Good schools for internet law?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sapapple
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:20 pm

Good schools for internet law?

Postby sapapple » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:12 pm

I work in digital media and am looking into going to law school in next couple of years with the intention of studying cyber/internet law. I'm specifically interested in the legal issues surrounding online privacy, data mining, digital copyrights, etc. Does anyone know of schools that have particularly good reputations or clinics in this area, or should I just shoot for the best school I can get into?

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Good schools for internet law?

Postby BioEBear2010 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:44 pm

Four of the best schools in this area are also four of the best law schools in the country -- Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, and Columbia. In any event, general consensus says to go to the best school you can get into.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Good schools for internet law?

Postby Hannibal » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:44 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:Four of the best schools in this area are also four of the best law schools in the country -- Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, and Columbia. In any event, general consensus says to go to the best school you can get into.


Man, Yale took a hit in the rankings eh.

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Good schools for internet law?

Postby BioEBear2010 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:04 pm

Hannibal wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:Four of the best schools in this area are also four of the best law schools in the country -- Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, and Columbia. In any event, general consensus says to go to the best school you can get into.


Man, Yale took a hit in the rankings eh.

Yale, while an amazing school, is not as strong as the aforementioned schools in cyberlaw. And note that I said "of the best" rather than "the best."

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Good schools for internet law?

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:12 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:Four of the best schools in this area are also four of the best law schools in the country -- Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, and Columbia. In any event, general consensus says to go to the best school you can get into.


Man, Yale took a hit in the rankings eh.

Yale, while an amazing school, is not as strong as the aforementioned schools in cyberlaw. And note that I said "of the best" rather than "the best."


Go to Yale if you can and make good friends with the EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation). Very, very good friends.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Good schools for internet law?

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:13 pm

1) Get into HLS.
2) RA for Lawrence Lessig.
3) That is the closest you'll ever get to actually practicing "cyberlaw" yourself, so enjoy.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Good schools for internet law?

Postby Hannibal » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:15 pm

OP wants to be part of the Cyberpolice. Be part of those making sure consequences will never be the same.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Good schools for internet law?

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:18 pm

Hannibal wrote:OP wants to be part of the Cyberpolice. Be part of those making sure consequences will never be the same.


If that's the case, JD -> FBI wouldn't be a bad idea. He'll prob. get paid shit.

sapapple
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: Good schools for internet law?

Postby sapapple » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:37 am

Hannibal wrote:OP wants to be part of the Cyberpolice. Be part of those making sure consequences will never be the same.


I guessed that would be referenced by the fourth reply. I was two off, and I expected better delivery.

pattymac
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:44 pm

Re: Good schools for internet law?

Postby pattymac » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:22 pm

sapapple wrote:
Hannibal wrote:OP wants to be part of the Cyberpolice. Be part of those making sure consequences will never be the same.


I guessed that would be referenced by the fourth reply. I was two off, and I expected better delivery.


You beat me to it, lol...best part of that video is mom yelling "fucking gunna come here and beat her ass!" All jokes aside, that video sounds like an interview for WWF lol.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hellohalo, nightie, NUDad, packerboy31489, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests