FAFSA Reqs

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Hannibal

FAFSA Reqs

Postby Hannibal » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:06 am

A lot of the apps that have become available ask if you plan on asking for financial aid. If you do, you need to file out a FAFSA and something else.

Does that mean the FAFSA has to be done and filed before it's considered complete?

gendefect

Re: FAFSA Reqs

Postby gendefect » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:00 pm

I'd like to know about this too.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:02 pm

No, your application for admission and the FAFSA are separate. I was accepted / rejected at several schools before I ever got around to the FAFSA.

But get to the FAFSA as quick as you can. The faster you get it submitted, the easier it is.

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:49 pm

kalvano wrote:No, your application for admission and the FAFSA are separate. I was accepted / rejected at several schools before I ever got around to the FAFSA.

But get to the FAFSA as quick as you can. The faster you get it submitted, the easier it is.

Don't forget you can't fill out the FAFSA until January of the year the relevant school year begins though (IE, January 2011 for 11-12 school year). Since you're presumably applying right now for Fall 2011, it would be a bit silly if they held your application until after you could fill out the 2011-12 FAFSA.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:06 pm

thalassocrat wrote:
kalvano wrote:No, your application for admission and the FAFSA are separate. I was accepted / rejected at several schools before I ever got around to the FAFSA.

Don't forget you can't fill out the FAFSA until January of the year the relevant school year begins though (IE, January 2011 for 11-12 school year). Since you're presumably applying right now for Fall 2011, it would be a bit silly if they held your application until after you could fill out the 2011-12 FAFSA.

I couldn't fill mine out until my accountant did my taxes anyway. But that was early enough.

Bottom line, do the applications and get them out of the way, then take a break, then worry about the FAFSA.

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:23 pm

kalvano wrote:I couldn't fill mine out until my accountant did my taxes anyway. But that was early enough.

Bottom line, do the applications and get them out of the way, then take a break, then worry about the FAFSA.

Great. That's what I figured, but it's nice to hear it confirmed.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”