Resume Formatting Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Vol de mort

New

Resume Formatting

Post by Vol de mort » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:19 pm

Hey this might be answered somewhere else but I have Ann Ivey's book on law school admissions and she says that when your apps, including resumes, are downloaded from LSAC that they come as just a huge block of text. The book is a few years old but I'm wondering if that's changed. Anyone know?

I'm wondering because if the formatting gets junked up when they download it then obviously that's going to effect how I polish up my resume...

angiej

Silver

Re: Resume Formatting

Post by angiej » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:27 pm

Can it be converted to PDF to preserve formatting and submit the PDF?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:32 pm

When you upload documents (resume, personal statement, etc...) to LSAC they are converted to PDF for you. The formatting is largely preserved, but it is not 100%. I had to try a few changes (to margins etc..) to get it to convert in the way I wanted. You should format your resume the way you like it and then try uploading it as an attachment to an application.

Vol de mort

New

Post by Vol de mort » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Makes sense, thanks for the help.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:29 am

bdubs wrote:When you upload documents (resume, personal statement, etc...) to LSAC they are converted to PDF for you. The formatting is largely preserved, but it is not 100%. I had to try a few changes (to margins etc..) to get it to convert in the way I wanted. You should format your resume the way you like it and then try uploading it as an attachment to an application.
I've uploaded a resume as an attachment but I'm not able to view it - do I actually have to submit the app and checkout?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

I don't remember exactly what your press but their is a preliminary submit button that generates a preview that you can look through before you submit again for official submission, which therefore offers you the opportunity to peruse your application before it is sent to the respective school.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:41 am

angiej wrote:I've uploaded a resume as an attachment but I'm not able to view it - do I actually have to submit the app and checkout?
You have to go through the submission process, but you don't have to check out. Your app won't be submitted until you pay so you should still be good.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:45 am

bdubs wrote:
angiej wrote:I've uploaded a resume as an attachment but I'm not able to view it - do I actually have to submit the app and checkout?
You have to go through the submission process, but you don't have to check out. Your app won't be submitted until you pay so you should still be good.
Got it - it worked (and formatting was preserved!) Yay!

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”