Poll: Whittling down 2/3 sources for LOR's Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which 2 of the 3?

1)
27%
2)
27%
3)
45%

Total votes: 11

Sell Manilla

Bronze

Poll: Whittling down 2/3 sources for LOR's

Post by Sell Manilla » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:47 pm

I am applying this coming November.
I graduated in '08 & have 2 solid work-related LORs available.

Academic LOR's

1)
300-level Soft Sciences course senior year. A.
2-semester senior project for which she was my advisor. A.
She liked me a lot, but we've only talked once since graduation, which was me calling her & talking for a while, but I did all the questions-asking & she thought I was going to ask for a LOR. So, we pretty much haven't kept in touch. She's also kinda flaky & unpredictable.
I've already asked her to write me a LOR a month ago & she's agreed. I did so 'cause she was my advisor, but I'm not sure if I should use her due to the flakiness & unpredictability.

2)
Symbolic Logic, 200-level philosophy class, Freshmen year. A. (Does this count for something?)
Ethical Philosophy, 200-level, Sophomore year. A.
300-level Seminar on a specific philosopher, Junior year. A-. [he got a 2 for easiness on ratemyprofessor.com though, & is a notoriously tough grader.]
He liked me quite a bit, but was a really social prof & I never went to get drinks with him, so I wasn't in his top top favorite list. I went to office hours frequently though, & discussions were fun sometimes. He's preeeetty old, and miiiildly senile at this point, so I'm not sure how well he'll remember our interactions. However, he said that the Ethical Philosophy class I was a part of was the single best class he's ever taught in his career. It was also the single best & most motivating class I've ever taken. I also mention him in the rough draft of my personal statement.
Have not kept in touch with him AT ALL since graduation :-(. He is also not active at all in his field.

3)
International Relations, 100-level, Sophomore year. A.
He liked me quite a bit & we played poker together outside of class. We keep in touch through facebook & I wound up talking to him for a long time at our annual reunion, which was awesome 'cause everyone was trying to get a word in edgewise to say hi 'cause he's young and popular but he was clearly more interested in talking international relations & health care with me. (in reality it was probably only for a half-hour, but it seemed like hours)
Dude is pretty active in his field, went to Yale after undergrad, & will probably write me the best LOR. Problem is, I only took one class with him.

So, out of those three, which two?

Also, for colleges that accept 4 LORs, do you recommend using all 3 & going with one professional LOR, or going 2 & 2? Both are rock solid, kept in touch with them, & were interesting jobs, albeit totally unrelated to law.

Gold

Re: Poll: Whittling down 2/3 sources for LOR's

Post by 094320 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:03 pm

Sell Manilla

Bronze

Post by Sell Manilla » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:10 pm

So for colleges that allow 4, would you suggest 3 academic/ 1 professional?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Sell Manilla

Bronze

Post by Sell Manilla » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:01 pm

acrossthelake wrote: Not sure sending 4 is often a good idea, might annoy them, don't ya think?
I have no idea. Why wouldn't they only allow 2 if they only wanted two?
acrossthelake wrote:What's the quality of the professional LORs and the professional work itself?
I'd give it a 3.5 on a 1-5
acrossthelake wrote:How related is your current professional work to what you plan to do in law school?
Not. Related. At. All.

I heard it's a good idea to include at least one though, as it's the most recent me?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:07 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”