knocking G'Town but really, hearing someone say that now is simultaneously grating and laughable. There is no shame in being T14 but I can't believe someone actually said they thought Georgetown was top 3. I just can't. And these are people who want to go to law school saying these things! You would think they know better. I should probably tell them about TLS but I honestly think they might not be ready.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:50 am

Word. My best friend went to law school 2 years ahead of me. He was 3.5/173, and went to the local T3 with just minimal $...just never bothered applying anywhere good, because he assumed he couldn't get in. Decisions w/o information = bad.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:52 am

cynthia rose wrote:This site is the best and worst thing that I could have found. Best because of all the information (regardless of what one has to wade through to get to it), though yes, one should take everything with a grain of salt. But it's the worst because a) I think I'm slowly turning into a mild prestige whore (my GPA sucks too hard to let this get too out of hand though, just means I have to try that much harder to be a legit splitter) and b) now when I hear/see people say/do stupid things it takes everything in me not to scream at them for being stupid, and it bugs the shit out of me.

I have a horror story similar to yours. I have an old friend from college. We're Facebook friends now and there, I found out she is about to graduate from a non-accredited school in her hometown. At first I was convinced her LSAT had to have been hot garbage, but now I think she just didn't know any better. You don't know how many times I've wanted to write "Retake. Reapply. Retake. Reapply. Retake. Reapply." on her wall. Not that it would do any good now since she has finished. I actually did not even know this school was not accredited - did not even know there WAS a such thing as an unaccredited law school - until I tried to find it on the USNWR list to see what tier it was in and didn't find it at all. Oh, how I underestimated the number of places that will create a law school just to say they have a law school. Sure, it IS her hometown; the school has regional accreditation at least, and the school name is known in the state. But despite being from the area, I'm concerned about what this will (not) do for her. It just makes no damn sense. We went to UG together (an hour away from her hometown); for the life of me I cannot figure out why she didn't just go to the law school there. There's also a decent T3 in the area. Or maybe she did apply to both and got denied. Who knows.

The other thing that drives me crazy is, now being in the DC area, the number of people who think Georgetown is a top 10, top 5, or even top 3 school. (HY...G???) That one, I have been quick to politely correct someone on while mentioning, "Well, actually they're number 14. Still really good." Not knocking G'Town but really, hearing someone say that now is simultaneously grating and laughable. There is no shame in being T14 but I can't believe someone actually said they thought Georgetown was top 3. I just can't. And these are people who want to go to law school saying these things! You would think they know better. I should probably tell them about TLS but I honestly think they might not be ready.

I lol'd. You need to show them the light :P. But I think you're right, I have some friends i'm not sure if I should show them TLS. I probably should but I don't if they're ready for the real-ness you get on TLS. It's just hard when everyone else throws so much bs and blows so much smoke, do I want to show people how it really is?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”