Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Beantown26
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:03 pm

Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Postby Beantown26 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:20 pm

Removed...
Last edited by Beantown26 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Postby merichard87 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:53 pm

I think you need more explanation than simply your SAT score. A history of underperforming is not one test score. Also, I realize a 1050 is not close to a 1600 but I'm not sure its low enough to make your point.

And was your undergrad university nationally recognized as a difficult school?

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Postby sophia.olive » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:57 pm

I would drop the SAT thing all together. Who cares, it seems out of the blue.

Where are you applying, is your GPA considered high for your target schools?

User avatar
jdhopeful11
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Keep the SAT. Just say you have a history of underperforming on standardized tests, and it happened on the SAT but wasn't indicative of your performance in UG.

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Postby sophia.olive » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:11 pm

^
ummm...

I don't think your GPA is strong enough to show that.

Don't say this is just something you are not good at.... mainly because you will be taking a lot of tests in law school and they might generalize it as your inability to score well on tests (your gpa does not disprove this), and they definitely don't want you to bring this up again when you take the BAR exam.

User avatar
manbearwig
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:38 pm

Re: Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Postby manbearwig » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:13 pm

I'm not sure how effective it'll be. A lot of people have problems with standardized tests, and one SAT score doesn't really demonstrate a pattern. Also, your SAT score isn't that low and your GPA isn't that high.

User avatar
cinefile 17
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Postby cinefile 17 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:15 pm

In order for this to be a sound argument, like merichard said, your school must be a difficult one. If your SAT score was below your UG's median SAT and your UG GPA is above median, then you have a good point. If the median accepted SAT score at your UG is around a 1050 and your current college GPA is only slightly above median or something like that, than there is nothing to justify the idea that you underperformed.

Overall, I think you need more in your addendum than just your SAT score and GPA to show that your SAT was not indicative of your college performance. It definitely depends on how difficult your UG school is, what the SAT scores of the other students at your school were, and your class rank.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Postby Dany » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:16 pm

Yeah, addenda like this generally work only when you have a 3.9-4.0. No, a 1050 isn't great, but to be frank, neither is a 3.6. I just don't think this addendum is worth writing.

User avatar
MiamiUG
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:14 pm

Re: Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Postby MiamiUG » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:30 pm

Beantown26 wrote:Hey guys I drafted a law school Addendum regarding my LSAT score and was wondering if I could get some feedback...Thanks so much!!!

Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Dear Law School Admissions Committee:

When reviewing my application for admittance to law school, I ask the committee to take into consideration that standardized test scores have underestimated my academic potential in the past. For example, I scored a mere 1050 on the SAT in 2003 (documentation attached), yet I was able to achieve a 3.62 GPA, while majoring in accounting at the University of XXXXX.

I am confident that my application taken as a whole indicates that the LSAT score alone does not accurately evaluate my ambition, my endurance, or my tenacity to succeed in law school. Again, thank you for considering of my application to law school.


retake in October

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Postby kalvano » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:32 pm

An LSAT addendum should be something like "there were raccoons fucking outside the test room and they wouldn't stop the test, but the slamming and banging was very distracting."

Not "I don't do well on standardized tests, but please overlook the fact that the LSAT is the only thing you have to compare me to other applicants, pretty please, and I honestly promise I'll do tons better if you let me in."

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Postby jaydizzle » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:56 pm

Would an addendum like this help someone like me with a 3.9+, top of my major in business, and top 3% of a class of upwards of 1500? I'm trying my best here, but this LSAT thing isn't working out like I hoped.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Postby Barbie » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:00 pm

kalvano wrote:An LSAT addendum should be something like "there were raccoons fucking outside the test room and they wouldn't stop the test, but the slamming and banging was very distracting."

Not "I don't do well on standardized tests, but please overlook the fact that the LSAT is the only thing you have to compare me to other applicants, pretty please, and I honestly promise I'll do tons better if you let me in."


LOL!! Really?? I have 2 LSAT scores (9 pts difference) and I was thinking about writing an addendum (I was sick, but I feel like adcomms will be like... you're going to get sick in LS too dumbasssss)

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:00 pm

I wouldn't right this addendum. I am writing one saying please ignore my first lsat it was crap, look at my new one it is so much better.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Postby jaydizzle » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:04 pm

................
Last edited by jaydizzle on Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Postby kalvano » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:09 pm

Barbie wrote:
kalvano wrote:An LSAT addendum should be something like "there were raccoons fucking outside the test room and they wouldn't stop the test, but the slamming and banging was very distracting."

Not "I don't do well on standardized tests, but please overlook the fact that the LSAT is the only thing you have to compare me to other applicants, pretty please, and I honestly promise I'll do tons better if you let me in."


LOL!! Really?? I have 2 LSAT scores (9 pts difference) and I was thinking about writing an addendum (I was sick, but I feel like adcomms will be like... you're going to get sick in LS too dumbasssss)



That's a different story than having one score.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Postby Barbie » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:21 pm

Is it better to introduce an addendum like the one above? Dear blah blah blah? Mine are very unpersonalized. Just titled "GPA Addendum" at the top, with my name and LSAC acct number in the header.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:33 pm

"Dear Law School Admissions Committee" is appropriate.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Postby Barbie » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:34 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:"Dear Law School Admissions Committee" is appropriate.


So letter-like

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:35 pm

"If it ain't broke...".

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12392
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Postby gdane » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:42 pm

Barbie wrote:Is it better to introduce an addendum like the one above? Dear blah blah blah? Mine are very unpersonalized. Just titled "GPA Addendum" at the top, with my name and LSAC acct number in the header.


Hell yea! Barbie knows what shes talking about! This is the way to do it. An addendum is not a letter. Just title it "LSAT Addendum" when you apply and they'll know what it is. Also, definitely add more stuff in there. While you certainly did show the SAT who was the boss, by no means is it an out of the ballpark argument for why X school should put less emphasis on your LSAT score. Remember that admissions committees hate getting superflous stuff, so dont send stuff just to send stuff.

Good luck!

Beantown26
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:03 pm

Re: Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Postby Beantown26 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:12 pm

sophia.olive wrote:^
ummm...

I don't think your GPA is strong enough to show that.

Don't say this is just something you are not good at.... mainly because you will be taking a lot of tests in law school and they might generalize it as your inability to score well on tests (your gpa does not disprove this), and they definitely don't want you to bring this up again when you take the BAR exam.



I should be ok in that respects...I passed the CPA exam on the first try...Thanks!!!

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:21 pm

I've read elsewhere that the "Please take my LSAT in a different light because I've outperformed my test scores in the past" argument is a valid addendum, however, this is for the case of someone who maybe had an SAT score below the average at their school, yet grabbed like a 4.0 GPA anyway. Unless the OP goes to like MIT or CalTech, that SAT & GPA are consistent with performing at the level of the test, not outperforming.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Postby merichard87 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:42 pm

Beantown26 wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:^
ummm...

I don't think your GPA is strong enough to show that.

Don't say this is just something you are not good at.... mainly because you will be taking a lot of tests in law school and they might generalize it as your inability to score well on tests (your gpa does not disprove this), and they definitely don't want you to bring this up again when you take the BAR exam.



I should be ok in that respects...I passed the CPA exam on the first try...Thanks!!!


If you passed the CPA exam on the first try how are you arguing that you don't perform well on standardized tests? Is the CPA exam not a standardized test?

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Addendum Regarding LSAT Score

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:18 pm

Bump for my comments




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cavalier1138, Google [Bot], patrickkpaul and 9 guests