How best to prepare?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
poozer

How best to prepare?

Postby poozer » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:23 pm

I am 18, and looking for some advice about the future and law school.

As it stands, I will be attending the University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire this fall to double in Political Science and Music. I realize that at face value, this does not seem like a particularly impressive choice, especially if law school, hopefully ivy league law school, is in my line of sight.

My story is a little bit different than most peoples. I was a 4.0 student my first two years of highschool, top percent in standardized tests, all AP, you know the story. Anyways, I was accepted into the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, as a full-time PSEO student (as a junior and senior in high school, I took all my classes there). My first semester there I was 15 and not ready, and screwed up. I had a horrific 2.5 GPA that semester, which immediately killed any aspirations I had for ivy league admittance.

The following three semesters I had an A average, so my GPA isn't destroyed, but now I'm at Eau Claire. My plan is to be valedictorian at Eau Claire, then join the Peace Corps for one or two tours, and then hopefully attend either Michigan Law or Columbia Law. I realize this is a stretch, but I am very intelligent, and if I apply myself, I know that I can achieve the marks necessary to get into either school.

So this long post really breaks down to two questions. Does the quality of your school (Eau Claire in this instance) doom you even if you succeed there? And would joining the Peace Corps before law school hurt my chances? I'm of the opinion that a person should gain perspective on the world before they try to change it, or obtain any sort of power, and I think that I could defend that point of view and my choice to join the Peace Corps in a personal statement included in my application.

Any opinions or advice would be very much appreciated, this is a pretty crucial time for me. Thank you.

vespertiliovir

Re: How best to prepare?

Postby vespertiliovir » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:26 pm

Come back in like two years. Enjoy yourself -- get drunk, fuck bitches, etc. etc.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:37 pm

Undergrad does not matter. There may be a slight boost in attending an ivy, but it does not hurt to attend a state school.

Peace Corp is an awesome soft to have on a law school app. If you get the chance, definitely do it.

Keep your GPA up and start stressing about law school in two years.

poozer

Postby poozer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:41 am

manbearwig wrote:Undergrad does not matter. There may be a slight boost in attending an ivy, but it does not hurt to attend a state school.

Peace Corp is an awesome soft to have on a law school app. If you get the chance, definitely do it.

Keep your GPA up and start stressing about law school in two years.
Thanks for the advice :D!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”