Recommendation from non-academic source Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
eastwind

New

Recommendation from non-academic source

Post by eastwind » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:42 am

Hello, people!

I am trying to find a non-academic recommendation. Currently, i am involved in a philosophy group out of school. I am currently working. This philosophy "group" i am in is lead by a Stanford professor. I am wondering if i should ask him to write me a recommendation. Given that we meet at an non-academic setting, i am hoping he would do me this favor. What do you people think? How should i ask him?

Knock

Platinum

Re: Recommendation from non-academic source

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:41 pm

eastwind wrote:Hello, people!

I am trying to find a non-academic recommendation. Currently, i am involved in a philosophy group out of school. I am currently working. This philosophy "group" i am in is lead by a Stanford professor. I am wondering if i should ask him to write me a recommendation. Given that we meet at an non-academic setting, i am hoping he would do me this favor. What do you people think? How should i ask him?
Go for it. Just make sure you have at least 1 academic recommendation, and preferably 2.

Just chat him up one on one, maybe slip in a "Oh you teach at Stanford? that's my top choice for law school!" and see what his/her reaction is. If it's strong like a "Oh it's great, I love Stanford, you should definitely apply" or something like that, then ask him/her if he/she could "be willing to write you a positive letter of recommendation."

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”