Should I Retake? Poll Added

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Retake?

Retake
32%
Don't Retake
68%

Total votes: 47

d34d9823

Re: Should I Retake? Poll Added

Postby d34d9823 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:49 pm

eskimo wrote:
Marionberry wrote:Hey Knock,

Do you remember the 18 days between June 7 and June 25? That is all.

All the best,
Marionberry & Eskimo

:D

This

ml1212

Postby ml1212 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:53 pm

You love stanford? you have good reasons for it? you have a solid gpa, good softs, and you solid low 170s score?

A school like stanford is using numbers as a way to justifying kids they don't want. They will deny kids with higher lsat score than you. Give them a story, play up the strengths and the reasons why you truly belong at Stanford. It ain't all numbers and if you could really give them and your LORs pushing you towards Standford, they might appreciate that more than an 3 pt increase. Good luck, it is a tough choice I have also grappled with.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:55 pm

Seriously, though, I think you're in at Harvard and have a great shot at Stanford and Yale. Stanford and Yale really value polished writing, so I would make sure that's good to go first. After that, though, it can't hurt you. You were putting down 178-180s practicing for your first time around and test day nerves gets everyone the first time. I have a hard time seeing you do less than 175 on a second try. If it were me, I would do it just for the better shot at Yale and Stanford.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:56 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:Seriously, though, I think you're in at Harvard and have a great shot at Stanford and Yale. Stanford and Yale really value polished writing, so I would make sure that's good to go first. After that, though, it can't hurt you. You were putting down 178-180s practicing for your first time around and test day nerves gets everyone the first time. I have a hard time seeing you do less than 175 on a second try. If it were me, I would do it just for the better shot at Yale and Stanford.

Even though I know what your name says now, I still see "d2t35ulk5iuder236t."

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:59 pm

ml1212 wrote:You love stanford? you have good reasons for it? you have a solid gpa, good softs, and you solid low 170s score?

A school like stanford is using numbers as a way to justifying kids they don't want. They will deny kids with higher lsat score than you. Give them a story, play up the strengths and the reasons why you truly belong at Stanford. It ain't all numbers and if you could really give them and your LORs pushing you towards Standford, they might appreciate that more than an 3 pt increase. Good luck, it is a tough choice I have also grappled with.

I love Stanford, have decent reasons for it (love the small class size, loved the vibe when I visited, love the area, and I am a native Californian who wants to practice in CA; not sure if these are good enough).

None of my application is tailored to Stanford in anyway. Neither of my recommenders has any ties with Stanford. How can I play up why I belong at Stanford?

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:00 am

d34dluk3 wrote:Seriously, though, I think you're in at Harvard and have a great shot at Stanford and Yale. Stanford and Yale really value polished writing, so I would make sure that's good to go first. After that, though, it can't hurt you. You were putting down 178-180s practicing for your first time around and test day nerves gets everyone the first time. I have a hard time seeing you do less than 175 on a second try. If it were me, I would do it just for the better shot at Yale and Stanford.

Yeah, thanks for the advice man. Got to get those essays in tip top polished shape before I send them in. When we were comparing answers I totally thought we had a similar score lol. Turns out we did in LR at least :P, not so much elsewhere :x. But thanks again, I appreciate it.

ml1212

Postby ml1212 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:03 am

You should ask one of your recommender's to do a Stanford specific LOR and send that to Stanford. It should include the investigation for the programs there and why you are fit for those programs and what you can offer to them. You to do some research and market yourself beyond straight numbers. Why is Stanford unique to you beside the admit bulletpoints you can see on the perspective student site?

I mean don't make it sugary and they will know if its not authentic, but if you can do that well...that could ultimately mean a great deal

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:10 am

ml1212 wrote:You should ask one of your recommender's to do a Stanford specific LOR and send that to Stanford. It should include the investigation for the programs there and why you are fit for those programs and what you can offer to them. You to do some research and market yourself beyond straight numbers. Why is Stanford unique to you beside the admit bulletpoints you can see on the perspective student site?

I mean don't make it sugary and they will know if its not authentic, but if you can do that well...that could ultimately mean a great deal

Hmm, I think I can do that. One of my LOR writers was willing to do that. I kind of wanted to do both or neither, but I guess it makes sense to do one.

Any tips on investigating the programs and explaining why Stanford is unique to me besides the stuff I can find on the website? that was kind of what was stopping myself from doing targeted letters in the first place. All I can get really is just stuff from searching around on the internet, I don't know any SLS grads

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:13 am

eskimo wrote:PS: You're getting into H. Higher LSAT won't affect S. Y is a crapshoot.

You can laugh at me languishing at lowly CCN a year from now. Don't stress yourself with a retake, bud.

Pfffft, you will be living it up in Chi-town, probably sitting courtside at the Bulls, sipping some pina coladas on the beach during the summer, and freezing your ass off wishing you were joining me in California during the winter (which is most of the year anyways :P).

CapHillLove

Postby CapHillLove » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:37 am

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”