Resume Formatting

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Vol de mort
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:08 pm

Resume Formatting

Postby Vol de mort » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:19 pm

Hey this might be answered somewhere else but I have Ann Ivey's book on law school admissions and she says that when your apps, including resumes, are downloaded from LSAC that they come as just a huge block of text. The book is a few years old but I'm wondering if that's changed. Anyone know?

I'm wondering because if the formatting gets junked up when they download it then obviously that's going to effect how I polish up my resume...

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: Resume Formatting

Postby angiej » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:27 pm

Can it be converted to PDF to preserve formatting and submit the PDF?

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Resume Formatting

Postby bdubs » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:32 pm

When you upload documents (resume, personal statement, etc...) to LSAC they are converted to PDF for you. The formatting is largely preserved, but it is not 100%. I had to try a few changes (to margins etc..) to get it to convert in the way I wanted. You should format your resume the way you like it and then try uploading it as an attachment to an application.

Vol de mort
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:08 pm

Re: Resume Formatting

Postby Vol de mort » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Makes sense, thanks for the help.

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: Resume Formatting

Postby angiej » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:29 am

bdubs wrote:When you upload documents (resume, personal statement, etc...) to LSAC they are converted to PDF for you. The formatting is largely preserved, but it is not 100%. I had to try a few changes (to margins etc..) to get it to convert in the way I wanted. You should format your resume the way you like it and then try uploading it as an attachment to an application.


I've uploaded a resume as an attachment but I'm not able to view it - do I actually have to submit the app and checkout?

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Resume Formatting

Postby booboo » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

I don't remember exactly what your press but their is a preliminary submit button that generates a preview that you can look through before you submit again for official submission, which therefore offers you the opportunity to peruse your application before it is sent to the respective school.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Resume Formatting

Postby bdubs » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:41 am

angiej wrote:I've uploaded a resume as an attachment but I'm not able to view it - do I actually have to submit the app and checkout?


You have to go through the submission process, but you don't have to check out. Your app won't be submitted until you pay so you should still be good.

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: Resume Formatting

Postby angiej » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:45 am

bdubs wrote:
angiej wrote:I've uploaded a resume as an attachment but I'm not able to view it - do I actually have to submit the app and checkout?


You have to go through the submission process, but you don't have to check out. Your app won't be submitted until you pay so you should still be good.


Got it - it worked (and formatting was preserved!) Yay!

Thanks!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests