Retaking in October -- when to submit?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cyxdev17

Retaking in October -- when to submit?

Postby cyxdev17 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:25 pm

I have a June score that is around the medians of some of the schools I'll be applying to. It's also at the 25% (or a point below) at some other schools. Would it help me at all to submit before I get my October score? Will they see that I have an upcoming LSAT and ignore my application, or is it possible that they'll make a final decision regardless? I would feel bad if I waited until the end of October to submit, although I realize that's not exactly "late" in the process.

Knock

Re: Retaking in October -- when to submit?

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:27 pm

cyxdev17 wrote:I have a June score that is around the medians of some of the schools I'll be applying to. It's also at the 25% (or a point below) at some other schools. Would it help me at all to submit before I get my October score? Will they see that I have an upcoming LSAT and ignore my application, or is it possible that they'll make a final decision regardless? I would feel bad if I waited until the end of October to submit, although I realize that's not exactly "late" in the process.

Yes, on your application there is a box for marking when you are planning on taking an upcoming LSAT, if any, and they will hold off making a decision on your application, and probably even reviewing it, until you get the new score in. Submit your applications before you take the Oct. LSAT.

Ship87

Postby Ship87 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:39 pm

Does it matter if you submit before or after you take your October LSAT? If they're going to review it once the new score comes in, I don't think its particularly important as long as you submit it a couple weeks before the new score becomes available. I'm not sure that an earlier application is worth even a few LSAT points higher

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:50 pm

Ship87 wrote:Does it matter if you submit before or after you take your October LSAT? If they're going to review it once the new score comes in, I don't think its particularly important as long as you submit it a couple weeks before the new score becomes available. I'm not sure that an earlier application is worth even a few LSAT points higher

Tagging this post because I am facing the same issues for the 2011 cycle.

mlsdreamer

Postby mlsdreamer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:57 pm

Tagging this post because I am facing the same issues for the 2011 cycle.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:30 pm

Ship87 wrote:Does it matter if you submit before or after you take your October LSAT? If they're going to review it once the new score comes in, I don't think its particularly important as long as you submit it a couple weeks before the new score becomes available. I'm not sure that an earlier application is worth even a few LSAT points higher

No it doesn't really matter I don't think, but it is just a good idea to have everything done and sent in, the idea being you are 100% completely ready to go and the last thing you need is your LSAT score.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:14 am

I'm also facing this issue. I don't really know if I should submit my applications when I am re-taking in October. I was thinking I could have my PS, LoRs and everything online and ready to go, then start throwing applications out as soon as scores are in. That'd still have my applications in at the very beginning of November...

merc280

Postby merc280 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:47 am

I figure its probably easier to just have everything in, since that's what a few admissions people told me, but since I think I might apply to all schools with a spring admission I should have everything in before Oct 1.

samolly

Postby samolly » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:26 pm

I'm afraid they wil review my file and chuck it before they see my awesome new LSAT score.

cyxdev17

Postby cyxdev17 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:54 pm

samolly wrote:I'm afraid they wil review my file and chuck it before they see my awesome new LSAT score.

Amen. I'm also afraid they'll accept me and not give me a scholarship that I could've gotten with my new score. Unless that's not how it works and you can negotiate your scholarships after you see where you've gotten in? Not sure.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”