Doing research for "Why" essays..

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nykfan7073

Doing research for "Why" essays..

Postby nykfan7073 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:01 pm

Does anybody have any tips on where I can do some substantial research for the "why" essays to schools like Pennsylvania or Michigan?

The only real resource I can think of is the official websites of the schools, but Im not sure if that is going to be enough.

Where else would you recommend doing research and reading up about the school?

kalvano

Re: Doing research for "Why" essays..

Postby kalvano » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:35 pm

Wikipedia is actually pretty helpful. Gives a history, notable alumni / professors, noted programs, etc.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Last edited by Sentry on Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:07 pm

nykfan7073 wrote:Does anybody have any tips on where I can do some substantial research for the "why" essays to schools like Pennsylvania or Michigan?

The only real resource I can think of is the official websites of the schools, but Im not sure if that is going to be enough.

Where else would you recommend doing research and reading up about the school?

You could always email student organizations you'd be interested in (for example, if you are African-American, contacting the Black Law Students Association would be good, because you could ask them about aspects of campus, what their organization does, etc.) All law school websites have lists of their organizations, so find some that are interesting and ask away. If you know of any alumni, even friends of friends, get their email address and see if they have any information for you. The daughter of my old pediatrician went to UVA law, and I've asked her a few things about UVA; alums are usually happy to talk about their school.

Also, keep digging around on the websites. You can find tons of information, and lots of videos (which are nice because while any applicant can browse the website, not many will take the time to watch the video.) For example, the video Georgetown's Moot Court competition is available online, and I watched a bit of it to get a feel for how talented their students were. Just get creative - there are tons of ways to get information!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”