Adding schools on the LSAC site

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SteveIP

Adding schools on the LSAC site

Postby SteveIP » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:40 pm

On the LSAC web site, I am adding schools that I have attended. As a later adult student, I've actually attended quite a few schools.

I was planning to add a few at a time, and then click [Continue]. However, the text says, "If you have added ALL of the institutions you attended, select the Continue button to proceed."

Does this mean that, once I click [Continue], I am prevented from adding any more schools?

Thanks,
Steve

zworykin

Re: Adding schools on the LSAC site

Postby zworykin » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:08 am

No. You can go back and add more.

Remember that any school you add, you MUST obtain a transcript from before LSAC will create your academic profile. Of course, that's not really that big an issue, since you're supposed to get transcripts from every school you ever attended anyway, even if you never transferred the credits and they didn't mean anything.

Also, depending on how many schools you're talking about... someone recently posted that LSAC would only count the most recent 8 (or was it 10?) schools they attended, even though they acquired transcripts from all of them. So, be aware of that.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:20 am

zworykin wrote:Also, depending on how many schools you're talking about... someone recently posted that LSAC would only count the most recent 8 (or was it 10?) schools they attended, even though they acquired transcripts from all of them. So, be aware of that.

So you are saying that if you attend enough institutions you can actually get rid of freshman year? Sweet... there have got to be, like, 8 more institutions in-state alone that I can use to get rid of those WFs!

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:33 am

is the common application supposed to be filled for every school we apply, or is it like a one time thing that we just do for one school and it copies over?

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:35 am

merc280 wrote:is the common application supposed to be filled for every school we apply, or is it like a one time thing that we just do for one school and it copies over?

It copies over best it can. It doesn't mesh up too well sometimes.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:47 am

Hannibal wrote:
merc280 wrote:is the common application supposed to be filled for every school we apply, or is it like a one time thing that we just do for one school and it copies over?

So I have to check it for every school I apply to just to be certain it copied over? or is this something the schools don't put too much emphasis on?

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:12 am

Schools don't see the common info form. It simply populates common fields on the applications like name and address,purportedly to save time. I cleared it all out because the formatting was abominable when I opened an actual application. So, either use it and proofread well or just type everything over on each application.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:38 am

merc280 wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

So I have to check it for every school I apply to just to be certain it copied over? or is this something the schools don't put too much emphasis on?

It'll be obvious if it doesn't copy over well. You DO have to fill out every application, just some are more work than others.

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:11 pm

Hannibal wrote:
merc280 wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

It'll be obvious if it doesn't copy over well. You DO have to fill out every application, just some are more work than others.

Yeah. It's actually kinda funny to see how badly the formatting carries over. Pro tip: Don't put dashes in your phone number on the common form.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:21 pm

firemedicprelaw wrote:
zworykin wrote:Also, depending on how many schools you're talking about... someone recently posted that LSAC would only count the most recent 8 (or was it 10?) schools they attended, even though they acquired transcripts from all of them. So, be aware of that.

So you are saying that if you attend enough institutions you can actually get rid of freshman year? Sweet... there have got to be, like, 8 more institutions in-state alone that I can use to get rid of those WFs!

No... It will drop the institution in which you recieved the least amount of credits, not the first one. This is my understanding, atleast.

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:13 pm

Barbie wrote:
firemedicprelaw wrote:

No... It will drop the institution in which you recieved the least amount of credits, not the first one. This is my understanding, atleast.

I think the guy zworykin was talking about just couldn't add schools after his eight. LSAC won't push any off, it just won't let you add more, so if you don't enter them in chronological order in theory it could work like this. However, I think if you've got that many schools and it's not spread over a decade or more like it was for that other guy, adcomms might get a bit suspicious.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”