UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kazu

Gold

Re: UPenn Supplemental Essays 2010

Post by kazu » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:57 am

eskimo wrote:
OrdinarilySkilled wrote:1. Pick any famous painting/classical composition
2. Use phrases like "seamless precision" "divine inspiration" and "determined focus"
3. Look classy
4. Still have your app depend on your numbers.
5. Sad face.
<3
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

silly101

Bronze

Post by silly101 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:00 am

for art/literature-does that include a musical piece?
any thoughts in general about art/literature? i dont know enough literature, so im looking at the art part
if music-it would be a more abstract essay im guessing

JohnBoy

Bronze

Post by JohnBoy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:21 am

silly101 wrote:for art/literature-does that include a musical piece?
any thoughts in general about art/literature? i dont know enough literature, so im looking at the art part
The term art can apply to just about anything these days. I'm not exactly sure how you can convince someone a four minute song pushed you towards law school. If you can support it properly, I'm sure it can work.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:40 am

Okay; I think I've got it! I'm doing art/literature on a piece of fiction, and a "5 year plan" that's not specific. The idea for the 5-year-plan came to me during one of my interview answers, haha.

silly101

Bronze

Post by silly101 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:57 pm

JohnBoy wrote:
silly101 wrote:for art/literature-does that include a musical piece?
The term art can apply to just about anything these days. I'm not exactly sure how you can convince someone a four minute song pushed you towards law school. If you can support it properly, I'm sure it can work.
if you dont pick literature, how do ppl use art as a push to law school? are they giving you the option of a painting?
i suppose learning the piano piece is one way to approach music (again creative license)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

silly101

Bronze

Post by silly101 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:59 am

anyone want to swap the 5-year one?

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:11 am

I've written a personal statement and a diversity statement... can i submit both still? I know stanford and most other T14s say that's fine.

hemm

Bronze

Post by hemm » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:13 am

I wrote my 5-year as more generic "what skills do I want from law school" sort of thing, not a specific career path. Anyone else doing this?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:41 am

Is anyone write the 5-year plan in the form of Why Penn? I don't really want to specifically talk about my 5 year plan, do you think it is required for me to mention this plan? I was just going to talk about how much I love the school and what it has to offer me, but all this talk of the 5 year plan makes me think I must refer to it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

xqhp82

Bronze

Post by xqhp82 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:23 am

r6_philly wrote:Is anyone write the 5-year plan in the form of Why Penn? I don't really want to specifically talk about my 5 year plan, do you think it is required for me to mention this plan? I was just going to talk about how much I love the school and what it has to offer me, but all this talk of the 5 year plan makes me think I must refer to it.
I'm doing it in a similar format as my other Why X essays, except I mentioned how Penn's offerings would lead me to a career that I am suited for, and kind of force those career options as part of my 5-year plan. I feel that the term 'five year' popped out in my essay in an awkward way, but oh well, thats the best I can do.

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:47 am

richardhelms wrote:Anyone decide if they're going early decision at Penn yet?
I definitely am. I think I'd be happiest there and I like the push towards interdisciplinary study. Plus with the way my situation is, I think I will be completely hit and miss with top schools. And the fact that Penn has what is basically an addendum as an optional essay helps a lot given that I have a very legit thing to write about.

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:49 am

r6_philly wrote:Is anyone write the 5-year plan in the form of Why Penn? I don't really want to specifically talk about my 5 year plan, do you think it is required for me to mention this plan? I was just going to talk about how much I love the school and what it has to offer me, but all this talk of the 5 year plan makes me think I must refer to it.
I'm probably going to do it like that. I have a general idea of what I want to do, but I'm going to discuss how certain aspects of Penn's programs allow me to narrow it down and prepare me to succeed whichever way things go. I think.

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:53 am

Also, I'm doing two supplementals (not the art/literature one) and the optional. Doing the 'DS' on going to school abroad for all 4 years and teaching English in Vietnam, and writing the optional essay on how LSAC's policy re: foreign grades screws you if you went to a US high school and did dual enrolment (as in, my entire GPA is based on 5 dual enrolment grades because they don't covert UK grades to a GPA, and one of the grades is an F from a past-deadline drop).

Is everybody gearing up to submit on Oct 1? :mrgreen:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

silly101

Bronze

Post by silly101 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:24 am

i talked about specific programs at penn that will help with my future career
i didnt explicitly say "5 year" in my essay but it's pretty clear what i want to do
its essentially Why Penn

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:12 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I know exactly what I want to do, but I don't really want to be forced to frame it in a "5 year plan".

Any of you considering a joint degree? Do you think it would impact your chances of being admitted?

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:40 pm

r6_philly wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I know exactly what I want to do, but I don't really want to be forced to frame it in a "5 year plan".

Any of you considering a joint degree? Do you think it would impact your chances of being admitted?
I'm giving serious consideration to the JD/MSSP. I have no idea if it will impact admission.

hellome

Bronze

Post by hellome » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:00 am

i need some input...

i'm planning on writing my art/literature essay on a civil rights amendment i researched for a paper i wrote (the topic of the paper was not legal).

does this qualify as art or literature? (not art, i know. but literature?)

thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

re-applicant

Bronze

Post by re-applicant » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:21 am

cigrainger wrote: Is everybody gearing up to submit on Oct 1? :mrgreen:
ah, crap. I was going to submit tonight. I had no idea you can't do it yet. I would have spent the time on other apps.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:43 am

re-applicant wrote:
cigrainger wrote: Is everybody gearing up to submit on Oct 1? :mrgreen:
ah, crap. I was going to submit tonight. I had no idea you can't do it yet. I would have spent the time on other apps.
If you try to submit it on LSAC it says they're accepting them 9/24

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:52 am

So then, how many of you will be submitting at 12:01 on 9/24?

silly101

Bronze

Post by silly101 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:59 pm

does anyone want to read my 5year?
PM me

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:14 am

r6_philly wrote:So then, how many of you will be submitting at 12:01 on 9/24?
I'm hoping I will. :mrgreen:

hellome

Bronze

Post by hellome » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:01 am

hellome wrote:i need some input...

i'm planning on writing my art/literature essay on a civil rights amendment i researched for a paper i wrote (the topic of the paper was not legal).

thanks!
please? :cry:

re-applicant

Bronze

Post by re-applicant » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:10 am

hellome wrote:

thanks!
If you're really looking for answer, yes.

Literature isn't confined to just stories and poems. There is a reason that published writing in science is called scientific literature.

But I come from a school of thought that holds that anything can be read through the lens of literary criticism. Caveat emptor, if everything is literature, nothing is literature, and you have to be mindful of the rhetorical choice you're making in drawing the US Constitution into the ambit of "literature." It might be compelling if you talk about the amendment as literature, and it might not be compelling if you wax on about it from some other angle.

hellome

Bronze

Post by hellome » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:17 am

re-applicant wrote:
hellome wrote:

thanks!
If you're really looking for answer, yes.

Literature isn't confined to just stories and poems. There is a reason that published writing in science is called scientific literature.

But I come from a school of thought that holds that anything can be read through the lens of literary criticism. Caveat emptor, if everything is literature, nothing is literature, and you have to be mindful of the rhetorical choice you're making in drawing the US Constitution into the ambit of "literature." It might be compelling if you talk about the amendment as literature, and it might not be compelling if you wax on about it from some other angle.
thanks, that was helpful and interesting :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”