Comment on My List?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Barbie

Comment on My List?

Postby Barbie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:18 pm

I'm bored, and I have been messing with my law school app list for a while. Thought I would throw it on here for some comments, critiques, some I should add or drop, the whole 9 yards... bc TLS is so helpful :)

Briefly ab me:
LSAT- 163
LSGPA- 3.1(petitioning on Monday to be changed to a 3.3) also have a really good GPA addendum (merrr, cancer treatments...)

I don't have a preference really as where to live, except I'm not really feeling the west coast. I live in FL (in state) but would prefer to leave it. I haven't travelled anywhere, really, but I would LOVE cold weather! Anyways, it's long, but here we go:

SUPER reach:
Bama
UGA
UNC
Colorado

reach:
Wake Forest
SMU
Ohio State

high targets:
UF
Tulane

targets:
FSU
UConn
Tenn
Kentucky
Pitt
Penn State
GA State

Safeties:
Miami
Stetson
LSU
USC
Louisville
Ole Miss
Denver

Barbie

Re: Comment on My List?

Postby Barbie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:28 pm

nuffin?? :(

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:37 pm

Consider moving Denver up into your target category if you want cold weather & distinct seasons in a great location.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:39 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Consider moving Denver up into your target category if you want cold weather & distinct seasons in a great location.

Denver is undoubtedly nice, but I've heard they have pretty bad career prospects even for their rank, etc. Is this not true?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:42 pm

And, safeties for me are pretty much schools I def wouldn't pay sticker for...

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:44 pm

I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment about Denver's placement. But I believe that it does better than some of your target law schools. Also consider that many law grads stay locally or regionally; Denver is a nice place to live.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:34 pm

I would put Denver in with Pitt and Penn State, and prefer to go there.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:37 pm

kalvano wrote:I would put Denver in with Pitt and Penn State, and prefer to go there.

Kal what do you think about my shot at admission with these schools? Mostly (besides Denver I guess) in the right categories?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Barbie wrote:
kalvano wrote:I would put Denver in with Pitt and Penn State, and prefer to go there.

Kal what do you think about my shot at admission with these schools? Mostly (besides Denver I guess) in the right categories?

Yeah, looks like it. Wisconsin might be worth an app, too. It has great prospects in the state, cold weather, and you won't have to sweat the bar exam.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:51 pm

beachbum wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Yeah, looks like it. Wisconsin might be worth an app, too. It has great prospects in the state, cold weather, and you won't have to sweat the bar exam.

I was born in Milwaukee, but haven't been there since I was 2. I'll look into it though, thanks :)

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:59 pm

Barbie wrote:

I think you're about right, and about 1 LSAT point away from much better shots at the schools you want to go to.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:02 pm

kalvano wrote:
Barbie wrote:

I think you're about right, and about 1 LSAT point away from much better shots at the schools you want to go to.

Yeah. I think I'm going to send my apps out to all my schools except for my super reaches (except colorado.. the lady said just get it in as early as possible) but not sent it to UGA, Bama, or UNC until after I get my Oct. LSAT score (beware the insta-ding!)

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:13 pm

With your current numbers I think you have a shot at Alabama and UGA. Not so much UNC. You can definitely get in to most of the schools on your list.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:18 pm

I agree with gdane5 that your LSAT makes you a competitive candidate at all of your schools; the trick, however, is to apply early.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:21 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I agree with gdane5 that your LSAT makes you a competitive candidate at all of your schools; the trick, however, is to apply early.

Definitely out at Colorado and UNC.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:32 pm

kalvano wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:I agree with gdane5 that your LSAT makes you a competitive candidate at all of your schools; the trick, however, is to apply early.

Definitely UNC because of LSAT and GPA and Colorado because of GPA. I'd apply to all the other ones though. Good chance.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:51 pm

gdane5 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Definitely UNC because of LSAT and GPA and Colorado because of GPA. I'd apply to all the other ones though. Good chance.

I feel like I have more of a shot at Colorado than Bama and UGA... IDK why. The lady at Colorado did say that with the medical documentation I am providing that it will definitly help put more emphasis on my 3.8 degree GPA, but I agree that I will definitly struggle. The 3.3 would be a lot better than the 3.1, though. Fingers crossed for my appeal to be approved!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:55 pm

Barbie wrote:I feel like I have more of a shot at Colorado than Bama and UGA... IDK why. The lady at Colorado did say that with the medical documentation I am providing that it will definitly help put more emphasis on my 3.8 degree GPA, but I agree that I will definitly struggle. The 3.3 would be a lot better than the 3.1, though. Fingers crossed for my appeal to be approved!

I hate to bring you kicking and screaming into the real world, but what else is she going to say?

"Don't waste your time, it's not worth it."

She'd get fired pretty quick.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:59 pm

kalvano wrote:
Barbie wrote:I feel like I have more of a shot at Colorado than Bama and UGA... IDK why. The lady at Colorado did say that with the medical documentation I am providing that it will definitly help put more emphasis on my 3.8 degree GPA, but I agree that I will definitly struggle. The 3.3 would be a lot better than the 3.1, though. Fingers crossed for my appeal to be approved!

I hate to bring you kicking and screaming into the real world, but what else is she going to say?

There are schools that have told me that I am not a competitive candidate when compared to their typical admissions standards...

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:00 pm

As blunt as he was, Kal was right. Ha.

Barbie, just apply. The medical documentation and the extenuating circumstances that you faced will definitely be taken into consideration.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:00 pm

Isn't UNC's mid-range LSAT 157-164 ? My opinion is that your toughest school for admission is Georgia.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:04 pm

It's not like I think I'm going to be accepted! It's in the super-reach area haha. BUT, on LSN, there are a few people with numbers clsoe to mine who squeaked in, so you NEVER know :) Have to throw a few hail-marys here and there.

and about UNC- I'm not sure, but they LOOOOVE NC residents.. which I am not.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Barbie wrote:
kalvano wrote:

There are schools that have told me that I am not a competitive candidate when compared to their typical admissions standards...

I'm simply saying don't take what she says at face value.

The cancer thing may engender enough sympathy to get an acceptance. You never know.

I'm not saying don't apply, I'm just saying don't apply or hope because of what she said.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:07 pm

Barbie wrote:and about UNC- I'm not sure, but they LOOOOVE NC residents.. which I am not.

That's the reason I said "out." Your numbers aren't that far-off, but they are so pissy about non-residents.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:08 pm

USNews ranks "the hardest & easiest law schools to get into". Alabama is ranked 20th, Georgia 26th, Colorado 30th, & UNC 39th.
Three factors were considered: acceptance rate, LSAT range & GPA range.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”