After reading up on it, why even go to law school unless...?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
msusha15

After reading up on it, why even go to law school unless...?

Postby msusha15 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:45 am

you go to a top 14? and if its not like top 50, forget about it.....

How true is this? Why do people even go to the lower tier law schools if you can't get a job and it looks terrible? Or is this blown wildly out of proportion? Surely there is a payoff, what am I missing here?

hellokitty

Re: After reading up on it, why even go to law school unless...?

Postby hellokitty » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:49 am

You should really have a look around the site a bit before making posts like this one.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:53 am

You can get a job. Just not one that pays the bills especially well.

emorystud2010

Postby emorystud2010 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:55 am

Hannibal wrote:You can get a job. Just not one that pays the bills especially well.

TCR in terms of those who attend below top 20 (i still believe vandy, ucla, and the like do just as well as a georgetown).

msusha15

Postby msusha15 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:55 am

hellokitty wrote:You should really have a look around the site a bit before making posts like this one.

Sorry, just been seeing a lot of this everywhere i've looked

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:56 am

Hannibal wrote:You can get a job. Just not one that pays the bills especially well.

...which is less of a problem to some people than others. law students who applied straight out of undergrad and were T14 or bust are paying a lot more than people with those same numbers who went for a regional T2-3.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:57 am

Also, the impression I've gotten is that if you're at near the top of your class anywhere in T1-T2, you'll still be fought over.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:14 am

I talked to a Big law recruiter and this was her impression=

Top 14 if you want to do big law and do not want any geographical constraints.

Some schools are exceptions she mainly mentioned Boston College and George Washington University.

If you go outside the top 14 you need to stay regional. But there are exceptions...

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:16 am

msusha15 wrote:you go to a top 14? and if its not like top 50, forget about it.....

How true is this? Why do people even go to the lower tier law schools if you can't get a job and it looks terrible? Or is this blown wildly out of proportion? Surely there is a payoff, what am I missing here?

because this board is extremely elitist, which is no surprise on an online forum.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:24 am

jdhopeful11 wrote:
msusha15 wrote:you go to a top 14? and if its not like top 50, forget about it.....

because this board is extremely elitist, which is no surprise on an online forum.

elitist it may be, but it isnt entirely wrong

sure there are a lot of reasons to go to local law schools; if you dont mind the mind boggling debt or you have a large/full scholly, getting a law job in the local area is exactly what some ppl want

but if you're hoping for a starting salary near or exceeding 6 figures straight out of law school (i.e. biglaw work), then ITE you're pretty screwed outside of T14ish (a few exceptions and situations, blah blah)

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:45 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
jdhopeful11 wrote:

sure there are a lot of reasons to go to local law schools; if you dont mind the mind boggling debt or you have a large/full scholly, getting a law job in the local area is exactly what some ppl want

but if you're hoping for a starting salary near or exceeding 6 figures straight out of law school (i.e. biglaw work), then ITE you're pretty screwed outside of T14ish (a few exceptions and situations, blah blah)

A JD doesn't entitle you to a good life. It's just another tool and in life.. well, sometimes stuff just doesn't work out.

One can argue that a law degree is akin to a wrench.

Chances are a Craftsman/Snap-On(Harvard/Yale) wrench has less chance of failure than say a generic(T4) wrench sold by a parts store while working on your engine(life). Doesn't mean both can't fail.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:50 am

T14 or bust is a little extreme - a good percentage of GW, USC, UCLA, Vandy, BC, BU grads ect. ect. I am sure do not regret their decision to go to law school. But truthfully unless you can get help paying I dont understand spending 100k+ for a lower tier law school as a career decision but then again it definitely works out for some people...

there is a lot of craziness around here - people should be informed about the investment they are making but going through this process I feel a sense of solidarity with those who are doing the same - whatever their numbers, good luck to them

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:04 am

ResolutePear wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
jdhopeful11 wrote:

A JD doesn't entitle you to a good life. It's just another tool and in life.. well, sometimes stuff just doesn't work out.

Chances are a Craftsman/Snap-On(Harvard/Yale) wrench has less chance of failure than say a generic(T4) wrench sold by a parts store while working on your engine(life). Doesn't mean both can't fail.

lol i agree w/ your assessment -- a bit confused why you bothered to quote me, however haha

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:34 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
jdhopeful11 wrote:

lol i agree w/ your assessment -- a bit confused why you bothered to quote me, however haha

The short answer: It's easier to hit quote than scrolling down that extra bit to press "Reply".
--ImageRemoved--

I imagized that for those that don't understand.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:35 am

T-14 because it's the easy way. And I'm not trying to judge anyone--hell, if I'd go that route if I could--but this T14 or bust mentality is based on kids who want to practice in high powered, high paying environments from day one. Several members of our board have managed to get jobs, and do all right, despite going much lower. A'nold attends a TTTT and supposedly got a summer associateship which may become a full time position.

The lower the rankings you go, the more work is required of you, but that doesn't mean things are cut off. T14 are still gold, though problems--especially among transfers--are cropping up. T25 or 30 seem to be doing pretty damn well regionally, with the schools melting a lot after that. Still, there is nuance. I'd rather be top 25% at Indy law than top 50 percent at Bloomington, despite the difference in rank. By all accounts Indy has Indianapolis on lockdown, will always have it on lockdown, and despite it not being a job generating hub, at least there will always be jobs out there. Same holds for Pitt and ND, although no one seems to be able to say how ND is doing post-OCI.

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:58 am

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:18 am

This is exactly why I decided to go to Cooley, and not even bother applying to better schools I could easily get into. I can sail through, be a God amongst my peers, and always be underestimated by tools.

GoBroncos22!

Postby GoBroncos22! » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:50 am

Heres why I am going to Law school, and I certainly aint goin to any T14, or even top 50 probably. First off, I want to continue my education, and what the hell am I going to do with a political science undergrad? Nothing. Law fascinates me. Most likely I will end up attending the only Law school in my state, the University of Idaho which has a stellar reputation in town and almost every attorney or Judge I have met went to U of I. I am not looking for Biglaw opportunities obviously, but i have been told the legal market in Boise is one of the fastest expanding in the nation and will be in dire need of attorneys in a few years. I can get through a law degree at U of I with most likely a full ride, or close to it, considering my LSAT is way above their 75%. So hopwefuly my debt will be close to $0 upon graduating. I know I probably couldnt take my JD from U of I and get in somwhere huge in other parts of the nation, but for what I want to do, including staying in Boise, it will be sufficient and I imagine a wise investment, thought I may not ever end up making over 100,000.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:55 am

Newsflash - people can be irrational.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:05 pm

Can I just point out and say that I love the not-so-subtle pro-BC trolling that has taken place in 2/ out of the 8 or so posts in this one page thread?

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:33 am

Maybe because not everyone's final life plan is to become a corporate shill for money. To whore yourself out for money like that is less respectable than actually whoring.

Also, 60-90k is a good enough salary for people who don't need to buy expensive luxury products to compensate for (insert stereotype here)

Hell it was more than I was expecting to make until I was 32 or so in my previous career path, and I was in a pretty respectable career

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:14 am

Among other things, scholarships, IBR, disinterest in BigLaw, some combination thereof.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:53 am

YHS or bust.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:25 am

Eh, it really depends on the individual. Some want to maximize their chances at Biglaw, so they go to the highest-ranked school available to them. Others want to minimize their debt, so they take a big scholarship to a lower-ranked school in the market they want to practice. It's all just a gamble. Option 1 allows you better chances at hitting the jackpot, but terrible consequences (six-figure debt) if you don't. Option 2 significantly lessens your chances of winning, but has far less severe consequences if you don't. It's all risk/reward.

grunmn

Postby grunmn » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 am

Good post. This is obviously something that goes through all prospective student's minds. I have been wondering why law is such a sought after degree as well. I mean it's so competitive with costs well over 90K/ yr. and I just don't understand it. Especially, with law schools pumping out thousands of lawyers a year. You'd think the market is pretty saturated.

I suppose like stated above though that with an interest and fascination for law, an education in it is priceless even though paying back the loans can be trying. Also like many I am in no way going to a t14 school, more than likely a state school (although being an Alaska resident makes college choices more of a hassle when dealing with in-state tuition costs).

I guess why we are all doing this is something everyone has to figure out for themselves. I mean law isn't really all that prestigious, and the more I research it just like a BA or MBA. Everyone goes for one when they don't know what they want to do in life.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”