please school me on LORs

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ultrafl1ght

please school me on LORs

Postby ultrafl1ght » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:54 pm

I am looking to ask professors for LORs soon for the upcoming app cycle. I know to the extent that the LORs are sent to LSAC and then sent to law schools from there. Can someone elaborate this process, what if I want certain LOR sent to certain schools?
I'm wondering under what circumstances should ask for specific/tailored letters or a generic one? (any minuses for a generic LOR?)
Also, my main question is to whom should I ask my profs to address the LORs if it is generic, and how they would mention it in the letter? (ex: "I believe 'xyz' would be a great addition to your law school" ???)

Thanks in advance for your help and input!

Dany

Re: please school me on LORs

Postby Dany » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:05 pm

ultrafl1ght wrote:I am looking to ask professors for LORs soon for the upcoming app cycle. I know to the extent that the LORs are sent to LSAC and then sent to law schools from there. Can someone elaborate this process, what if I want certain LOR sent to certain schools?
I'm wondering under what circumstances should ask for specific/tailored letters or a generic one? (any minuses for a generic LOR?)
Also, my main question is to whom should I ask my profs to address the LORs if it is generic, and how they would mention it in the letter? (ex: "I believe 'xyz' would be a great addition to your law school" ???)

Use the Search Forum feature at the bottom of the page; you'll be able to find all the information you need and it will be much more comprehensive than the one or two replies you'll get on this thread.

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:08 pm

Yeah you can pick which LORs go to each schools. You can ask for targeted letters from alumni from what I understand. Thats what I did at least. If you have to explain to a professor how to write a letter for LS then I probably wouldn't bother with that particular professor. If not, you can google LOR guides.

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:09 pm

eskimo wrote:
ultrafl1ght wrote:I am looking to ask professors for LORs soon for the upcoming app cycle. I know to the extent that the LORs are sent to LSAC and then sent to law schools from there. Can someone elaborate this process, what if I want certain LOR sent to certain schools?

Use the Search Forum feature at the bottom of the page; you'll be able to find all the information you need and it will be much more comprehensive than the one or two replies you'll get on this thread.

Fine, I didn't want to help anyways. haha

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:13 pm

Well, I just usually find that looking through previous threads yields TONS of great info. :D

Also, here's a great TLS article to get you started, ultrafl1ght!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/letters- ... ation.html

ultrafl1ght

Postby ultrafl1ght » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:47 pm

Wow, I totally missed the LOR advice thread...haha. Thanks for both your help!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”