UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:05 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:Hmmm...more and more Penn is looking like my option number one (depending on my October LSATs) over CLS/NYU or any of my other choices.

I WILL be writing a Why UPenn that has to do with 3 options I see there (double masters MES, MBE, or international business at Sciences Po in Paris) and linking it to my research background and my background in French. The issue arises with the five year plan and the diversity statements (not sure what I will do)...because I see myself in all three, and will be telling them that, I was wondering how I should approach the 5-year...

Is it too jumbled to do sort of a branching thesis, where I talk about making an impact, and then describing what I see myself doing with those three degrees. Would it also be stupid (them reading it and saying hell, finish 1L first)? Should I make it more general (talking about maybe seeing myself in litigation and arbitration for indigent type communities, whether that be health, trade, regulation or the environment) or narrative, choosing one and really describing it?


You only get one double-spaced page so you might want to keep it simple.

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby Mike12188 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:35 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:Hmmm...more and more Penn is looking like my option number one (depending on my October LSATs) over CLS/NYU or any of my other choices.

I WILL be writing a Why UPenn that has to do with 3 options I see there (double masters MES, MBE, or international business at Sciences Po in Paris) and linking it to my research background and my background in French. The issue arises with the five year plan and the diversity statements (not sure what I will do)...because I see myself in all three, and will be telling them that, I was wondering how I should approach the 5-year...

Is it too jumbled to do sort of a branching thesis, where I talk about making an impact, and then describing what I see myself doing with those three degrees. Would it also be stupid (them reading it and saying hell, finish 1L first)? Should I make it more general (talking about maybe seeing myself in litigation and arbitration for indigent type communities, whether that be health, trade, regulation or the environment) or narrative, choosing one and really describing it?


I'm confused when you say your writing a Why UPenn essay do you mean a personal statement custom tailored to UPenn or in addition to your PS, from what I saw Why UPenn is not an option for the supplemental essays.

ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby ajmanyjah » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:13 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote:Hmmm...more and more Penn is looking like my option number one (depending on my October LSATs) over CLS/NYU or any of my other choices.

I WILL be writing a Why UPenn that has to do with 3 options I see there (double masters MES, MBE, or international business at Sciences Po in Paris) and linking it to my research background and my background in French. The issue arises with the five year plan and the diversity statements (not sure what I will do)...because I see myself in all three, and will be telling them that, I was wondering how I should approach the 5-year...

Is it too jumbled to do sort of a branching thesis, where I talk about making an impact, and then describing what I see myself doing with those three degrees. Would it also be stupid (them reading it and saying hell, finish 1L first)? Should I make it more general (talking about maybe seeing myself in litigation and arbitration for indigent type communities, whether that be health, trade, regulation or the environment) or narrative, choosing one and really describing it?


I'm confused when you say your writing a Why UPenn essay do you mean a personal statement custom tailored to UPenn or in addition to your PS, from what I saw Why UPenn is not an option for the supplemental essays.


No I'm just throwing it in, because I have a million reasons for why upenn

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby Dany » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:34 am

I'm doing one, maaaaaybe two.

But probably one.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby Hannibal » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:59 am

I guess we should write these like mini-PSes, with a beginning and theme and wrapping conclusion and all?

User avatar
MY2010
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:37 am

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby MY2010 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:22 am

vent: UGH these questions are freaking tough
and i know it's not necessary but WHY do i feel the pressure to WRITE ALL THREE?

phew, thanks.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby Hannibal » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:31 am

After working on it for two hours, I have a whopping two sentences! I AM SO AWESOME.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:35 am

Writing supplemental essays with which I am satisfied is proving more difficult than I expected.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:35 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Writing supplemental essays with which I am satisfied is proving more difficult than I expected.


Ditto.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby kazu » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:41 am

acrossthelake wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Writing supplemental essays with which I am satisfied is proving more difficult than I expected.


Ditto.


Same here.......

User avatar
afcanoe
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby afcanoe » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:51 am

kazu wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Writing supplemental essays with which I am satisfied is proving more difficult than I expected.


Ditto.


Same here.......


Me too. At least Michigan is a little more flexible with length. I feel comfortable sending them a supplemental that goes about a paragraph over one page.

User avatar
clevinger33
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 11:48 am

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby clevinger33 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:55 am

Hannibal wrote:I guess we should write these like mini-PSes, with a beginning and theme and wrapping conclusion and all?


Didn't you graduate from this type of formulaic writing back in eighth grade? Just write something good.

User avatar
JohnBoy
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby JohnBoy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:08 am

Someone earlier stated they did not read fiction and would not be able to write about the influential work prompt. However, it says literature in general and does not specify between fiction and nonfiction (from what I can see). Does anyone know otherwise?

User avatar
MY2010
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:37 am

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby MY2010 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:18 am

JohnBoy wrote:Someone earlier stated they did not read fiction and would not be able to write about the influential work prompt. However, it says literature in general and does not specify between fiction and nonfiction (from what I can see). Does anyone know otherwise?


Doesn't have to be fiction.

User avatar
cynthia rose
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:42 pm

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby cynthia rose » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:41 pm

"How will your legal education and professional development at Penn Law support your five year plan upon graduation?"

A: NY to 190!

/essay

No, just kidding. I just won't be doing that essay.

If I do really, really well on the LSAT Penn will be one of my reaches. I'm actually really excited about the art/literature essay, because it gives me the perfect opportunity to talk about something that I wanted to mention but was not able to sufficiently tie in to either a PS or DS idea. My problem however is that I have the theme for each essay I want to write in my head perfectly, and even have parts of them written in my head already; but I know as soon as I sit down to actually type the entire essay for each one, my brain will immediately freeze.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby kazu » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:15 pm

cynthia rose wrote:My problem however is that I have the theme for each essay I want to write in my head perfectly, and even have parts of them written in my head already; but I know as soon as I sit down to actually type the entire essay for each one, my brain will immediately freeze.


Me too... and for this reason (or excuse) I can't bring myself to get started. I've been doing to avoidance dance for nearly 2 months now... and now I don't have much time left :cry:

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby johnnyutah » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:17 pm

acrossthelake wrote:I can't write about art/literature because I don't really view art or read fiction(I read a lot of nonfiction, just not fiction) and absolutely nothing in that area has inspired me at all.

Just go read The Waste Land real quick and make something up.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:23 pm

JohnBoy wrote:Someone earlier stated they did not read fiction and would not be able to write about the influential work prompt. However, it says literature in general and does not specify between fiction and nonfiction (from what I can see). Does anyone know otherwise?


I'm working under the assumption that literature encompasses more than just fiction, since the work I'm choosing is non-fiction.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby Hannibal » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:32 pm

I'm finding it very difficult to talk about how important an obscure book is to me while also making the essay about my desire to go to law school all in one page.

If anyone wants to swap email me at Hannibal222@gmail.com

User avatar
JohnBoy
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby JohnBoy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:35 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I'm working under the assumption that literature encompasses more than just fiction, since the work I'm choosing is non-fiction.


Personally, I think it would be too difficult to write about non-fiction and sound sincere.

4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby 4102011 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:36 pm

I'm taking liberties with the definition of "literature," but I'm hoping that's okay because they probably get a million essays about How to Kill a Mockingbird or something like that every year.

Or they could just think I'm ridiculous and reject me as soon as they see it. We'll see.

User avatar
OrdinarilySkilled
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:22 am

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:40 pm

1. Pick any famous painting/classical composition
2. Use phrases like "seamless precision" "divine inspiration" and "determined focus"
3. Look classy
4. Still have your app depend on your numbers.
5. Sad face.

xqhp82
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby xqhp82 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:11 pm

a possibly stupid question: is it ok if I don't mention "five year" in the five-year plan essay? I have a very general idea of what i would like to do in the future but not necessarily 5 years upon graduation. and to make it exactly 5 years just seem very awkward.....do you guys write out what you will be doing1st yr/2nd yr etc. upon graduation or can it be very general?

User avatar
JohnBoy
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby JohnBoy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:04 pm

xqhp82 wrote:a possibly stupid question: is it ok if I don't mention "five year" in the five-year plan essay? I have a very general idea of what i would like to do in the future but not necessarily 5 years upon graduation. and to make it exactly 5 years just seem very awkward.....do you guys write out what you will be doing1st yr/2nd yr etc. upon graduation or can it be very general?


I'm sure it can be either/or. I imagine it would be quite difficult to get exact with this essay. There are too many variables to get specific. I'm sure they realize that.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Postby Dany » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:12 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:1. Pick any famous painting/classical composition
2. Use phrases like "seamless precision" "divine inspiration" and "determined focus"
3. Look classy
4. Still have your app depend on your numbers.
5. Sad face.

<3




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests