Would you consider this a helpful legal internship

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
notaznguy

Would you consider this a helpful legal internship

Postby notaznguy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:07 pm

First of all, let me post that I understand that internships and EC's do not factor significantly into your law school admissions and that it is primarily based on your LSAT and GPA. Yes, I understand that. However, I would still like to get some work experience in the field of law just to see if I like the field. Think about it as an internship for self knowledge.

Anyways, I've been "working" for an attorney (nonpaid) for this summer. The thing that makes it different from other internships is that I don't actually go to her office everyday. As a matter of fact, if I do go to her office, it's mainly to drop off assignments or for briefings.

Most of my work is emailed to me and the works include: writing IRAC memos where I apply and analyze the issues and case laws, reading and summarizing articles, filing complaints, and drafting demand letters.

For one, would you even consider it an internship since I mainly work at home? And if it is, do you think it's a good work experience to allow me to see if I really want to be a lawyer? Yes, it does sound like paralegal work, but when you think about it, a lawyer IS a paralegal with the power and authority to give legal advice and represent someone in court.

JJDancer

Re: Would you consider this a helpful legal internship

Postby JJDancer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:33 pm

Yes this counts as a legal internship - you're just working remotely. I can't comment on whether the quality/quantity of the work you did is enough to see if you really want to be a lawyer. There are a lot of different types of law and I'm sure aspects/areas of practicing law that you (and a lot of ppl, myself included) haven't been exposed to. If you are interested in criminal law/litigation then perhaps you want to intern somewhere where you will see courtroom proceedings firsthand. Etc etc. But it is a legal internship.

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:11 am

I can say most of the cases I worked on with this internship involved things like auto insurance, real estate settlements, and health care/life insurance denial and claims.

I actually have another upcoming internship this school year in something called Justice Corps. I'll be working with self-represented litigants and will be exposed to primarily cases involving small claims and housing law (i.e. people being evicted from their homes).

So far, I can say the majority of everything I've done is paperwork, but I do find it enjoyable and not something I'd hate. Sure it's a little tad boring, but then again, it is a job afterall. I am able to say that I'd be content with doing this type of work for a career. But you're right, I would definitely like to explore other areas of law.

Thank you for your response. I was worried nobody was going to respond to this thread.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:57 am

It can't hurt you, it's just hard to know how much it will help. If you already know you are interested in taking clinical classes (or participating in student organizations that do clinical work) you can tie your work experience to that interest. The Justice Corps thing will also work if you want to talk about public interest. Are you planning on getting a LoR from your employer?

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:55 am

Yes, I will most likely be getting a LoR from the attorney I worked for this summer. I know for a fact she will write a great one for me. She really liked me and constantly complimented me on my work, so that's 1 LoR down haha

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”