After reading up on it, why even go to law school unless...?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JazzOne

Re: After reading up on it, why even go to law school unless...?

Postby JazzOne » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:38 am

ResolutePear wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
jayn3 wrote:how the hell has this thread not been locked yet.....

Nobody has committed the mortal sin yet.

Tag.

The only moral sin here is that you shouldn't put poker on your resume for a firm.

Eh, wrong thread.

I thoroughly enjoyed playing poker with the partners at my firm. I may not get an offer, but it was an enjoyable game nonetheless.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:55 am

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:58 am

paratactical wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
MASSIVE FAIL!

TITCR

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

taxguy

Postby taxguy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:30 am

Ok, here is my perspective. Admittedly, I am one guy, and much of what I know was based on experience of prior years,which has changed due to the economic conditions. thus, you should evaluate what I say accordingly:

First, in the past, if you wanted a job with a top 100, big law firm, you either must have attended a T15 school and do reasonably well or you could have attended a lower tier but must have graduated in the top 5% or so of the class and make law review OR you have to make connections. If you got a hiring partner to like you, it won't matter what school you attend. I want to University of Miami Law School. We did have top firms recruting there. Since there aren't many positions open for top law firms, some of this may have changed.

However, there is hiring at the smaller, mid-sized firms. These firms will hire from the top local school in the state. However, they usually want kids in the top 10% of their class and/or law review.

If you want government, you can go to any law school. However, even the government is more competive these days due to large layoffs among law firms. You should be in the top 10% or so of your law class.

Although law school is primarily designed for the practice of law, it might be very useful for other professions such as tax specialities, dispute mediators, financial planners. What law school IS NOT GOOD FOR is for those people who don't know what they want to do. If you majored in a liberal arts and can't get a job, don't think law school is your golden ticket. I believe that there are too many students who are like this and are going to be very dissappointed.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”