UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
richardhelms

New

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Post by richardhelms » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:19 am

Anyone decide if they're going early decision at Penn yet?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:40 am

richardhelms wrote:Anyone decide if they're going early decision at Penn yet?
I'm not; I won't be ED'ing anywhere, just because I'd like to consider scholarships, and I will want to visit quite a few schools before making a decision.

What about you?

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:28 pm

I'm heavily considering it. I like Penn a lot and would be happy there, I think. Still, ED is a bit of a commitment.

richardhelms

New

Post by richardhelms » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:37 pm

czelede wrote:
I'm heavily considering it. I like Penn a lot and would be happy there, I think. Still, ED is a bit of a commitment.
I'm in the same predicament. However, it's looking more likely that Penn will be an ED application. Bored out of my mind watching re-runs of It's Always Sunny doesn't help one stay objective. :-p

Rik Smits

New

Post by Rik Smits » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:54 pm

Where are the supplemental essay topics located? I may very well be an idiot, but I can't find them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:58 pm

How wide reaching is "diversity"? Would, say, growing up poor/living alone since 17 years old count as diverse?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:02 pm

Rik Smits wrote:Where are the supplemental essay topics located? I may very well be an idiot, but I can't find them.
On the application... I don't remember what page.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:04 pm

Ildeuce wrote:How wide reaching is "diversity"? Would, say, growing up poor/living alone since 17 years old count as diverse?
Of course. Really, almost anything* can work if you write really well about it.

*Obviously there are lots of stupid things that do not work for a diversity statement, but I mean that many different life factors will suffice as a starting point, and after that it's all about how it's written.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:06 pm

Ildeuce wrote:How wide reaching is "diversity"? Would, say, growing up poor/living alone since 17 years old count as diverse?
I'd think yes? It depends on how you write it (like all things), if you connect it to how that background enables you to add diversity to the law school classroom I think it could work...

I really wish Penn didn't require supplemental essays... seriously feel like I might not apply now :evil:

(just joking of course I'll apply. love you Penn <3)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rik Smits

New

Post by Rik Smits » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:08 pm

eskimo wrote:
Rik Smits wrote:Where are the supplemental essay topics located? I may very well be an idiot, but I can't find them.
On the application... I don't remember what page.
Found it, thanks.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:54 pm

They just want you to convince them that you're cool. Write about anything, just keep your objective in mind.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:00 pm

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:03 pm

acrossthelake wrote:So...advice needed if anyone wants to offer it.

I'm having problems with the supplemental essays as such:

My all-purpose personal statement, which I rather like, is a more complicated take on a diversity statement. It's 2 pages long and loses much of its value if you cut it down to 1 page (as the supplemental essay requires).

However, if I use it, then I can't really write an additional diversity statement(that would be redundant). I can't write about art/literature because I don't really view art or read fiction(I read a lot of nonfiction, just not fiction) and absolutely nothing in that area has inspired me at all. I tried to write the 5 year plan essay, but it really doesn't work because I don't have a 5 year plan. I'm young and going straight through from undergrad--I don't really know what area of law I want to go into or what I want to do with it. I'm hoping to figure that out while in law school, so currently my plan for my 5 years after law school are "I'll have graduated from law school, hopefully be working, and not living in a cardboard box."

My original idea was to write a new personal statement for UPenn, but in comparing the one I've written to my other all-purpose one it's a lot weaker. I really encapsulated a lot of who I was in the other all-purpose one and this is meager by comparison--it's like comparing a professional pic you might take for senior photos to a picture taken on a 2002 camera phone in bad lighting. Additionally, my cut down version of my all-purpose to fit the diversity statement is such a shallow version of the full one it's pathetic. Not sure what to do. :(
I'd write the 5 year plan. Don't think of it as THE 5 year plan, think of it as A 5 year plan. What is one career path you are potentially interested in, and how will Penn help you meet this? Don't think of it as your committing now :) -- think of it as you're doing some research towards a particular goal. It's always a good thing to do some thinking about your future and goals too no matter what.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:16 pm

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:19 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
I'd write the 5 year plan. Don't think of it as THE 5 year plan, think of it as A 5 year plan. What is one career path you are potentially interested in, and how will Penn help you meet this? Don't think of it as your committing now :) -- think of it as you're doing some research towards a particular goal. It's always a good thing to do some thinking about your future and goals too no matter what.
I can't think of any. Blahhhh. Thanks, though.
Public Interest/Non-profit
Associate in a law firm partner track
Associate in a law Firm non-partner track
lateral to an in-house position
Law professor
Own a business
Prosecutor
Defense Attorney
Public defender Attorney
Government work
Politics
Entertainment Law
Sports Law
Housing/unfair housing/housing discrimination law
Wills, Trusts, Estate Planning
Tax Law
IP Law
Commissioner/Judge
TLS editor-in-chief
Becoming my sugar momma
Last edited by Knock on Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:20 pm

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:21 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
I can't think of any. Blahhhh. Thanks, though.
Public Interest/Non-profit
Associate in a law Firm Partner track
Associate in a law Firm non-partner track
lateral to an in-house position
Law professor
Own a business
Politics
Becoming my sugar momma
Hahaha. :lol:
I added some, and i'll take that as a yes :).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:29 pm

P. Bateman

New

Post by P. Bateman » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:44 pm

Last edited by P. Bateman on Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaveBear07

Bronze

Post by DaveBear07 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:51 pm

How long do these essays need to be? If I missed this information somewhere I apologize, fellow applicants.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:54 pm

DaveBear07 wrote:How long do these essays need to be? If I missed this information somewhere I apologize, fellow applicants.
One page double-spaced max.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DaveBear07

Bronze

Post by DaveBear07 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:59 pm

Sweet. Thanks bro.

ajmanyjah

Bronze

Post by ajmanyjah » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:17 am

Hmmm...more and more Penn is looking like my option number one (depending on my October LSATs) over CLS/NYU or any of my other choices.

I WILL be writing a Why UPenn that has to do with 3 options I see there (double masters MES, MBE, or international business at Sciences Po in Paris) and linking it to my research background and my background in French. The issue arises with the five year plan and the diversity statements (not sure what I will do)...because I see myself in all three, and will be telling them that, I was wondering how I should approach the 5-year...

Is it too jumbled to do sort of a branching thesis, where I talk about making an impact, and then describing what I see myself doing with those three degrees. Would it also be stupid (them reading it and saying hell, finish 1L first)? Should I make it more general (talking about maybe seeing myself in litigation and arbitration for indigent type communities, whether that be health, trade, regulation or the environment) or narrative, choosing one and really describing it?

P. Bateman

New

Post by P. Bateman » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:46 am

Penn is a great school, but I don't think it would be a good move to pass up Columbia/NYU over Penn (if Penn gave you no $$$) ITE. That is, if Biglaw is what you are going for.

ajmanyjah

Bronze

Post by ajmanyjah » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:58 am

P. Bateman wrote:Penn is a great school, but I don't think it would be a good move to pass up Columbia/NYU over Penn (if Penn gave you no $$$) ITE. That is, if Biglaw is what you are going for.
It isn't. While I won't say I am going to unequivocally turn down BigLaw salaries, I'd much rather work in midtier firms that I've seen (that still pay the six figures, but are more cleint based IMO) and also I have an interest in dual degree and overseas work, clerkships, non-profit work, and academia

I guess we will see when the LSAT pops out what the overall strategy will be (if I do ED anywhere, and where and whether I shoot one out to Yale and pray or add some more lower T1/high T2 schools)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”